Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You are right. I more or less meant his western debut film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Let the night air cool you off
Good stuff, Minio. I really like the Clint westerns and Guy Maddin's The Heart of the World. I need to see more of Maddin's stuff. Have you seen Keyhole?

I

Un uomo, un cavallo, una pistola [The Stranger Returns] (1967) -

That looks and sounds really cool. I will look to 'acquire' this. Cheers, buddy!

Malificent

First movie I saw in 3D. The effect did actually work pretty good a couple times and the glasses aren't that stupid over my normal glasses. The movie itself is pretty interesting, but it would have been more enjoyable if the villain wasn't one dimensional. He's just evil for the sake of it.

Annie Hall

My second Woody Allen flick, very enjoyable. Goes right onto my 70's list.

Manhattan

Pretty much a sequel to Annie Hall, except without the cleverness.

Zodiac

A movie that I'm always revisiting, because it's always worth it. This is probably the seventh or eighth time I've watched it and I'm still catching things I didn't notice before. It makes bold choices while being incredibly disciplined, that's all I can ask of a quality film.

The Conformist

Lasted about an hour into this and turned it off. I don't have anything against surrealistic films, but there's a big difference between ones that feel surreal because there is so much effort put into them and ones that feel surreal because they are just lazy. There's absolutely no hook in this film to make me care about any of it.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford
+

What in the world happened in 2007? Three outstanding films(all Neo-Westerns) came out, No Country For Old Men, There will be Blood and of course this. This is the weakest of the big three, but damn is it good regardless.

There's a striking confidence to the narrative, and how it focuses on the characters. The acting is excellent, and while Brad Pitt is superb as the Jesse James, I think it might be Casey Affleck's incredible performance that really steals the show. Then comes the visuals. My lord are the visuals breathtaking. This might be one of the most beautiful films Roger Deakins has ever worked on, and believe me that's saying something. And of course I do find flaws here which do hold it back, most notably it's colossal length which should by all means be trimmed. And the pacing is outright glacial at times, but once you get into it you won't be able to look away.

Critic Mark Kermode noted how this is one of the most overlooked masterpieces of the 21st century, and he might be right. This is high-quality filmmaking, and it deserves to get more recognition.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
-

I've never been a big fan of Wes Anderson. His films are enjoyable and the quirky,colorful visuals are always stunning to look at. But I never really connected with any of his films to the extent that I would love them. The same applies to TGBH here.

This film of course is remarkable in it's visual style. Quirky,colorful,nostalgic and very vibrant. The story doesn't really do much for me however, as I do feel it's second hand to the visuals. Basically, I enjoyed TGBH. But I definitely don't love it. But I will say that Anderson is really good at what he does.

The Great Beauty

Without beating around the bush, yes there is a hint of Fellini here. But it's rather marginal.

Now with that out of the way, let me get into The Great Beauty. It is about a man Jep Gambardella, a man who grew up amidst the high society of Rome. Yet after his 65th birthday, he begins to realize that he doesn't have much to show for his life. Just like the two films above this one, this also has really gorgeous cinematography. The most striking example is a party sequence towards the beginning, and it is absolutely glorious. I do think the character of Jep is really interesting, but his personality isn't enough to carry a film which feels all too disjointed and meandering. My problem comes in that the film doesn't quite know what it's going for, and while many might state that there is alot of depth here. I simply don't see it, and find the whole film sorta superficial. In time i'd be open to giving this a rewatch, but as it stands I don't think it's all that great.

Late Spring

There's a certain warmth and beauty to almost every Ozu film. This is of course no exception.I just love how simple and restrained his filmmaking style is, and how human all the characters feel.

Oculus
+

Thoroughly enjoyable horror film, using atmosphere and psychological thrills rather than cans of gore to keep the audience on the edge of their seat. I'm a horror fan, always have been and always will be. To me, this is one of the best horrors I've seen in a very long time. It does what it needs to do, and it does it well.

It gets a thumbs up from me.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Black Mama White Mama (Eddie Romero, 1973)

Bucktown (Arthur Marks, 1975)

The Truth About Charlie (Jonathan Demme, 2002)

Red Dragon (Brett Ratner, 2002)
+

Serial killer The Tooth Fairy (Ralph Fiennes) is sweet on his next potential victim, blind Emily Watson.
Skeleton Man (Johnny Martin, 2004)

The Making of 'The World's Fastest Indian' (Murray Page, 2006)

Burt Munro: Offerings to the God of Speed (Roger Donaldson, 1971)

The World's Fastest Indian (Roger Donaldson, 2005)

New Zealand sexagenarian Burt Munro (Anthony Hopkins) travels to the Bonneville Salt Flats with his 1920 Indian motorcycle to try to set a land speed record.
Rumble on the Docks (Fred F. Sears, 1956)

The Mob (Robert Parrish, 1951)
+
The Players Club (Ice Cube, 1998)

Kick-Ass 2 (Jeff Wadlow, 2013)

Hit Girl (Chloë Grace Moretz) is just getting warmed up in her second go-round.
Elephant White (Prachya Pinkaew, 2011)

Wild Women aka Strippers from Another World (Dean McKendrick, 2013)

Ask Me Don't Tell Me (David Myers, 1961)

D.O.A. (Rudolph Maté, 1950)
-

Doctor Frank Gerstle shows accountant Edmond O’Brien the type of luminous poison he has ingested.
Kisses for My President (Curtis Bernhardt, 1964)

Cruel Intentions (Roger Kumble, 1999)

Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure (Russ Meyer, 1964)
(Russ Meyer’s version of Tom Jones.)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton, 2005)

Two things to remember about this version: Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp) really doesn’t seem to like kids (or parents), and he actually is a he.

@Meatwadsprite: How is The Conformist in any way surreal? It's a very straight-forward story, in my opinion.

Also, I think Manhattan actually has more depth and cleverness than Annie Hall. It may not be as openly witty, but it's smarter in a higher sense, I think. I'm glad you at least enjoyed one of the two Woody flicks, though.

Gotta finally watch The Conformist. That cinematography is amazing.
It's the best bit of the film. It's the only part I liked.

Hanna
- A fairytale action movie. Well made and some nice cinematography. While it didn't excite me, it has its moments and Saoirse Ronan plays it really well. Sadly Tom Hollander's Isaac came across as a poor man's Javier Bardem from Skyfall, which is bad seeing as Bardem was ridiculous enough in Skyfall.

Mean Streets
- I like it until the last half an hour or so. I don't know why. Maybe it's because Johnny Boy is so annoying I just can't buy Charlie's constant forgiving and guily. I know it's a Catholic thing, but as I don't understand that either, I'm still on a hiding to nowhere.

Searching For Sugarman
- I don't know if I'm overrating this or underrating it. It's fantastic. An amazing story, wonderfully told. I felt for everyone involved and their personal stories and connection came across so strongly I couldn't help but be affected.

The Taking Of Pelham 1,2,3 (2009)
- As I said elsewhere, the biggest connection between this and the original is that they're both good examples of their eras and the Hollywood that made them. This is a decent thriller, but it lacks the smarts and, more importantly, the atmosphere of the original.

X-Men Days of Future Past
- Fun and entertaining to watch from beginning to end, and worth paying to see. Better than X-Men: First Class but not as great as the original X- Men trilogy. After watching X 1-3, X- Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine and First Class...Future Past has quite a few continuity errors, making like some of the major events of the X- Men storyline in the films either never happened or pretty much messing it up completely. I might be a little picky but that's just me I guess. Things like that bother me. lol. Otherwise, the film was exciting and a joy to to be had.

I saw the Sugarman documentary was on iPlayer, HK, I might have to watch it sometime.
Do. I can't think how anyone could not like it. You might not love it, but it's a great story. Whatever you know about it, leave it at that. I don't think knowing about it will ruin it, and it won't affect how you feel about the people involved and their stories, but it's just a fantastic story.

Unregistered User
Do. I can't think how anyone could not like it. You might not love it, but it's a great story. Whatever you know about it, leave it at that. I don't think knowing about it will ruin it, and it won't affect how you feel about the people involved and their stories, but it's just a fantastic story.
Brilliant documentary. Such an amazing story. Great soundtrack too.

@Meatwadsprite: How is The Conformist in any way surreal? It's a very straight-forward story, in my opinion.
Maybe I'm just not smart enough, but almost every scene I was saying to myself "what the hell is happening here?". He gets harrased by a gang of kids and adults are just watching it happen. Some low rate government official gives him a gun. Then he points it at that guy, then somewhere else, then at himself. The main guy says to a priest right in front of his wife that he doesn't even like her that much. "Mediocre" he calls her. Then there's some party scene with a bunch of blind people and one of the blind guys punches someone. Also, this guy comes from wealth, but the money is running a little dry so he becomes an assassin ?

I wouldn't even have my faint grasp at what was happening if I hadn't read that the movie takes place during World War 2.

Also, I think Manhattan actually has more depth and cleverness than Annie Hall. It may not be as openly witty, but it's smarter in a higher sense, I think. I'm glad you at least enjoyed one of the two Woody flicks, though.
I thought it lived up to it's title, very superficial and fake. What did you think was smarter about it ?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Wizard of Oz (Larry Semon, 1925)
+
This Is the End (Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, 2013)

Blue Streak (Les Mayfield, 1999)
+
Sin City (Frank Miller & Robert Rodriguez, 2005)
+

Brutal Marv (Mickey Rourke) seeks revenge on many people, including silent cannibal Kevin (Elijah Wood).
Rize (Dave LaChapelle, 2005)
-
Idle Hands (Rodman Flender, 1999)
-
House of the Dead 2 (Mike Hurst, 2005)
+
China Seas (Tay Garnett, 1935)
-

Ship captain Clark Gable is usually kept warm at night by hooker Jean Harlow, but his old girlfriend has just come aboard.
A Day at the Races (Sam Wood, 1937)

Anna Karenina (Joe Wright, 2012)

Out to Sea (Martha Coolidge, 1997)

Changeling (Clint Eastwood, 2008)
+

Grieving mother Angelina Jolie confronts convicted murderer Jason Butler Harner before his execution and asks if he killed her missing son.
Black Orpheus (Marcel Camus, 1959)

9 Muses of Star Empire (Hark Joon Lee, 2012)
+
Scanners (David Cronenberg, 1981)
-
As It Is in Heaven (Kay Pollak, 2004)
+

New choir conductor Michael Nyqvist gives personal attention to free spirit Frida Hallgren.
Greenmail (Jonathan Heap, 2002)

Camelot (Joshua Logan, 1967)
+
Right at Your Door (Chris Gorak, 2006)
-
Get Low (Aaron Schneider, 2009)

Mysterious town pariah Robert Duvall considers having local funeral home director Bill Murray and his assistant Lucas Black organize a funeral party for him to attend while he’s alive.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Trial- 6/10

I think Anthony Perkins is a good actor. He definitely proved that he is not just a one trick pony for me. Unfortunately the film as a whole does not hold up all that well for me. The idea of the film sounded really intriguing I just don't think it was executed very well. Which seems insane to say since the film was under the helm of Orson Welles. I had only seen Citizen Kane previously but this one from Welles was a letdown for me. It has interesting scenes, but as a whole doesn't come together.

Watership Down-4/10

Might be a bit too critical of a rating, but I really didn't like it much. Filled with sad and sorrow, but a type of sad and sorrow that just isn't made for me. I'm a pretty big animation guy but nothing here really hit it well for me. Although it is strange because I can see why people would like the film. Will it make the 70s list? I'd consider it a longshot, but you never know.

Zodiac- 7.5/10

An enjoyable detective film, but I've still got Se7en pegged well ahead of it. I like Gyllenhaal in parts but yet there were parts that his acting didn't seem believable to me. I did enjoy Downey and Ruffalos roles though. Having only seen Se7en and Fight Club before it, I put this one in between the two. Hopefully I can get to The Social Network and Benjamin Button at some point this year. My favorite part of this film was the darkness and the setting of the film, as it seems Fincher is always solid with that.

Tokyo Story- 8.5/10

Tokyo Story is the first film of Ozu's that I have seen, and it surely will not be my last. I've heard a lot about his reputation as a director and he delivers here. He brings us a story of a couple of Japanese parents, who, realizing that their time may be coming short, embark on a visit to see their children in Tokyo. When they arrive they see that their kids are busy and don't have a lot of time for the,. The story and the premise are simple, but the emotional output and the scenes themselves are simply brilliantly executed. Ozu doesn't move the camera much, yet he is able to take simple scenes and turn them into gold. I don't want to give away a lot of the film, but it is a film that must be seen by all. The last twenty minutes of the film are very touching and among perhaps the best in world cinematic history. Really gives life a new meaning and perspective in my opinion.

The Marriage of Maria Braun- 6.5/10

My first viewing of Fassbinder. I can see why people would like it. I thought it was ok. Like Mark thought, movies like this aren't usually for me, but I can surely see why people would think its a good film. A small peeve of mine was that sometimes it seemed like sound was in the way of the drama and action (obviously designed to be this way, I just didn't like it). I thought the lead did well and while I watched it with subtitles, it was nice to get a bit of a refresher on the German language. The ending shocked the hell out of me. It won't make my 70s list, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it make the 70s list if enough have seen it.