Greatest Filmmaker of all times

Tools    

Alfred Hitchcock IMO, but I can certainly see why people are choosing Clint Eastwood, Charlie Chaplin, etc. I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned Orson Welles.

as a number of movies filmed and success gained, looks like Stanley Kubrick!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Its early days but I'm gonna say Christopher Nolan.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I too will have to throw my vote to Hitchcock. His films are so well done and I think any attempts to emulate him ultimately come up short.

Kubrick. The man is a legend. Opinions differ, but he paid attention to the most minor details. He was a perfectionist, he wanted every detail to be perfect and he never failed to impress. In my opinion, all Kubrick films are masterpieces except his earlier ones.

Sidney Lumet. The underdog.

Kubrick.

Hitchcock is up there though. Depends on the day as to which one I pick.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
overall? - Howard Hawks then probably Orson Welles.

Alfred Hitchcock is great but I think he was too defined by style which limited him quite a bit. He largely made the same type of film over and over again, and yes most of them were great, but he had his duds.

I cannot see him working out of his comfort zone however or making a movie that is straightforward and doesn't call attention to itself.

Overall, I think Howard Hawks is the greatest filmmaker.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

overall? - Howard Hawks then probably Orson Welles.

Alfred Hitchcock is great but I think he was too defined by style which limited him quite a bit. He largely made the same type of film over and over again, and yes most of them were great, but he had his duds.

I cannot see him working out of his comfort zone however or making a movie that is straightforward and doesn't call attention to itself.

Overall, I think Howard Hawks is the greatest filmmaker.
Agreed. Hitchcock was great, but not diverse in his films. Simply his films were too repetitive.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Alfred Hitchcock is great but... I cannot see him working out of his comfort zone however or making a movie that is straightforward and doesn't call attention to itself.
Have you seen The Wrong Man?

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Have you seen The Wrong Man?
Yes I have once, around 2002ish I think. I haven't watched it since then and it's a haze floating around with other hazes of films I've only seen once that didn't leave a big impact on me.

I may have liked it, but just had no desire to watch it again. For me Hitchcock's most restrained film and his best or second best is Rebecca.

Jerry bruckheimer
Francis Ford Coppola
Steven Spielberg
James Cameron
Stanley Kubrick
Not In That Order.

Gotta be Kubrick. Followed by Hitchcock. Depends on the day though.

Not a director

Why do *most* name the same people? I'm sure I can answer that but isn't it conspicuous to anyone else?

I also wonder if I would question it given most people mentioned a different set of names...

Why do *most* name the same people? I'm sure I can answer that but isn't it conspicuous to anyone else?

I also wonder if I would question it given most people mentioned a different set of names...
Likely two reasons:

1. A number of filmmakers are simply head and shoulders above the rest. Their influence on those who came after is undeniable and they are considered the best of the best.

2. They are the most famous names and people know them, so those are the names they give. If they're famous, they must be the best, right? (I figure that's how Michael Bay's name pops up in "great director" lists.)

Yes, you would question it if everyone named different names, because if no one can agree on any names, how could they be considered "the best?"

Jerry bruckheimer
Francis Ford Coppola
Steven Spielberg
James Cameron
Stanley Kubrick
Not In That Order.
Francis Ford Coppola made 3 masterpieces, the rest were duds. Spielberg is good, but he has too many duds also (Focuses too much on quantity). Cameron is overrated - most of his movies are also duds. Props to him for Terminator, Aliens, and Titanic. Avatar was visually-appealing, but otherwise abysmal in every other aspect.