Hollywood (hol' ee' wud) n. hype?

Tools    

What exactly is "Hollywood Hype"? How do you define it?

Does it matter?

Does it work?

Do you trust it?

Seraph of the Void
A relentless corporate-driven media machine which strives with tricks and treats to incite a craving in the masses for its product similar to the suavest of drug dealers via a need to know and have culture bias and the stimulus of the basest human responses.

Yes

Yes

No

Note:the Question(s) were a bit vague since they were dependent on the answer of the first.
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

Originally posted by reporter66
What exactly is "Hollywood Hype"? How do you define it?
It's marketing... some of it weak some of it really good. I've seen a number of 'hyped' films that I thought weren't nearly as good as I expected them to be. Buyer beware.

Does it matter? Sure, it represents the free market

Does it work? Usually

Do you trust it? Almost never now. I just go to what I think looks like a good film. I'm wrong sometimes but you win some, lose some. BTW, it's impossible to please everyone. Some of the films I HATED (Gladiator, Hannibal, Armageddon etc) others loved.

I admit, it tends to work on me. If the hype is big enough, I'm usually willing to take a chance on the flick. To be honest, I find I'm not too often disappointed. Usually I find that when a film has not only a big budget, but a big marketing budget, it tends to have some genuine weight behind it. I think we're getting higher quality films than we were a few years back. People are adapating to special effects, and they tend to want more.

The closest thing resembling a failure to live up to hype that I can recall is Men in Black 2. Other than that, most of the big "event" movies (Spider-Man, LOTR: FOTR, Harry Potter, etc) have been fairly deserving of their hype.