The most suspenseful movie I've ever seen is...

Tools    

1. Interpret any way you want.
2. Choose a movie.
3. Discuss.

For me, probably any number of Hitchcock films.
It's tough for me to choose, so I'll post more later.

Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors.
In this case I think it comes down to a couple of films by him:

Rear Window (1954)
Not my favorite Hitch (that honor goes to Rebecca), but close to it. The suspense in some of the scenes is so great it makes me squirm in my seat, even after many viewings. Of course, the presence of Grace Kelly detracts nothing from the film's charm.

and

Vertigo (1958)
Again, not my favorite of Hitchcock's movies, but certainly one of the most suspenseful. Jimmy Stewart plays against type in this story of obsession, murder and betrayal. The many twists and turns of the complex plot drive his character (and the audience) crazy.

I say let's give this thread a bump.

There are a couple of Italian directors whose movies fit very well into the suspense category. Most people seem to favor Dario Argento, with Suspiria and Deep Red topping the list of his movies for me.

Suspiria (Argento - 1977)

Deep Red (Argento - 1975)

But stylistically I prefer Mario Bava. His gothic horror masterpiece Black Sunday is one of my favorites. Kill, Baby...Kill! is a terrific suspense/horror film that showcases Bava's mastery of the movie camera (he got his start as a cinematographer).

Black Sunday (Bava - 1963)

Kill, Baby...Kill! (Bava - 1966)

Lost in never never land
One more recent movie that I found very suspenseful was Identity. Horror movies don't bother me, but a good suspenseful move I will find hard to watch, and this is one that I see as beig pretty suspenseful.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

One more recent movie that I found very suspenseful was Identity. Horror movies don't bother me, but a good suspenseful move I will find hard to watch, and this is one that I see as beig pretty suspenseful.
I liked Identity in general, although I thought the ending was a little disppointing. I'm a big John Cusack fan, so that helps.

Movie Forums Critic
a film that comes from the creation of Stephen King's book .....

What lies beneath had me sitting on the top of my seat for like 2 hours. Most of all the bathroom scene.

The most suspenseful movie I ever saw was The Pink Panther Strikes Again. I don't get out much,... I mean, I don't stay in much.

So many good movies, so little time.
I'll go with :

Gaslight
Wages of Fear
Wait Until Dark
Notorious
Psycho
Rear Window

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors.
In this case I think it comes down to a couple of films by him:

Rear Window (1954)
Not my favorite Hitch (that honor goes to Rebecca), but close to it. The suspense in some of the scenes is so great it makes me squirm in my seat, even after many viewings. Of course, the presence of Grace Kelly detracts nothing from the film's charm.

and

Vertigo (1958)
Again, not my favorite of Hitchcock's movies, but certainly one of the most suspenseful. Jimmy Stewart plays against type in this story of obsession, murder and betrayal. The many twists and turns of the complex plot drive his character (and the audience) crazy.
I know I'm gonna catch it from Hitchcock fans but I have to agree with another director from that period who said on a Movie Channel piece about Hitchcock that he got "fat and lazy, both physically and mentally" in his later years.

For instance, Hitch showed a lot of innovation and daring in telling a complicated story with a star-packed cast within the small confines of Lifeboat (1944). He also set interesting restrictions on himself in filming a thrill killing within the setting of one room and seemingly in one continuous shot in Rope (1948). He came up with one hell of a plot device in Strangers on a Train (1951). He made murder an everyday affair with common people caught up in uncommon crimes in Dial M for Murder and Rear Window, both done in 1954. To Catch a Thief was highbrow and glamorous. And he turned a possible murder into comedy in The Trouble With Harry both released in 1955. But his remake of his own The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), and new films Vertigo (1958), The Birds (1963), Marnie (1964), Torn Curtain (1966), Topaz (1969), and Family Plot (1976)
were silly or boring or both.

I find it really hard to pick any one film for questions such as this, but some of my favorites are Rebecca, Rear Window, (Love Hitchcock as well ) Alien, and Harold and Kumar... only kidding on that last one.

The film that has left me hanging on a very thin thread was Interview With The Vampire. I can't believe at the end that they don't show you if Louis and the other Vampire meet!

I dont know if it has a sequel or not...

xXx