Plot smoking

Tools    

Originally posted by reporter66
This might not be the right forum for a political debate Toose, but I can't be led to believe that conservatives, and only conservatives, should decide where money should be thrown.
You did bring it up.... right here:
Censorship should not be tolerated, and therefore people like you and me should continue to rebel against the conservatives in Washington who continually lobby for laws that would restrict "offensive" material in the form of art.
I was answering your charge is all. Also, I never said that conservatives should be the sole executors of tha dollaz did I? Even you call it a lobby, not a dictatorship. Oh, by the way... Tipper Gore and company were foaming at the mouth about freedom of expression not so many years ago... seems our youth at that time should never have been exposed to someone as egregiously evil as one Ozzy Osbourne.

Free to do it? Sure. But free to have ME pay for it, even if only a small fraction of it? Abso-friggin-lutely not! Why do they need the government's support for their art, if it's so blasted important to them? I 100% disagree, but you're right, it's another discussion for another thread.
Yay! Freedom doesn't mean that someone else pays for you... it means that you are free to pursue your craft, your art whatever but the cost of it shouldn't be related to the government at all.

*the crowd breathes a sigh of relief as Toose (that long winded sumbitch) steps off his soapbox*

Now, back to smoking...
I think it's the decision of the writer/director whether or not to include butts. Call it artistic freedom, if you will. If they decide to do it in a kids movie then it's their mistake to make, they don't need laws to prevent them from making it.

I remember once at the video store my Mum asked the woman behind the counter about two films. One was rated M15+ and the other was rated PG. The woman suggested that we take the PG film, because it was, after all, PG and she hadn't seen it. So we took them both. The M15+ film seemed to be rated in that manner because there was some realistic, and yet required gunfire. The PG film was like Home Alone on steroids. We decided to send the boys [twins, then seven] to bed after the kid made the burgalars drink gasoline and then, basically, implode them at will. Like that was cool and all.

The point was, it would have been much better had the cases of the videos said:

Realistic Gunfire / Violence; Course Language
&
Comic Torture / Violence

The word torture would have easily lead us to the more suitable film [which, coincidentally, was the one that was rated to be less suitable. Go figure and all that.]

But that's beside the point of the thread which is cigarettes.
Which is a pathetic and pithy topic to discuss in terms of film, period.

Rest assured everyone, OUR tax dollars are hard at work, so keep filing.

With all due respect Silver bullet, this "pithy" and "pathetic" thread has garnered 4 very passionate posts from you.

At least 3 of those posts address the topic very eloquently.

Anyway, smoking IS a heated topic in Hollywood these days. Actors often use herb cigarettes instead of tobacco, when their characters are smokers. Obviously movie makers think smoking is important enough to the story to give actors that option rather than omitting it entirely. Some parents and health groups disagree, saying big name actors smoking on screen influence the public and the act should be stopped. Hence some period movies that are set in a generation where smoking was accepted, have little or no chracters that smoke.

With all due respect Silver bullet, this "pithy" and "pathetic" thread has garnered 4 very passionate posts from you.
I wouldn't call them passionate. I would call them pissed off. And the reason this "pithy" and "pathetic" thread has "garnered" posts from me is because I can't stand it when people worry about things that really aren't important.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
And the reason this "pithy" and "pathetic" thread has "garnered" posts from me is because I can't stand it when people worry about things that really aren't important.
Well, with all due respect, Gummly, almost NONE of the things we worry about on this board are important.

Well, with all due respect, Gummly, almost NONE of the things we worry about on this board are important.
None, eh?
I accept your challenege, cake boy.

None
Bone
Lone
Line
Lint
Tint
Stint
Stunt
Stun
Sun
Sum
Sim
Sip
Zip

ORANGE

Everything we discuss means ZIP!

Didnt Cruella De Vil Smoke in 101 Dalmations? Wasnt that rated G? I didnt see the remake did she smoke in that one too?