Unintentional Comedy

Tools    

When's the last time you laughed at something that was NOT supposed to be funny?

For me, it was in a preview before a showing of The Transporter yesterday. The trailer was for the new Steven Seagal movie. The dude was wearing a buttoned-up shirt and some kinda weird bandana thing. He looked completely ridiculous. When the title, "Half Past Dead" came up, I just started busting up right there in the theater. I started coughing and laughing and I just couldn't contain myself.

The title was so ridiculously stupid, and the movie so obviously craptacular, that I lost control. Nearly p*ssed myself.

How about ya'll? Any previews/flicks that you fund unintentionally hilarious lately?

The preview for I Spy with Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy had me in stitches, not because it was funny, but because it was so tried and old and I just know it's going to fail pitifully...

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Let's see, that movie with Katie Holmes in it Abandon. The thing just looks so stupid I laughed when I was watching the spot for it.

And you know what the funny thing is, some movies that are supposed to be comedies end up beating the sh*t out of the audience and aren't funny at all, and the more serious movies end up being the funny movies.

Go figure.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
The preview for I Spy with Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy had me in stitches, not because it was funny, but because it was so tried and old and I just know it's going to fail pitifully...
Don't be so sure. I'll be surprised if it's a blockbuster...but almost just as surprised if it utterly tanks. Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson are both ridiculously funny.

"I'm lookin' at me lookin' at you lookin' at me!"

I laughed at the Titanic, because everyone else around me was crying, over an ending WE ALL KNEW was going to happen and also because of the fact it was only a movie, it appears im not entirerly sensitive, which is against some people's beliefs of me

I laugh through many horror movies, except for a chosen few (the ones that are actually scary). The urge to MST3K runs strong in this one.

I also laugh at Bill Paxton in every single movie he's made, up to and including Frailty. He's so bad, he's good--although, for the record, his role in Frailty was the least funny of them all. There were still a few great moments, though...

A novel adaptation.
Heh.
Bill Paxton...

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
I also laugh at Bill Paxton in every single movie he's made, up to and including Frailty. He's so bad, he's good--although, for the record, his role in Frailty was the least funny of them all. There were still a few great moments, though...
Laugh? Paxton?! Are you sure we're talking about the same dude? Paxton's great! You can't tell me you laughed at him in A Simple Plan. I shall simply refuse to believe it. So there.

A Simple Plan, like the big F, is one of his least funny roles. I don't think I laughed at him in that one... much. So there!

He tends to have the best, most ridiculous lines in any movie he's in--we've dubbed them "Paxtonisms." It's partly due to the words, of course (nobody could sound intelligent with some of his dialogue), but mostly the voice, that I'm-kinda-dumb hint-of-Texas drawl.

He's just a big, likeable galoot. I love him.

And with a single fluid tap upon the keyboard, all of Chris' credibility vanished; just like that.

I am with you Chris, Paxton is just brilliant.

And with a single fluid tap upon the keyboard, all of Chris' credibility vanished; just like that.
I had credibility? Why didn't anyone tell me?

I am with you Chris, Paxton is just brilliant.

Clearly you have not seen (or, if you have seen, not appreciated) the glory that is A Simple Plan and everything within it.

Clearly you have not seen (or, if you have seen, not appreciated) the glory that is A Simple Plan and everything within it.
Yeah, A Simple Plan was great, but that's mostly due to Raimi (and Billy Bob Thornton).

A sample bit of behind-the-scenes conversation between the director and Paxton:

Sam: Okay, Bill. Let's do that scene again, and I want you to try to sound smarter this time.

Bill: Sure, Sam. No prob.

[they run through the scene]

Sam: Bill, I don't want people to laugh. We're going for serious, here. Tone it down with the accent. This isn't Twister.

Bill: Okay, okay. I get you.

Sam: Good. I knew you would. But, just to make sure, I'm going to poke you with this stick (motions with the stick, a large, pointy one) to help with motivation.

The Fat of the Mailbox
I thought "I know what you did last summer" was funny.

Perhaps one of you can clear this up for me; was the scene in Gladiator, when Joaquin Phoenix says "I am vexed", supposed to be funny or was it just bad acting?

Bad acting, bad writing, bad movie: the triple threat.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Put me in your pocket...
Originally posted by Yoda
Don't be so sure. I'll be surprised if it's a blockbuster...but almost just as surprised if it utterly tanks. Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson are both ridiculously funny.

"I'm lookin' at me lookin' at you lookin' at me!" ]
I love both Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson. I can't wait for I Spy to come out. I just hope I'm not disappointed like I was with Wild, Wild West.

Sometimes it's all in your expectaions of a movie with respect to how much you enjoy it. I wasn't expecting much from Bedazzled and I ended up loving it. I expected a lot from Moulin Rouge and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Heheh...but I'm getting off topic here.....

Here's an unintentional funny. It's not a movie, but.....
The Anna Nicole Smith show has anyone seen this embarrassment? I'm guilty of channel surfing and comming upon her...it's unbelievably embarassing, and strangely funny to watch her. The show is just awful.

A novel adaptation.
Originally posted by Aniko

Here's an unintentional funny. It's not a movie, but.....
The Anna Nicole Smith show has anyone seen this embarrassment? I'm guilty of channel surfing and comming upon her...it's unbelievably
embarassing, and strangely funny to watch her. The show is just awful.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that that's supposed to be funny.

Put me in your pocket...
Yeah, I do realize it partially...I just think it's funny for the wrong reason.

She's comming across like some sad pathetic woman who will do anything for money...not that she's an interesting and naturally funny person.

I don't know...maybe I'm just not with the groove of what's suppose to be funny these days and what isn't. That's what you all have to teach me.

I can't wait for I Spy to come out.
I wasn't expecting much from Bedazzled and I ended up loving it.
I expected a lot from Moulin Rouge and didn't think it lived up to the hype.
Uh, o-kaaaaaaaay.

I don't think I will be taking you seriously at all...