Top 10 Directors of All Time: Recommendations

Tools    

Am interested in film history, so nice broad range would be good. Could you also put their most famous film and your personal recommendation?

Welcome to the human race...
What if their "most famous film" (does this extend to films that are famous for the wrong reason) and my personal recommendation are the same?

Welcome to the human race...
That's what I thought, but then she asks for something more specific so it almost justifies being a separate thread.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Here are a few of the all time greats and some of the movies they are most well known for, in bold are the ones I've seen and really enjoyed, I've seen Titanic and whilst it's great wasn't the biggest of fans and felt it was highly overrated:

Steven Spielberg- Indiana Jones
, Schindler's List, Jaws, ET

Akira Kurosawa-
Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai

The Coen Brothers- No Country for Old Men
, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Miller's Crossing, Burn After Reading

David Fincher- Fight Club
, Zodiac, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Se7en

Francis Ford Copolla- Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, The Godfather Pt 2

Alfred Hitchcock- North By Northwest
, Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window

Stanley Kuberick-
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Paths of Glory, Spartacus, A Clockwork Orange

Martin Scorscese- Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, The Departed

Clint Eastwood-
Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, Letters From Iwo Jima, Mystic River

Billy Wilder-
Double Indeminty, Some Like it Hot, Sunset Blvd, Witness for the Prosecution

James Cameroon-
The Titanic, The Terminator, Aliens, T2

Tim Burton- Batman
, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands

That Tarantino Guy
- All his movies

I know they are not all time greats but guys I really enjoy:

Guy Ritchie- Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barells, Snatch, Rock n Rolla

Darren Aronofsky- Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler

Danny Boyle- Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire

Semper Fooey
I'm listing well regarded diectors not on the previous list. I've listed what is regarded as their best film and two, if I'm not sure.

Ingmar Bergman The Seventh Seal

Jean Renoir The Grand Illusion

Robert Altman Mash

Micheal Powel The Red Shoes

David Lean Lawrence of Arabia

Frank Capra It's a Wonderful Life Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

John Ford The Searchers The Grapes of Wrath

George Cukor The Philadelphia Story

Sam Peckingpah The Wild Bunch

Fred Zinnemann High Noon

What if their "most famous film" (does this extend to films that are famous for the wrong reason) and my personal recommendation are the same?
That's fine. It's just so that if I get interested into a certain director, I have a bit of a guiding hand.

The sort of thing I'm looking for is not just a list of directors who have directed a quite good film, but a list of innovative directors. Preferably not too obscure as I want a kind of realistic progression of film making.

The reason for this is that I want to be a theatre director but am interested in seeing the techniques of various film directors

Originally Posted by TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck
The reason for this is that I want to be a theatre director but am interested in seeing the techniques of various film directors
As for some directors who have had acclaimed careers on both stage and screen check out...
  • Orson Welles
    Citizen Kane, Othello, The Trial, Chimes at Midnight, F for Fake
  • Elia Kazan
    Panic in the Streets, A Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront,
    East of Eden, Splendor in the Grass
  • Joshua Logan
    Picnic, Bus Stop, South Pacific , Camelot, Paint Your Wagon
  • Arthur Penn
    The Miracle Worker, Bonnie & Clyde, Little Big Man, Night Moves
  • Mike Nichols
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Graduate, Catch-22, Working Girl,
    "Angels in America"
  • Bob Fosse
    Sweet Chairty, Cabaret, Lenny, All That Jazz, Star 80
  • Sam Mendes
    American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Revolutionary Road, Away We Go
  • Baz Luhrmann
    Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!, Australia
  • Julie Taymor
    Titus, Frida, Across the Universe

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Semper Fooey
The previous is an outstanding list. Other notable theatrical directors turned film directors:

Rouben Mamoulian

Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

The Mark of Zorro (1940)

James Whale

Bride of Frankenstein

Showboat (1936)

Vincent Minnelli

Meet Me in St. Louis

Gigi

Not sure if he was from the stage, but know for his cinematic technique adapting plays to film:

Sidney Lumet

12 Angry Men

Long Days Journey into the Night

Network

As for some other directors to examine...

John Cassavetes
Cassavetes is a love-him or hate-him filmmaker, but whether or not you respond to his work he is the undisputed godfather of American independent cinema and a true actor's director. I'd suggest A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Opening Night (1977), The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976), Faces (1968) and Minnie & Moskowitz (1971) as a good jumping off point to see if you groove to him. His most frequent on-screen collaborator was his wife, the great Gena Rowlands.

John Huston
One of the prototypical writer/directors of Hollywood's Golden Age, a Hemingwayesque figure who worked steadily until his death in 1987 at the age of eighty-one. Huston's work covers a wide spectrum of genres, styles and techniques. His early great works include The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), The Asphalt Jungle (1950) and The African Queen (1951), his middle career has such flicks as Moulin Rouge (1952), The Misfits (1961), The List of Adrian Messenger (1963) and The Night of the Iguana (1964), with latter greats such as Fat City (1972), The Man Who Would Be King (1975), Prizzi's Honor (1985) and The Dead (1987). He had six pairings with his friend Humphrey Bogart but also worked with generations of actors from Bette Davis, John Garfield and Edward G. Robinson to John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and Burt Lancaster to Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Sean Connery and George C. Scott to Jack Nicholson, Jeff Bridges, Albert Finney and even Sylvester Stallone.

François Truffaut
Probably the best-known and perhaps the best-loved of the French New Wave filmmakers, a cinema critic turned iconic writer/director with beloved Humanistic characters and a playful sense of humor who became an international sensation starting with his feature debut The 400 Blows (1959). His influence and popularity continued from Shoot the Piano Player (1960) and Jules & Jim (1962) to The Bride Wore Black (1968) and Mississippi Mermaid (1969) to Day for Night (1973) and The Story of Adele H. (1975) to The Last Metro (1980) and Confidentially Yours (1983). Great at writing for and capturing marvelous performances from children and women and, well...just about everyone, actually.

Preston Sturges
Maverick raconteur who quickly ascended from screenwriter to a writer/director who had a relatively brief but practically perfect run in the 1940s as one of the smartest purveyors of screen comedy, romance, wit and satire. His reign in actual production was short, but the celluloid jewels he left us are timeless and incessantly influential. See for yourself and fall in love with The Lady Eve, The Palm Beach Story, Sullivan's Travels, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Christmas in July, Hail the Conquering Hero and Unfaithfully Yours (1948).

Also check out the individual threads devoted to Marty Scorsese HERE, the German director Werner Herzog HERE, the controversial but often brilliant Roman Polanski HERE, American comic genius Albert Brooks HERE and the fantastic worlds of Terry Gilliam HERE.

Banned from Hollywood.
10.Steven Spielberg (greatest achievements: Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind / E.T. / Saving Private Ryan)

9.Kryzsztof Kieslowski (The Double Life Of Veronique / Camera Buff / Three Colours Trilogy (although i have only seen the Blue movie only )

8.Ridley Scott (Blade Runner / Alien / Gladiator)

7.Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction / Kill Bill vol1+2 / Inglourious Basterds)

6.Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver / Raging Bull / The Departed)

5.Alfred Hitchcock (The Birds / Vertigo / Psycho)

4.Michael Mann (The Insider / Collateral / Heat)

3.Ingmar Bergman (Wild Strawberries / Autumn Sonata / Seventh Seal)

2.Akira Kurosawa (Ikiru / Stray Dog / Ran)

1.Woody Allen (Take The Money and Run / Manhattan / Match Point)

some customers may get their dicks ripped off
Wes Anderson- All

Danny Boyle- Trainspotting, 28 Days Later

Tim Burton- Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands

Terry Gilliam- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

David Fincher- Fight Club, Se7en

The Coen Brothers- The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou

Guy Ritchie- Revolver, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Martin Scorsese- Good Fellas, Taxi Driver

Francis Ford Coppola- Apocolypse Now, The Godfather

Mel Brooks- Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles

Bryan Singer for Superman.
There is only one Director for me....That is Mr. Bryan Singer

His movies include:
Public Access (1993), The Usual Suspects (1995), Apt Pupil (1998), X-Men (2000), X-Men 2 (2003), Superman Returns (2006) and Valkyrie (2008).

And i love them all...

Paul Thomas Anderson

Magnolia , Hard Eight , Boogie Nights , There Will Be Blood , Punch Drunk Love

Takeshi Kitano

Sonatine , Zatoichi , Fireworks , Kikujiro

Coen Brothers

No Country for Old Men , The Big Lebowski , Miller's Crossing , Fargo

Hayao Miyazaki

Spirited Away , Castle in the Sky , Porco Rosso , Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea , Kiki's Delivery Service

This list is hard to make.

However, I know the following directors are worthy of being considered for the top 10:

Steven Speilberg

Martin Scorsese

Quentin Tarantino

Stanley Kubrick

Clint Eastwood

Ethan and Joel Coen

Oliver Stone

Spike Lee

Paul Thomas Anderson

David Fincher

Brian DePalma

Ron Howard

Robert Zemeckis

Richard Donner

Robert Rodriguez

John Hughes

Rob Reiner

James Cameron

Mel Brooks

Terence Malick

Francis Ford Coppola

James Mangold

Alexander Payne

Sam Mendes

Tim Burton

Mel Gibson

Alfred Hitchcock

Paul Verhoeven

As for some other directors to examine...
John Cassavetes
Cassavetes is a love-him or hate-him filmmaker, but whether or not you respond to his work he is the undisputed godfather of American independent cinema and a true actor's director. I'd suggest A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Opening Night (1977), The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976), Faces (1968) and Minnie & Moskowitz (1971) as a good jumping off point to see if you groove to him. His most frequent on-screen collaborator was his wife, the great Gena Rowlands.

John Huston
One of the prototypical writer/directors of Hollywood's Golden Age, a Hemingwayesque figure who worked steadily until his death in 1987 at the age of eighty-one. Huston's work covers a wide spectrum of genres, styles and techniques. His early great works include The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), The Asphalt Jungle (1950) and The African Queen (1951), his middle career has such flicks as Moulin Rouge (1952), The Misfits (1961), The List of Adrian Messenger (1963) and The Night of the Iguana (1964), with latter greats such as Fat City (1972), The Man Who Would Be King (1975), Prizzi's Honor (1985) and The Dead (1987). He had six pairings with his friend Humphrey Bogart but also worked with generations of actors from Bette Davis, John Garfield and Edward G. Robinson to John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and Burt Lancaster to Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Sean Connery and George C. Scott to Jack Nicholson, Jeff Bridges, Albert Finney and even Sylvester Stallone.

François Truffaut
Probably the best-known and perhaps the best-loved of the French New Wave filmmakers, a cinema critic turned iconic writer/director with beloved Humanistic characters and a playful sense of humor who became an international sensation starting with his feature debut The 400 Blows (1959). His influence and popularity continued from Shoot the Piano Player (1960) and Jules & Jim (1962) to The Bride Wore Black (1968) and Mississippi Mermaid (1969) to Day for Night (1973) and The Story of Adele H. (1975) to The Last Metro (1980) and Confidentially Yours (1983). Great at writing for and capturing marvelous performances from children and women and, well...just about everyone, actually.

Preston Sturges
Maverick raconteur who quickly ascended from screenwriter to a writer/director who had a relatively brief but practically perfect run in the 1940s as one of the smartest purveyors of screen comedy, romance, wit and satire. His reign in actual production was short, but the celluloid jewels he left us are timeless and incessantly influential. See for yourself and fall in love with The Lady Eve, The Palm Beach Story, Sullivan's Travels, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Christmas in July, Hail the Conquering Hero and Unfaithfully Yours (1948).

Also check out the individual threads devoted to Marty Scorsese HERE, the German director Werner Herzog HERE, the controversial but often brilliant Roman Polanski HERE, American comic genius Albert Brooks HERE and the fantastic worlds of Terry Gilliam HERE.
Well done, Pike!!!! It's nice to see someone recognize genius instead of just listing the directors currently playing down the street at the Cineplex.

Here's a question for Pike, Will.15, and others who didn't pull their lists of directors out of the latest issue of People magazine:

Who would you pick as The Most Versatile Director Ever? The director able to take on--and succeed with--a wide variety of projects: dramas, comedy, action, Westerns, film noir, musicals, horror, crime, epics, big outdoor movies with many characters, small intimate films with small casts, lots of special effects, and none at all, any way you want to slice it. He or she should have the demonstrable ability to work with "problem stars" like Monroe and others and get the best performance from them; also to spotlight a new star like Audrey Hepburn and create a legendary "overnight success." Someone with a reputation as an "actor's director" rather than as a "woman's director" or a "man's director." Seems like an ability to make a B-movie shine or do a remake from a new vantage point might also be a factor.

Doesn't have to be your favorite director or even the best director ever--just looking for the one who stretched his directorial muscles more than most. Try to keep it to one person, but if you must list an also-ran close second please feel free.

Who would you pick as The Most Versatile Director Ever?
Howard Hawks, or maybe William Wyler? Both were pretty versatile. Although I don't think Wyler worked with Marilyn Monroe, or Hawks with Audrey Hepburn.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."