Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962)

Billy Rose's Jumbo is a musical starring Doris Day that centers around a circus owned by Pop Wonder, played by Jimmy Durante. The supporting cast includes Martha Raye, Stephen Boyd and Dean Jagger, and the screenplay was written by Sidney Sheldon.

This is a very entertaining movie with some wonderful songs. It has comedy. drama, romance, exciting circus acts, and of course, Jumbo the elephant.

This isn't my favorite musical, but it's a wonderful movie that I would recommend to anyone who likes musicals.

Five Weeks in a Balloon (1962)

Five Weeks in a Balloon stars Red Buttons, Fabian, and Barbara Eden. It's based on a story written by Jules Verne, and directed by Irwin Allen. It's about the adventures of a group of people who travel to different places in a hot air balloon.

The movie is a fun adventure, but it's kind of silly at times. It's entertaining, but it's not great. It also has a catchy theme song that I can't seem to get out of my head.

The Longest Day (1962)

I'm not a history buff, so I only know the basics about D-Day, and I rarely watch war movies because they're just not my area of interest, so I really only watched The Longest Day for the 1962 Best Picture List, but I'm glad that I watched it.

I don't know how accurate it is, or how much has been dramatized for the movie, but The Longest Day is a very intense movie. It shows the strategy of the war from different points of view, so we get to see what everyone was thinking, both before and during the battle at Normandy. There's also plenty of shooting and action to go along with the strategy. There's no music playing in the background. only the sounds of war, and the sound of silence, so this movie has a very realistic feel.

The cast list reads like a "who's who" in Hollywood at that time, but many of the bigger name stars only had small roles, so they don't overshadow the movie itself. Even if you don't like war movies, I would recommend giving this movie a try, but it's about 3 hours long, so be prepared for a long movie.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is another movie that is not really a genre that I usually like, so I only watched it for the 1962 Best Picture List, but I'm glad that I watched it. With a movie starring John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart, and directed by John Ford, how could you possibly go wrong? In short, you can't. This movie is excellent.

The story is about James Stewart's character, who is a lawyer turned senator, and it is told in flashbacks. But how much of his story is truth, and how much is just legend? And what will people believe?

I highly recommend this movie.

My Night at Maud's 1969 (French: Ma nuit chez Maud)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Fight Club (1999) (rewatch)

The first time I watched it, I was blown away by the ending and I ended up not thinking about the rest of the movie. So, I needed to rewatch it! Also, a lot of time and a lot of movies have passed since the first watch, I was curious to see how my reaction would be...
I don't know what to say about this movie... It's not perfect, it has some obvious flaws and some will argue that will lose its magic with more mature audiences, but I still love it! The acting, the cinematography, the entire concept beneath it (it may be cliche but it's so ****ing well presented), everything is mesmerizing! Curious fact: after a rewatch, the thing I liked the less was the ending!

8/10

------------------------

Hauru no ugoku shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) (2004)

My third Miyasaki and so far the one I liked the less, what doesn't make it necessarily bad!

The visual style is great and there's always that magic atmosphere truly enchanting!

However, the story line is hard to follow sometimes and the amount of elements brought from other stories (Wizard of Oz, The Beauty and the Beast, Baba Yaga, etc...) makes it not as original as one may think...

7/10

The Lifeguard (2013)

With: Kristen Bell, David Lambert

A 29 years old girl isn't happy so she decides to go back to her parent's place and think about what she wants to do over again.

Blurgg this story could've been done much better. I mean even the plot shows it can't be a masterpiece but surely could've been somewhat good. In this case they messed it up and made it look like a brainless film. It was somewhat entretaining so I gave it 1 out of 5 for that, but I wouldn't rewatch it or give it anymore than that. Not even the ending was satisfying.

101 Dalmatians (1996)

With: Glenn Close, Jeff Daniels, Joely Richardson, Hugh Laurie and a lot of dalmatians

C'mon who doesn't love those? It's funny, lovely and with tons of animals, I mean I'll always love the animation more (which I'm about to watch anytime soon) but its an alright film and Glenn Close surely makes it better.

Snow Dogs (2002)

With: Cuba Gooding, Jr., James Coburn, Nichelle Nichols, Graham Greene

More comedy, from early 2000's, it has a nice plot and the perfomances of James Coburn and Gooding are good, it's fun, refreshing and very cold.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

People say "this is how you make a sequel!", and well, yes, it's good, but it's not as good as it could have been. It's quite foreseeable. Also, there's one more thing that spoiled it a bit for me:

Dear filmmakers, please, for the love of God, stop ripping off scenes from Avatar. It's getting old!

2 Guns

Good premise with a convoluted plot.
Let's tackle the good first. The chemistry between Wahlberg and Washington. I liked when they were on screen together. The problem is, half of the movie they were against each other! The plot is so convoluted that it takes the enjoyment out of the ridiculous aspect of the movie. This is supposed to be an over the top action flick, but it's bogged down by all this conspiracy bull that was unnecessary for the most part. I was so bored by the movie that I ended up fast forwarding it to the climax just to see some action.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Eurotrip (2003)

If I was an American trying to find out something about Europe by watching this, I'd learn that it's full of irresponsible, high, perverted people, and that for a couple of bucks you can have the life of a king in Slovakia.

Luckily I'm European so I found out that Americans are dumb tourists. See how bad comedy goes both ways?

(btw. I didn't actually mean the above.)

Despite several jokes that did made me laugh, there are also many jokes I thought were stupid (in a bad way) and I didn't like either the Omegas or Deltas.

This is one of my uncle's favorite movies and I'm seeing him to tomorrow.

He jokingly said he wanted me to disown me due to me not liking Ferris Bueller's Day Off,
, so I wonder what he's going to say about me not liking a film in his top five.

I like your dolls.
Annabelle 5/10

I like Your Dolls!!!!!!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

People say "this is how you make a sequel!", and well, yes, it's good, but it's not as good as it could have been. It's quite foreseeable. Also, there's one more thing that spoiled it a bit for me:

Dear filmmakers, please, for the love of God, stop ripping off scenes from Avatar. It's getting old!

Well, if it was ripped off from anything it was not from Avatar, but from Atlantis: the Lost Empire (2001).

You could say to James Cameron to stop ripping off from Pocahontas, though...

Well, if it was ripped off from anything it was not from Avatar, but from Atlantis: the Lost Empire (2001).
That's because Avatar ripped Atlantis off as well. I'd say that it ripped it off even more than it did Pocahontas.

Cape Fear (1962)

The remake was always a favorite of mine, but at this point in my life, I may like this one better. While the remake is memorable for being entertaining and over the top, this one is probably more solid all around. I thought it delivered true scares in a more realistic manner.