CGI-Free!

Tools    

Long before there were digital effects, creature fodder was primarily done by hand.

I was in awe watching the gelflings in The Dark Crystal. I totally believed the werewolf in An American Werewolf in London, and who would have thought Babe the pig wasn't real.

I recently found out that the "little horse(hoarse)" that sings 'It's a Hard days Night" in Top Secret! was a marionette. And we all love the Jedi master himself.

Have you any favorite CGI-free movie creatures?

"...the lovers, the dreamers and me..."

I'm not old, you're just 12.
King Kong
Godzilla: King of Monsters
Gamera
All of the Muppets, but especially Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Dr. Teeth, and The Swedish Chef!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm watching Legend right now, and I'd forgotten how utterly bad-ass Tim Curry looks as Darkness. He scared the crap out of me when I was little.

That Devil lookin' dude scared the crap outta me when I was a little kid. I despise the movie overall, though. To be honest, I'm happier when it's not even MENTIONED, for several reasons. Bleh.

Originally posted by Yoda
That Devil lookin' dude scared the crap outta me when I was a little kid. I despise the movie overall, though. To be honest, I'm happier when it's not even MENTIONED, for several reasons. Bleh.

Chris, I cant believe that.
Watch the directors cut on DVD.
I cant believe you hated Legend

Originally posted by Yoda
for several reasons. Bleh.
Bet I can guess.

Legend did have some wicked effects.

I do kind of like that scene in Total Recall where Ahnuld peels off the face. It's totally fake looking but I giggle everytime I see it.

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK

Chris, I cant believe that.
Watch the directors cut on DVD.
I cant believe you hated Legend
I haven't seen all of it in a long time...and when I last did I was significantly younger...but I just can't get into it. The Devil lookin' guy is indeed bada*, but the rest? Bah.

Originally posted by Toose

Bet I can guess.
I'll bet you can, too, wise Master Toose.

Originally posted by Toose
Legend did have some wicked effects.

I do kind of like that scene in Total Recall where Ahnuld peels off the face. It's totally fake looking but I giggle everytime I see it.
Good call. It was cool at the time, but it's amazing how incredibly stupid it looks now. Was that some weird claymation version of Ah-nuld's noggin'?

And who can forget V? At the time, it blew me away--the ships, the skin-peeling, Diana swallowing the mouse...

But it was an excercise in disillusionment when I saw it a while back, for the first time in over a decade. I kept telling T-roy, "But it looked so real when I saw it before!"

Get off my island
Stop motion animation rules!

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

I loved the dragon in Dragonslayer.... and what about The Howling.....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
I know this might be kind of corny to some of you, but I still loveRudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. There's something very charming about those puppets and the way it was done.

The Muppet Movies are wonderfully done.

Mary Poppins and the floating tea party table.

I watch way too many children's movie's.

I love, love, love The Nightmare Before Christmas. Brilliant movie and incredible music. It was, years ago, my favorite movie, back when I, well, had seen very few movies. I'm still gaga for it, though. Excellent flick, and I'm relatively sure that, if not CGI-Free, it's dang close.

Put me in your pocket...
Oh...how could I forget about TheWizard of Oz. The Wiizard, the Emerald city, the flying monkeys and the witch skywriting in smoke. So many great scenes to pick out.

also in Gone with the Wind didn’t they use painted glass for the those beautiful sunsets?