Elric Movie

Tools    

Although it will be completely overshadowed and unfairly compared to LOTR I'm really looking forward to this movie - only 40/50 years in the making!

Jude Law already really hot tipped to play the lead role! anyone else a Moorcock fan and as excited as me about this?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Is the title spelled right? I haven't found anything on this movie...

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Yea, it seems to me if you start a thread about something, you should explain in detail.

Michael Moorcock is a British writer and "Elric" refers to his fantasy novels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock

Moorcock's most popular works by far have been the "Elric of Melniboné" stories. In these books, Elric is an anti-hero written as a deliberate reversal of what Moorcock saw as clichés commonly found in fantasy adventure novels inspired by the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, and a direct antithesis of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian.
But where is information about this film?

BTW, Jude Law, anti-hero, deliberate reversal of Tolkien, I'm not at all interested at this point...

I refuse to apologise for the ignorance of others

But yes, info is very sparse - the word is that Jude Law is up for the lead and the Weitz Bros will be directing. I'm really looking forward to these movies!

wiyf

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Michael Moorcock
Ha, Moore cock. Okay I'm sorry that just had to be pointed out....

its almost a male version of a Bond girl =)

I must say I'm not overjoyed with the choice. An unknown or lesser known would have been better. Johnathan Ryhs Myers was my choice or maybe Johnny Winters but 30 years ago (Elric is an albino)

The whole antihero/anti-Tolkien is what I am HOPING will set this movie apart from others as for a fantasy its very far away from recent dungeons & dragons style films we might have seen.

So, Greg, is Elric a mortal or a deity?

And it looks to me to be more like Norse mythology than anything resembling Tolkien.

The more I read about it, the more I do not see Jude Law in here....

as im a newb i can't post links here just yet but its goes a little something like this:

Elric is the ruler of a stagnant pompus race called Melnibonians, which he feels no kinship with - he is an albino sickly and weak and although a good ruler hated by his father and cousin (who seeks to usurp him) - as the plot unfolds he comes into possesion os a sword known as "stormbringer" which drinks the souls of all he kills giving him more power.

He is in command of demons and spells but it seems the demons toy with him much and make him a puppet of their own games as his adventures go on. Although he is the hero he is constantly tourtured by not finding peace - his cousin takes his throne and captures his love (which he later kills by accident) as one example.

Its a fantasy but its VERY dark and very meloncholy - seperating it from much of the others of its genre. The books are many and all fantastic - how many they will make into a movie and how they will transpose it is yet to be seen, it might end up being terrible but i do hope not!

So are these demons like gods?

So, now, I see the Jude Law connection. Sounds much more interesting to me now, even if I don't like Law very much.

Although this will be hard to pull off without coming across as dangerously corny.

Oh, and Greg, there are all sorts of little icons at the top of the reply box to help you. Look for link... you can also post quotes, images, etc.

And you now have a green dot under your name thanks to me. It's called a rep point. Look for the thumbs (up or down) at the top. A thumb up gives you a positive rep point and now you have one!

no, still cant post links =( but thanks!

There is a thread for the movie on Micheal Moorcock's Multiverse website though and a google of "Elric Movie" will give you lots of yadayada on the ol' web with nerds and spotters getting all excited =)

and yeah...every Moorcock fan in the world is really fearing a "battlefield earth" or "eragon" from their favourite books!

I must say I'm not overjoyed with the choice. An unknown or lesser known would have been better. Johnathan Ryhs Myers was my choice or maybe Johnny Winters but 30 years ago.... But yes, info is very sparse - the word is that Jude Law is up for the lead and the Weitz Bros will be directing.

I love the Elric books... I heard that they were making a movie last week. Glad they are making this one, because this will turn out to be great.

I think the plan is also to have 3 movies - really curious as to how they will make it! has to be dark as hell...must be!