The Rating Pattern

Tools    

Our choices in movies can say a lot about who we are, and what we like. The content of these movies, like us, is judged by a large number of people and then given a label: Rated G, PG, PG-13, etc.

If you were to take your favorite top ten movies and catagorize them by their rating, which rating would be most prevalent in your list? The least prevalent? Why?

I'll do my DVD collection instead. How's about that?

R 18+

Apocalypse Now Redux
Pulp Fiction
Chopper
Fight Club
Requiem for a Dream

Firstly, I think one of the reasons Apocalypse Now has such a rating is not so much because of its violence content so much as its quote/unquote adult themes; same with Requiem and Fight Club which seem to be rated so purely as a result of everyone being worried that children may grow up with anti-society ideals and anti-war mentality. Whoops. Too late.

MA 15+

Snatch
Traffic
Being John Malkovich
Mulholland Drive

I don't exactly understand the Malkovich rating [it possibly has something to do with the lesbian thing, because knows that's evil -- hey, that explains the Mulholland rating too!], but the Snatch rating is possibly warranted; it does have a lot of swearing, much more so than you originally think. What suprises me is that if Requiem can get an R for doing, in a way, the same thing as Traffic, how the latter can get off with MA.

M 15+

Moulin Rouge
A.I : Artificial Intelligence
Run Lola Run
Tropfest 2001
Raging Bull
Dog Day Afternoon

Just so you know, in Australia we have two M ratings; the first - this one, plain old M 15+ - means that most anyone can watch the films, but it is suggested that only those over the age of fifteen actually do, the second [above] enforces it and imposes the restriction. So basically all of these films are fine for general viewing, which is cool. I don't see any reason why any of them shouldn't be. Moulin Rouge [and perhaps the Tropfest DVD] should maybe just be PG.

PG

Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Strangelove OR: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

Suprising that Lawrence is PG, perhaps, what with it being about war and actually have some relatively violent scenes in there. Strangelove could be rated G as far as I am concerned.

G

Monsters Inc.

Just a note. Underneath the G rating on the Monsters Inc. DVD case it warns that some scenes may scare younger children. I think that if ratings were made up based on these sorts of things rather than on one letter that determines who sees the film is what needs to happen. But we've already had that discussion before.

Thankyou and good evening.

"Silver Bullet", as always, it's a pleasure to read (re-read) your replies.

Get off my island
After reviweing, I have no particular favourite rating, though I don't have many U's.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Without providing specific details I'd say most of the films I love are rated R or non rated. The lesser the restriction placed on someone the greater the creativity will be IMHO.

If a director knows his film must be PG-13 or must be PG, he begins by working inside a pre-defined box. This has to stifle creativity a bit. I'm not saying that things have to be over the top to be creative, far from it. My favorite film of all time is Nightmare Before Christmas and it's the most creative film I've ever seen. I'm talking about the norm, not the exceptional.

It's really all censorship if you ask me. It's all about a bunch of people sitting around in a room and deciding what's appropriate for us to see.

I'd like to see Non-Rated, no holds barred, let's see what you've got films being pushed out in the forefront (as long as they don't include people being forced to do things against their will, etc). I'm talking about studio funded, big production, complete and total creative license... no hold barred.

That's my pipe dream, the world just don't work thatta way.

BTW:
I'm not scared of what my kids will see because I govern what they see... it's called active parenting. Ratings should be used as a general guideline at best not as a gauge for what a parent can plop their kids in front of for a few hours so they can go off and do whatever it is that floats their boat.

Get off my island
Most kids seem to see stuff they theoretically shouldn't be seeing anyway; I have two young nieces, and their parents are very wary, and Christian, and such stuff, but they still have managed to see just about every 15 rated film available on satellite (and seem quite proud of it too)

Originally posted by Toose
I'm not scared of what my kids will see because I govern what they see... it's called active parenting. Ratings should be used as a general guideline at best not as a gauge for what a parent can plop their kids in front of for a few hours so they can go off and do whatever it is that floats their boat.
Amen to that, Toose.

Actually, I pretty much agreed with your entire post. I just didn't want to quote the entire thing.

Get off my island
I don't think non-rated will ever happen. There are far too many conservatives, and not just parents, who will argue against the idea, citing that minors may be influenced by what they see and act in that way. Of course, its mostly rubbish, but you do get the odd one or two who will think going on a murder spree is a good thing to do since they saw Mickey and Mallory do it. And if it happens once, they will be too afraid to let it happen again, even though the chances are slim.

R

Halloween
The Silence of the Lambs
Child's Play
The Shining

PG-13

The Sixth Sense
A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
Pay It Forward
The Ring
Signs

PG/G