Your favorite book into movie

Tools    

I THINK everyone here has read a book or comic books that has transformed into movies
davnici code
cirque du freak (will be released 2008)
transformers

wat is urs??

Welcome to the human race...
That question is incredibly nonspecific so I will interpret it as I will.

My favourite books that have been turned into movies...

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Godfather
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
That question is incredibly nonspecific so I will interpret it as I will.
Likewise...

Favourite books that have been made into movies:
Jane Eyre
Lord of the Rings
Interview with the Vampire
Pride and Prejudice
Gone with the Wind

Favourite movies that are adapted from books:

Blade Runner
Sense and Sensibility
Brokeback Mountain
The End of the Affair
Fight Club
Dangerous Liaisons

Movie Forums Critic
Stephen Kings - the Mount of madness
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter sequels

King's MISERY translated well to screen.

As for nonfiction, Frank Abagnale's CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

Trainspotting for sure.

I THINK everyone here has read a book or comic books that has transformed into movies
davnici code
cirque du freak (will be released 2008)
transformers

wat is urs??
Neither of these would qualify as my favorite book, but the two occasions where the movie turned out to be better than the book were: "The Authentic Death of Henry Jones" (or some similar title) that got changed into One-Eyed Jacks (all they kept from the book was the California setting); Also the film Paint Your Wagon was different and much funnier than the "book" of the original Broadway musical. Again, all they kept was the California setting.

Books that were faithfully reproduced into great movies: The Maltese Falcon (faithfully follows Dashelle Hammet's story and dialogue); Out of the Past (great film noir); Gone With the Wind (leaves out Scarlett's children by her first two marriages, but otherwise faithfully follows the book); His Girl Friday (improves on the very funny original play Front Page by changing the male reporter to a female role for Rosalind Russell); Witness for the Prosecution, (the film was improved by adding the role of the nurse, played by Elsa Lanchester, Charles Laughton's wife); The Killers and its subsequent remake of the same name some 20 years later. Both were based on a short story--some 12-15 pages--by Ernest Hemmingway about two hitmen who come to a small town to kill a local nondescript character. Warned that the killers are on their way to his apartment, the victim doesn't even try to escape but waits to be gunned down. End of story. This was fleshed out into a film noir in the 1940s that made a star of Burt Lancaster and helped boost the career of Ava Gardner. In the original film, an insurance investigator (Edmund O'Brien) hunts down the answer as to why the victim didn't run. In the 1960s remake, its the killers (Lee Marvin, Clu Gulager) who track down the mystery. Also stars Angie Dickson, John Cassavettes, and Ronald Reagan in the last movie he made. Another great film based accurately on a Hemmingway book, For Whom the Bell Tolls.

One of the funniest, most interesting books ever written, Catch 22, was turned into a gawd-awful film by Buck Henry's heavy handed, potty humor script!

No one beats Harry Potter...This makes history in movie industry as well as in books...

The Godfather and The Shining.
Actually, The Godfather was made into two movies, since the whole story of Don Vito Corleone was told in the one book, from his fleeing a vendetta in Italy to his subsequent death and the takeover of his legacy by his youngest son. Heaven only knows where the gawd-awful Godfather III came from!

Prizzi's Honor was another good mob book that accurately was reproduced to the screen. One interesting character in the book that the movie left out was one mob soldier who had a talent for passing gas in rhythm. Name a song and he could "play" it for you.

I wish they had made other movies from the series of Prizzi books written by the late Richard Condon--Prizzi’s Honor (1982), Prizzi’s Family a prequel (1986), Prizzi’s Glory (1988), and Prizzi’s Money, Condon's last book (1994). He also wrote the screenplay for Prizzi's Honor, which is likely why the movie was so good. The books were funnier, however, a very dark humor, especially as the family moves from crime to somewhat honest business and finally into politics.

Incidentally, Condon also wrote The Manchurian Candidate (1959) and Winter Kills (1974). Manchurian Candidate of course was made into two films, the first one more memorable than the second. Winter Kills also became a movie, albeit not a very successful one.

Some of my favorite books that have been turned in to films:
  1. Treasure Island
  2. The Count of Monte Christo
  3. The Three Musketeers
  4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  5. Various other novels/stories by Philip K. Dick
  6. LotR trilogy, etc.
However, not all of those are movies that I think are that great.

There are several good versions of Treasure Island (I even like Muppet Treasure Island )

The Count of Monte Christo with Jim Caviezel is a decent flick but not a good adaptation imo.

The Three Musketeers by Disney (with Charlie Sheen, et al) is a pretty terrible movie and adaptation. The Musketeer was interesting but hardly faithful. I haven't really seen a great version. not that I've seen many at all.

Blade Runner is of course a great film, and one of my all time favorites, but it isn't really a faithful adaptation. Most of the movies based on Dick's work end up being far from what he intended. Look at Minority Report... good film but the message was completely opposite of the story.

LotR is a classic piece of literature and the films are similarly masterpieces of their medium. I believe that they captured the spirit and intent of the books (especially the extended editions) as well as possible on film. The changes made enhanced the flow of the films and were a good idea (excepting perhaps the extended sub plot with Liv Tyler... that was for the girls in the audience.)

All in all I think adapting things is generally a chancy proposition. You are always going to disappoint or piss off some of the fan base of the original work. So all in all, I try to take my adaptations with a grain of salt and enjoy them for what they are.

In other words I try to judge them on their own merits (Although Steel was a travesty that should never have happened. A good character murdered.)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Count of Monte Christo with Jim Caviezel is a decent flick but not a good adaptation imo.
That's exactly what I thought about it.

Also, Children of Men. Good book, good film, although they are not at all the same plot, tone or characters. It is like the film took the basic idea of the book and took it in a whole different direction, which came out with a good film. But I'd still like to see a more faithful adaptation of the book on screen.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Skins - Adrian C. Louis
The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Interview With a Vampire - Anne Rice
Jaws - Peter Benchley
In the Name of the Father - Gerry Conlon
Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
A Time to Kill - John Grisham
The Crow - James O'Barr
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest - Ken Kesey
Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen
The Godfather - Mario Puzo
The Lord of the Rings - J.R. Tolkien
The Shining - Stephan King
Misery - Stephan King
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
Black Robe - Brian Moore
The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Falling Angel - William Hjortsberg (movie - Angel Heart)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Skins - Adrian C. Louis
The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Interview With a Vampire - Anne Rice
Jaws - Peter Benchley
In the Name of the Father - Gerry Conlon
Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
A Time to Kill - John Grisham
The Crow - James O'Barr
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest - Ken Kesey
Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen
The Godfather - Mario Puzo
The Lord of the Rings - J.R. Tolkien
The Shining - Stephan King
Misery - Stephan King
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
Black Robe - Brian Moore
The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Falling Angel - William Hjortsberg (movie - Angel Heart)
How the holy crap could I forget The Last of the Mohicans? One of my favorite books turned in to an amazing movie!

Not only is the movie awesome, it is a fairly accurate adaptation of the novel, which makes it even more awesome. I love The Last of the Mohicans and can't believe I forgot about it!

How the holy crap could I forget The Last of the Mohicans? One of my favorite books turned in to an amazing movie!

Not only is the movie awesome, it is a fairly accurate adaptation of the novel, which makes it even more awesome. I love The Last of the Mohicans and can't believe I forgot about it!
I've got to disagree as to how faithfully the latest remake (or any earlier versions) of The Last of the Mohicans follows the book. In fact, director Michael Mann said he used the script from a 1936 film of Last of the Mohicans starring Randolph Scott rather than Cooper's book in shooting his 1992 remake starring Daniel Day-Lewis. That’s obvious by the number of things in the book that were left out of the recent remake, including one of the primary characters in the book: David Gamut, a very devout psalmodist (religious singing instructor) whose religious views are frequently compared with Hawkeye’s concept of balance in nature.

Other things you learn from the book that are excluded from the movie: Magua was driven from his tribe for drunkenness and later was whipped by the British army for the same offense. He blames Munro for his downfall but had no plot to kill him. Instead, Magua attempts to force Munro's oldest daughter Cora to become his wife. He captures both daughters, but is pursued by their father, David Gamut, Major Duncan Heyward, Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas. There is a fatal fight between Magua and Uncas, but Cora dies when one of Magua's companions stabs her. Hawkeye then shoots Magua, who falls from a cliff shouting his defiance.

One very interesting item in the book that apparently has never been mentioned in the many movie versions is that Munro’s two daughters are half-sisters with different mothers. Cora, the oldest, is Munro’s dark-haired daughter; her mother, who died young, was half-white and half-black, which makes Cora a quadroon (one-fourth black)!

In the book, there is no romance between Hawkeye and either of the sisters. I don’t believe Uncas gets romantically involved either, but it has been a long time since I read the book. There may be at most a little flirting or worshiping from afar. Marriage of European women to Native American men was not the accepted norm of Cooper's time.

Major Duncan Heyward is less pompous and more heroic in the book. Although an officer in the British army, he is from Virginia, not England, and is no army brass-kisser as the film portrayed. It is he who rescues the younger, blonde sister, Alice, from an Indian camp; together, they provide the book’s happy ending by getting married when they return to civilization.

Moreover, the latest remake changes Hawkeye's civilized name to Nathaniel Poe. In Cooper's original book, the frontiersman was named Nathaniel "Natty" Bumppo, aka as Hawkeye, Deerslayer, the Scout, Long Rifle, and to his French and Indian enemies, “La Longue Carabine.”

James Fenimore Cooper’s The Last of the Mohicans has the distinction of being one of the first truly American novels and has consequently been made into movies, serials, and TV programs several times. But because it’s a long and rather complicated book, it usually has been shortened for film. Nevertheless, A 1920 film based on the book was judged “culturally significant” by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the US National Film Registry. A 12-chapter motion picture serial in 1932 starred Harry Carey—John Wayne’s close friend and mentor-- as Hawkeye, and there was a 1957 TV series starring John Hart as the frontiersman, renamed Nat Cutler, with Lon Chaney Jr. as Chingachgook. There was a 1977 made-for-TV version starring Steve Forrest as Hawkeye, Ned Romero as Chingachgook and Don Shanks as Uncas.

There were even a couple of German films based on the Cooper books and characters, Der Wildtöter und Chingachgook, and Der Letzte der Mohikaner, in which Chingachgook was played by a very young Bela Lugosi! Can you picture that??? "I vant to take your scalp and drink your bluuud!"

I stand humbled.

It has been quite a while since I have read the book, I must admit, and you pointing out the differences has brought them all back.

Still though, 'tis quite a kick ass movie. I also watched an earlier version when I was a child quite a few times, but I cannot remember if it was the one from the '70s or not.