Pets

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, that first pic is so weird. Every time I look at it I have a hard time remembering it's the same dog. Depending on her posture she looks completely different. Especially when she yawns.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Her ears are floppy and has a full length tail. I assumed those would have been clipped. So who knows. Lazy pit'ish? Sweet girl though, just heavy. I'm not sure her collar will survive, or my budget for food if I keep her. Then there's the cats to consider.
Tail docking isn't usually done on pits, from what I've seen working at vet clinic.

Ear cropping depends on the owner. Some owners have it done, some don't. The only practical purpose it serves is in dog fighting so unless the owners think it looks cool or they plan to use the dog in shows they don't do it. I'd say we see far more uncropped pits than cropped ones here. That also probably has something to do with how few vets will even do the procedure.

Tail docking isn't usually done on pits, from what I've seen working at vet clinic.

Ear cropping depends on the owner. Some owners have it done, some don't. The only practical purpose it serves is in dog fighting so unless the owners think it looks cool or they plan to use the dog in shows they don't do it. I'd say we see far more uncropped pits than cropped ones here. That also probably has something to do with how few vets will even do the procedure.
Hey, thanks for the info. I'm clueless on most dogs so that helps and makes me feel some better about her history.

Her ears are floppy and has a full length tail. I assumed those would have been clipped. So who knows. Lazy pit'ish? Sweet girl though, just heavy. I'm not sure her collar will survive, or my budget for food if I keep her. Then there's the cats to consider.
So she’s a stray who seems to have adopted you? She looks very nice. What is her disposition?

She needs most likely to be fixed ASAP. What are your plans with regard to her?

If you surrender her to a shelter make sure it’s no-kill. Kill shelters will euthanize her after 7 days or so if nobody claims her. You don’t want that on your conscience.

So she’s a stray who seems to have adopted you? She looks very nice. What is her disposition?

She needs most likely to be fixed ASAP. What are your plans with regard to her?

If you surrender her to a shelter make sure it’s no-kill. Kill shelters will euthanize her after 7 days or so if nobody claims her. You don’t want that on your conscience.
Oh she's a sweet pup. Not aggressive and listens well enough. I've posted in local Facebook pet groups to see if anyone claims her. Past that, there is an office mate that might take her. I wouldn't take her to a shelter most likely. I may post in the private pet groups or end up keeping her. I do not really want a dog, especially one this size, but she is well mannered and I can't imagine her ending up in a bad spot for a poor judge of character on my part by anyone that takes here.

Still in the air.
You want a pup??

Oh she's a sweet pup. Not aggressive and listens well enough. I've posted in local Facebook pet groups to see if anyone claims her. Past that, there is an office mate that might take her. I wouldn't take her to a shelter most likely. I may post in the private pet groups or end up keeping her. I do not really want a dog, especially one this size, but she is well mannered and I can't imagine her ending up in a bad spot for a poor judge of character on my part by anyone that takes here
Would be interesting to know if she’s microchipped.

If someone claims her on FB, be sure to find out why the hell they lost her in the first place!!! Don’t give her to any psychos.

Keep in mind too: this nice dog has chosen you. A dog usually won’t go to a bad person.

Ugh, I hate this kind of collar. Wonder if they were dog-fighting her & she ran away? Is that blood on her chest?

Chest appears to be a rash. No chip. I didn't see the vet proper just due to the cost of vaccines and fees for the day if in 24 hours someone claims her. If nothing by the weekend I'll drop her at my vet for shots and checkup. Then go from there.

If you ever use Twitter, it’s so frickin sad how many photos they have of really beautiful dogs who end up in shelters. It’s mind-boggling to me that they are there.

Keep us posted. If you do keep her, as you said, your cats could be an issue. My cats would definitely not accept a dog.

Heh heh heh.

They sure look like they enjoy the car ride @cricket . Leaning out the window, tasting the breeze and grinning.

Wonder if any of your dogs are indulging in some car kareoke?

I had to fly up to Annapolis last Thursday, so I decided to formally take "Puppy" to the vet for boarding, vaccines, and a proper checkup. With pockets considerably lighter and 6 months of puppy pills in hand, I guess she's staying with me now.

What’s her name? Got a photo?
Her name is Puppy. She's the one I posted earlier up and on the previous page about 3 weeks back. Big pit/boxer mix. She's very sweet though, minding when I tell her to sit, and she never jumps onto people for attention. She will take attention if offered, but she's not aggressively seeking it the way, say, a young lab might do

And she was a total stray who sought you out? That is amazing.

Kudos to you for rescuing Puppy. Most people would have walked away.

And she was a total stray who sought you out? That is amazing.

Kudos to you for rescuing Puppy. Most people would have walked away.

Eh, to be honest I did try to walk away. I was on my way to town that day she appeared. I fed her some cat food and water then, when done, walked her to my neighbor's porch. The house is not lived in btw, but that was from where she stepped into the yard at first. From his porch. She followed me back to his porch and I told her to sit. She did. I then told her to stay, and I went back my driveway, got in my truck and left.

I felt horrible for it, but really figured with a full belly she'd wander back home. Wherever that was.

Five hours later I returned and she was still there, on the porch, waiting. As I told her to do =\

What a nice story to hear @ynwtf- hey I didn't know you were such a great big hearted softy - but apparently your Puppy did. It's a mystery of how she was just wandering around.

She must have been well trained by someone if she knows not to jump on people ( I love dogs but don't appreciate when a doting owner thinks no one minds if their gigundo German shepherd suddenly jumps up on you)

How are the cats adjusting to her, tolerating the newcomer for now? - and maybe they will all get along and eventually all be pals ? ( I hope)

Anyway ( not to embarrass you Yin, but) sounds like your new dog is a real sweetie- who sought out a kindred sweetie.

lol. I'll never admit it!

Oh the cats hated it. They disappeared the day I took her in. For maybe 2 weeks, I'd see one. Maybe. From the far end of the yard and they kept their distance. Food was ignored as well. I really figured they moved on.

The last few days, though, they've come back to their porch and greet me most mornings walking out of the house. Seems they've adjusted.

I totally agree on large and obnoxiously aggressive dogs jumping on people. And their owners to allow it.

The house is not lived in btw

Five hours later I returned and she was still there, on the porch, waiting. As I told her to do =\
Did your former neighbors abandon her, do you think?

Gonna cry that Puppy waited for you all that time. (Don’t give her any more cat food. I’m sure you know it’s not good for her. I presume that was an emergency meal.)