What was the movie that made you love movies?

Tools    

Weve all seen alot of great movies, but theres one film that made you appreciate movies more than the casual viewer. Most of the time it isnt something epic, but more forgettable. Except to you.

So this isnt another "Whats Your Favorite Movie?!" thread where you could list a bunch of films, but what can you remember was the film that made you seek film. Made you a movie buff. Theres only one.

My choice I never saw coming...

The World According To Garp

Why I have no idea. I was enthralled. I was like 12 or 13 and cried at the end. From his childhood on was just the quirkiest most bizarre story ever told, but with a fluidity and rhythm which never seems contrived. Not yet have I seen a director handle such eccentricities and bizarreness without overdoing it. Most of the time theyd just make it a stupid comedy rather than try and sell it like the book read. I read the book too and its actually weirder. George Roy Hill was a better storyteller than John Irving. Speilbergs JAWS was better than Benchleys for that matter but I digress.

Glenn Close, and John Lithgow made their break in this flick. Both were awesome. This is a must see!

Welcome to the human race...
Just the one? I can't seem to settle on one. I don't think there was any one movie that marked a noticeable transition - about the closest I can come to that is Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars.

Whereas a more conventional answer would probably be GoodFellas (a film I initially hated but grew to like and appreciate as a solid showcase of fine filmmaking), I think A Fistful of Dollars really marks a major turning point in my appreciation of movies. It was the first R-rated movie I was allowed to rent (keep in mind, this is an Australian R rating, which means restricted to people over 18, funnily enough - it's since been re-rated as MA15+) and I was a fourteen-year-old kid who had virtually no experience whatsoever with Westerns or even anything particularly visceral. It may not have been the best film, but it was certainly amazing enough on every count. Clint Eastwood was very solid and effortlessly cool as the Man with No Name, pinballing between a variety of characters in between random bouts of violence and careful manipulation. It just stayed surprising up until the very end. When I think of A Fistful of Dollars, I think of the first time I saw it as the point where I really started to realise the true capabilities of cinema and thus sought out more and more.

Hell, I might just watch it now, as a matter of fact.

Jurassic Park

Yeah, it's my favorite film of all-time, but it just happens to be the film that got me into movies. I know watching this when I was a kid had me interested in checking out some other Spielberg flicks. Sadly, I only remember checking Jaws after watching it. I know watching it as a kid, I was really only interested in watching it because of the obsession with dinosaurs that I had. As the years passed, though, I started to notice more special things about it. The great special effects, how much I loved the characters, and Spielberg's directing. I guess it is the film that got me into films, but it took quite a few years to take effect. I know I didn't really get into films until about 4 or 5 years ago, but I was too young before that anyways. Now, I usually watch at least a film a day and I've seen a ton of more films because of Jurassic Park. I just love it.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Hawaii (Dir: George Roy Hill) 1966

Stars Julie Andrews, Max von Sydow, Richard Harris

I watched this film on TV a few years after it came out, and I had liked movies before, but this film changed everything for me.

Based on James Michener's novel, it tells the story of missionaries in Hawaii. It has been a long time since I've seen it, but what sticks out in my memory was how entranced I was at the time. I was pretty young, and this is the first film that really got to me in a very deep place. I was devastated emotionally at the end of this film.

Von Sydow is a rather tragic figure, and his stubbornness and pride costs lives, including that of his wife (Andrews.) The very last image of this film is him sitting all alone (at least I think it is the very last image).

I cried hysterically. I was actually crying like 10 minutes later, and remember my mother asking me if I was okay. It was like I had been transported to Hawaii -- I was in the movie. These people were real to me. I thought about the film for days.

It was then that I realized how movies could take you places, give you thoughts, tear at your emotions in ways I hadn't experienced before.

To this day, whenever I see an image of Max von Sydow, all I can think of is this movie (And yes, I saw The Seventh Seal, lol). His performance is flat-out amazing, along with a young Richard Harris.

And I've always loved Julie.

Ok now pick one. Im betting its Evil Dead 2. Shocked you didnt have Empire Strikes Back instead of Jedi, and Ghostbusters..why not! My bet is its ED2 because Ash is so money!

It's tough to say, but I'm thinking this was probably this one:

Epic. Romantic. Funny. Incredibly entertaining.
Still one of my favorite movies.
And I'm not going to lie, I had the BIGGEST crush on Kevin Costner for the longest time after this movie came out (hey, I was all of ten years old in 1991, so don't hate).

From May of 1977 with Star Wars when I was a lad of seven to Blade Runner in June of 1982 when I was twelve, I'd say those six films above (Raiders of the Lost Ark and Time Bandits being cinema experiences, The Three Musketeers and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid television and videotape) were probably the most important in making me an obsessive cinemaniac. Nothing could have been bigger to me than the first Star Wars, and I couldn't have been a more perfect age to have it take over my life for a few years. It was a true phenomenon, no more so than in my house. I saw it twenty-seven or so times theatrically from 1977 to the various re-releases up through 1980 ahead of Empire's debut. My brother and I had at least one (and often two) of just about every action figure and vehicle Kenner put on the market, plus posters, bedsheets, record albums, coloring books, puzzles, Dixie cups, Underoos and just about anything else you could put the logo or characters on. It changed going to the movies from the every once in a great while activity when a Disney cartoon revival was playing into a regular and expected pastime.

So...yeah.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I love all the personal answers, but there's only one possible one for me. This was a film I watched as a kid every year on TV religiously, and it made me know that films could do anything...

It was The Wizard of Oz. Sorry.

&feature=related

Happy New Year from Philly!
I love all the personal answers, but there's only one possible one for me. This was a film I watched as a kid every year on TV religiously, and it made me know that films could do anything...

&feature=related
I concur.

Jurassic Park

Yeah, it's my favorite film of all-time, but it just happens to be the film that got me into movies. I know watching this when I was a kid had me interested in checking out some other Spielberg flicks. Sadly, I only remember checking Jaws after watching it. I know watching it as a kid, I was really only interested in watching it because of the obsession with dinosaurs that I had. As the years passed, though, I started to notice more special things about it. The great special effects, how much I loved the characters, and Spielberg's directing. I guess it is the film that got me into films, but it took quite a few years to take effect. I know I didn't really get into films until about 4 or 5 years ago, but I was too young before that anyways. Now, I usually watch at least a film a day and I've seen a ton of more films because of Jurassic Park. I just love it.
dude, are you my long lost twin? i watched this movie so many times as a kid, and still do enjoy this great film. same answer for me, same reasoning.

For Me, It was:

This movie is EPIC! Just everything about it is amazing .

The first time I watched this movie, I didn't know much about the real ship. So everything about the real ship that was in the movie truely amazed me.

Also, Before I saw this movie I didn't really like Leo, like I do now . So this movie change my mind on Leo as well .

So this movie changed my life in so many way's (what I mentioned above ) & that's why this is the movie that got me loving movies .

&feature=related
If I had to choose just one, that would probably be it.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive been into my movies for many many years, my Grandfather who I grew up living with was a massive movie fan and he used to record all the old horror movies off the tv for me to watch once I come home from school we would watch them. So I can thank him for the love I have for movies.

Some of the films that made me love movies are as follows,

I remember the first time I watched this movie I was petrified in bed that Norman would come and get me while I was bed I was about 10.

This movie I love I have watched it hundreds of time's and at the end it gets me everytime.

Need I say anything about this movie?

Watching this made become the huge Friday 13th fan.

It's all in the reflexes.

The Neverending Story

I chose this film because my brother and I would watch it every second time we went over our grandmas when we were kids. She had taped it off the TV so there was a lot of fast fowarding - I would always be captivated by it, which made me seek out other movies.

And this was each other visit (I havn't seen it for so long now might have to watch it)

&feature=related
Every Easter weekend, we had a nice dinner, and I would be so excited because I would see The Wizard of Oz afterward. We had popcorn ready, and I would sit on the floor in front of the TV, chomp the popcorn in my pajamas, and it was like the best day of the year. I looked forward to this every single year. I wonder how many times I saw it? I even knew exactly when the commericals would be.

I knew all the lines. I had this album that had almost the entire movie on it -- dialogue, songs, everything. I used to listen to it all the time while waiting for my once-a-year viewing!

The following generations of VHS/DVD kids will never have a memory like that.

A system of cells interlinked
&feature=related

It's tough to say, but I'm thinking this was probably the one:

Epic. Romantic. Funny. Incredibly entertaining.
Still one of my favorite movies.
And I'm not going to lie, I had the BIGGEST crush on Kevin Costner for the longest time after this movie came out (hey, I was all of ten years old in 1991, so don't hate).
This is so COOL! Everyone loves to rag on this movie -- and let's face it, Costner's accent is horrid -- but I always liked it, especially Rickman's over-the-top performance and his long, silly death. This is the film that made me love him (yep, moreso than Die Hard).

And my crush on Costner was BIGGER than yours. And I was an adult, so people can pick on me if they wish.

This is so COOL! Everyone loves to rag on this movie -- and let's face it, Costner's accent is horrid -- but I always liked it, especially Rickman's over-the-top performance and his long, silly death. This is the film that made me love him (yep, moreso than Die Hard).

And my crush on Costner was BIGGER than yours. And I was an adult, so people can pick on me if they wish.
Robin Hood is so much fun. I don't care about historical inaccuracies or bad accents or any of that. I love it.

And I used to have Kevin Costner movie marathons when I was a kid. Talk about a glutton for punishment. I mean, I still love a lot of his movies, but those marathons would last a whole weekend - not because I had so many of his movies but because each one is so long.