The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

WOW Naked Gun is high. It’s a silly, hilarious movie, I haven’t seen it in so long though.

Princess Bride is all warm and gooey but I didn’t watch it until I was an adult so I don’t have the nostalgia for it that many others do.

Trivia I'm curious about.. mofos from how many different countries have voted?
That I know of; US, Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, The Netherlands, Brazil?
Puerto Rico

I have never seen Slapshot, though have heard its name a lot as an adult. It's from the 70s and has Paul Newman in it, which seems like a good enough reason as any to give it a chance.

Of course guessing anything on this frippin' list is proving to be pretty fruitless, but I suspect that only one of the two Edgar Wright movies are going to make it at this late point, not both. Going by what I perceive the push to be on the site between the two, Hot Fuzz may wind up being the one that got the bulk of the votes leaving Shaun of the Dead just outside the Top 100. I think Dr. Strangelove, Airplane!, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Big Lebowski, Duck Soup, Groundhog Day, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Some Like it Hot are all locks and if not the Top Ten then close to it. If This is Spinal Tap winds up at number eleven that will be perfect.

If those assumptions are correct that leaves only four spots. My guess is Ghostbusters, The General, Hot Fuzz, and City Lights. But goodness knows the reveals thus far have shown it could be Pineapple Express, Galaxy Quest, The Wedding Crashers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Little Miss Sunshine, In Bruges, Four Lions, Say Anything..., Grosse Pointe Blank, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Tremors, Slap Shot, Ace Venture, or some other thing most of us have written off long ago.

So what you're saying is, "unnamed ballot entry #2" still has a chance!

Victim of The Night
Also I really don't understand The Blues Brothers love. It's just an average movie and honestly, I don't really remember laughing at all. Sorry Cricket
One thing it is not is average.

Two movies I did not vote for, but that I really like and would probably have made a grander list of mine…

I grew up on the Naked Gun trilogy. When you were young, silly humor like that was just the best. And still to this day, there’s no one who can or will ever do it quite like Leslie Nielsen. His deadpan delivery and comedic timing is just unmatched. Within the specific type of comedy he does there’s no denying he was a master.

As for The Princess Bride, it’s a film I saw quite late. Actually it was pretty recently… well, recently I say and realize it’s been four years after checking on Letterboxd. Damn time moves fast. Anyway, a classic family adventure film and thereby also adding that film to the list of what I would call “adventures” more than comedy. But it has some funny moments and overall is quite entertaining.

Two good entries that I’m glad seeing here.

The Naked Gun is hilarious. I've been watching it since I was young and it never fails to make me laugh. Revisited it a couple of years ago and I was surprised how well it held up. Absurd, silly fun done perfectly. It was my #10.

The Princess Bride is a film I also remember liking, even loving a lot from when I was a teen, but the truth is that I haven't gone back to it in probably 15-20 years. I had it on my short list, but left it out. I knew it wouldn't need my help, though.

Seen: 63/86

My ballot:  

Probably even more than, "Inconceivable!", the line from The Princess Bride that I think works its way into daily conversation for me is, "I do not think that words means what you think it means."

Victim of The Night
The Naked Gun is a very, very funny movie and I'm not sure why I didn't consider it for my list.

There is no list of my Favorite Movies that would not include The Princess Bride.
And yet it did not make my list of Top-25 Comedies nor did I really consider it.
The film exists in its own little place for me.

I have no problem with either of these movies being this high on this list, however.

I like The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! quite a bit, would most likely have made an appearance on my ballot somewhere. Never seen The Princess Bride, a lot of my extended fambly seem to love it though.

Seen: 44/86

Tomorrow's:
Shaun The Sheep Movie
and
Weird Science

Careful there, Chyp. Though unlikely, Weird Science is a guess that could actually happen.

The Naked Gun is hilarious. I've been watching it since I was young and it never fails to make me laugh. Revisited it a couple of years ago and I was surprised how well it held up. Absurd, silly fun done perfectly. It was my #10.

This bit is so stupid, and it makes me laugh every time I see it, including now.

Also I really don't understand The Blues Brothers love. It's just an average movie and honestly, I don't really remember laughing at all. Sorry Cricket
If one doesn't understand or appreciate the quality of The Blues Brothers simply watch it back-to-back with Blues Brothers 2000. It's like watching Highlander and Highlander 2: The Quickening. You can dismiss the originals if you like, but they are true masterpieces compared to their sequels and the inherent bonafides of the originals should be evident in comparison. That you don't like either the original or the sequel shouldn't be the issue. If you don't like pastrami sandwiches and then you are given a pastrami sandwich that is covered in goat diarrhea and broken glass you have to at least admit that first option is a sandwich you simply don't care for while the second option is not edible food.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This bit is so stupid, and it makes me laugh every time I see it, including now.
Why do you think I put it there? I remember renting this with some of my friends and laughing our asses off at this stupid bit. To this day, I think it is the one that most consistently cracks me up from the film.

Really thought Princess Bride was done for. I think I always underestimate how much my generation likes it. I didn’t see it till a couple years ago and thought it was fine.

Naked Gun was my #9. I had faith it was still coming. I wanted to rewatch for the list because it has been years but I have seen it a ton and was just ne if the funniest theater experiences I ever had. Never wasn’t going to make my list. I just thought a rewatch might push it higher. Plus I really want to show my son because he enjoyed Airplane so much.

The Naked Gun haven't seen it and don't plan on it.
The Princess Bride did see it for the first time about a year ago and didn't care for it.
Don’t I remember you being an Airplane fan? If so, I wouldn’t dismiss Naked Gun.

Updating my predictions for the rest of my list...

1. 100%
2. 75%
3. Spaceballs (#57)
4. Clerks (#64)
5. 20%
6. 100%
7. Raising Arizona (#22)
8. 40%
9. 0%
10. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (#17)
11. 90%
12. Life of Brian (#19)
13. The Nice Guys (#69)
14. 10%
15. What We Do in the Shadows (#31)
16. 40%
17. 0%
18. 55%
19. 20%
20. National Lampoon's Vacation (#54)
21. 45%
22. 0%
23. Office Space (#18)
24. 0%
25. La Guagua Aérea (One-Pointer)

My #2 is another one I thought was a lock, but now I'm not so sure.