Mr. Bean's Holiday

→ in
Tools    

Hadn't been to the theaters in a week and a half, so I went to see Mr. Bean's Holiday last night, even though I wasn't terribly excited about it. Here's my review, as always, also posted in the movie reviews area.

Mr. Bean's Holiday

A good deal of comedy is about the contrast between what we expect, and what actually takes place. Rowan Atkinson's "Mr. Bean" character is a textbook example of this principle. He's a grown man, but behaves like a child. He's slow, but has random moments of inspired brilliance. He's British, but has none of the British culture's typical dignity.

All of these characteristics are, of course, on full display in Mr. Bean's Holiday, in which the titular Bean wins a trip to Cannes, right around the time that famous film festival is going on.

Hard as it is to write a review of a comedy without divulging specific jokes, it's harder still to write a review of a comedy like this, which relies heavily on physical humor. What laughs there are either come from Bean's frantic flailings, or else sheer circumstance. Indeed, in a couple scenes Mr. Bean could easily be mistaken for Mr. Magoo.

The first half of the film is surprisingly weak, offering a laugh or two and a few scattered chuckles at most. One can't help but wonder just who thought some of these concepts were funny. Why would a small French child -- recently separated from his father in a train station, and quite distraught about it -- suddenly choose to imitate Bean's actions on a park bench? One would expect to suspend disbelief if it allows for something genuinely funny to take place, but several scenes here come off as genuinely pointless, even in Bean's world.

To the film's credit, however, it bucks the recent trend away from plot-driven humor. Almost all of the comedy here is integrated into an admittedly straightforward story, and in typical Bean fashion, it gets better as the plotlines start to come together. The second half is a good deal more amusing than the first, thanks in large part to a small part played by Willem Dafoe. Dafoe plays Carson Clay, a pretentious director screening a film at the festival which, from what we see, appears to be all voiceover. Self-involved filmmakers are always an easy target, and the film skewers them amusingly here.

There are a few running gags that work fairly well, such as Bean's compulsive need to play around with his video camera, and a series of mobile phone calls that allow the character to spread mayhem over an even greater distance than usual.

Still, even these ideas occasionally feel like filler, and a few sequences could be cut altogether. Though it's just 90 minutes, it's still about 20 minutes too long.

From a performance standpoint, Atkinson's energy and flexibility -- at the age of 52, no less -- is genuinely impressive. And if this is to be Bean's last appearance, as Atkinson has said, he does send him off with a fair amount of showmanship.

Though it stumbles out of the gate, Mr. Bean's Holiday ends strongly enough to reach mediocrity. It is not the grand sendoff that one would hope for what has at times been a very funny character, but it is modestly amusing show which exits the stage a good deal better than it entered it.

I like Mr Bean, but it wasnt as good as the original Mr Bean series. The movie lost some of its magic here and there. But an overall good Mr Bean movie.

Was sweet and funny. Best part Mr. Bean with the baby.

Originally Posted by Yoda
He's British, but has none of the British culture's typical dignity.
Have you visited here lately? Or are you all still chasing Red Indians on horseback with your six shooter.

thanks ...............

Good review. I quite liked some moments in it, but overall it seemed like a kids movie to me.

Good review. I quite liked some moments in it, but overall it seemed like a kids movie to me.
That's the price you have to pay for mainstream comedy, I guess.

I found his first movie incredibly funny, the one with the painting. Buts it seems like this I'm not so sure because I didn't really finish it because I got bored sort of.

I like Mr Bean, but it wasnt as good as the original Mr Bean series. The movie lost some of its magic here and there. But an overall good Mr Bean movie.
I say, I have to agree here

Well for me the movie is good and also the series...Nothing change Mr. Bean is still funny...he makes me laugh a lot...

Have you visited here lately? Or are you all still chasing Red Indians on horseback with your six shooter.
I'm referencing a cultural cliche. Notice the other characters in Mr. Bean's world, which tend to fit that cliche. That establishes the comedic contrast I'm talking about. Whether or not it still applies in real life is another matter altogether.

Me too.
At times he can be funny.
Does he remind you of Pee Wee Herman?

I agree.. I had fun watching him on a TV series more rather the on a big screen.. but the movie is fair enough I think..

not that funny 6/10

This is a good sequel. But of course, nothing beats the first Mr. Bean movie. I love the first one so much!

This is a good movies... very funny!!

I'm a Mr. Bean fan but I thought this movie was boring. They should at least try to tell an interesting plot.

I also like Mr. Bean. I like the scene in Le Train Bleu restaurant, a seafood restaurant. hehe

This movie is good..But not that good..Yeah I agree with what they said that the first Mr. Bean movie is the best.