JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Ok, boss.

You could say that Raging Bull is a boxing film and you would be right. Yet categorizing this film as just that, would be an insult to the drama of Jake LaMotta’s life that is retold in Raging Bull. In essence, Raging Bull is a character study of an insecure man. In fact, LaMotta is so insecure about himself, his sexuality and what others think of him, that he constantly feels the need to prove to everyone that he is a real man; a force to be reckoned with. Let me ask you this: why do kids fight? They mostly don’t fight because they want to hurt each other per se, but rather to make a point: “I’m the boss around here!”

Jake LaMotta had everything a young man could dream of. With every fight, he was seemingly unstoppably inching closer to the coveted World Title. He was married to a beautiful woman. His family loved him; his brother Joey stood by him through thick and thin. It seems like the best a young kid from the Bronx could hope for. And yet, throughout the film, we never see Jake be truly happy. Sure, he will occasionally laugh or smile, but there is always this underlying uneasiness when he interacts with other people. It’s as if he’s afraid that they are judging him. So, Jake acts like a child that has to make it clear to everyone who’s boss. And LaMotta does not spare anyone from his violent outbursts: he hits his wife, his brother and the few friends he has. I believe that he doesn’t do this to hurt them, but rather to keep them close to him: Stay with me and love me, or else… In reality, Jake isn’t only fighting his opponents in the ring, he is also fighting his own demons and unlike most of his opponents, these he cannot overcome. Because LaMotta is so afraid that the people close to him will leave him or betray him, he resorts to the one argument that always tips the scale into his advantage: violence.

This is also where LaMotta’s fights in the ring can be interpreted on a meta-level. You can look at them in a twofold way. Firstly, they serve as an outlet for LaMotta’s violent nature. In the ring, he can beat up guys all he wants and he does a splendid job at it. Vicky once made a remark that she found a certain boxer to be quite pretty. Later, LaMotta has to fight this man. He gave the kid a hellacious beating. In slow motion, we see the blood gushing from his face. We literally see his nose break from one of Jake’s power punches. The Bronx Bull shows us how he earned his nickname and we hear one of the ringside commentators say: “he ain’t pretty no more.” This was exactly LaMotta’s intention and Scorsese inserts a meaningful close-up of Vicky’s face. She got the message all too well.

Secondly, juxtaposed to the punishment LaMotta dishes out to his opponents, he isn’t scared of taking a punch either. It seems that in the ring, Jake penances for his sins by absorbing terrible punishment at the hands of Sugar Ray Robinson. It is a well-known fact in boxing that LaMotta’s chin was the stuff of legends. His defense remains underrated throughout history, but that doesn’t take away the fact that he was able to shake off punches that would’ve laid out just about any other man. As Scorsese once named the ring “an allegory for life”, it seems as if he and his screenwriter Paul Schrader wanted to make it look like Jake’s ability to absorb huge punches like a sponge isn’t just a case of toughness, but also a means of being punished for his sins. It’s like he’s saying in the ring: “I know what I do is wrong on some level, but I just can’t express it so I’ll do my penance in the ring.”

What Scorsese realized on a visual level, especially the fight scenes, in Raging Bull is – for lack of a better word – achingly beautiful. Before Raging Bull, boxing matches were pretty much always filmed from outside the ring. Scorsese not only brings the camera into the ring, but turns LaMotta’s fights into a sort of ballet through the use of slow-motion and Thelma Schoonmaker’s grand editing. Just watch the scene where we see the steam raise from Jake’s body. He really does look like a Raging Bull. Time and time again, in slow-mo, we see the punches make contact with his opponent’s body. The blood and sweat flies all over the place. During the final boxing scene of the film, we see a ray of blood splatter the people sitting on the first row. Subsequently, Scorsese slowly moves his camera upward, from Jake’s feet to his face. His entire body – even his legs – is covered in blood, his eye is swollen shut. There is no air of glamour attached to the sweet science in Raging Bull. It’s man against man in there. I have never seen the physical aspect of boxing, the pain and bloodshed that is an essential part of the sport, reproduced in such a realistic and believable manner as it was in Raging Bull. Michael Mann made a decent effort with Ali, where he managed to give the viewer a good sense of the intensity of the sport of boxing, but the film lacked the poetic beauty of Michael Chapman’s black-and-white cinematography.

The team that was responsible for the realization of Taxi Driver is largely the same for Raging Bull. Naturally, there are the usual suspects: Scorsese directing, Schrader writing the screenplay and DeNiro acting. But there’s another man that deserves special praise: Michael Chapman, the director of photography. He did an extraordinary job in Raging Bull and I’m not just talking about the virtuoso boxing scenes. My favourite scene of the entire film comes near the end. Jake LaMotta is arrested in Florida for intercourse with a minor. We see LaMotta in his cell, a single ray of light on him. As a result, LaMotta is a mere silhouette, a shell of the fighter he once was. He is pounding his hands and head to the wall while lamenting: “stupid, stupid, stupid…” Once again, LaMotta punishes himself for his acts. And I think the minimalist photography adds a lot to the emotional impact of that scene.

I’ve not yet gotten around to speaking about the performances. DeNiro, who portrays Jake LaMotta, actually came up with the idea of making the biopic. He became infatuated with LaMotta’s life after having read the man’s autobiography. As soon as Scorsese and Schrader came aboard, the project went into production and DeNiro immersed himself in the persona of The Bronx Bull. He met extensively with the man himself, his brother Joey and even his ex-wife Vicki. I’ve read that DeNiro even trained boxing with LaMotta and trainer Al Silvani, so as to make the fights look more realistic.

However, it is not DeNiro’s acting when in the ring that makes his performance so memorable. It’s his ability to communicate LaMotta’s mental issues. Like I said, there’s always this undercurrent of fear of being left or betrayed running through Jake’s head. The fact that DeNiro is able to effectively communicate this in a genuine way is a testament to his terrific acting skills. To this day, some of the scenes deeply unsettle me. When Jake starts beating his brother, convinced that he had a relationship with Vicki, I just cringe. This is the Robert DeNiro that I’ll remember, not the man making a clown of himself in Analyze This or Meet the Parents.

The other standout role is that of Joe Pesci as Jake’s brother Joey. He is as loyal a brother as he can be, training Jake, making him watch out for his weight and keeping the mafia at bay as best he can. It’s heartbreaking to see him get almost nothing in return from Jake, except distrust and a beating. You can think of Pesci what you want, but at his best, he is one of the finest actors I’ve seen on the screen.

Raging Bull not only captured LaMotta’s pugilist expertise, but also his violent, mentally uncertain persona, beautifully elucidating his success and adversity both inside and outside of the ring.

Wow. Amazing analysis, Brodinski. You make me want to drop everything I'm doing right now and re-watch Raging Bull.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I shall perhaps try and respond to all those many posts on the previous page at some point but right now I just can't be bothered! From now on if I don't like a film that is highly regarded and loved around here I'm just going to do what others do and simply say that it sucks, or that it's boring or that it just isn't for me. That seems to be let go a lot more. By trying to actually explain my reasonings it's made people question it all the more. That or I'll just keep them to myself! So for the time being let's have a moratorium on all discussion of Woody Allen and Martin Scorsese. If people want to talk about Scorsese there are plenty of other threads. And likewise if people want to talk about talentless, neurotic, lecherous, brutally unfunny little imps I'm sure there are threads for that as well!

Anyway back to clearing out the micro musings. The next bunch I have were from a couple of months back. It was inspired by the 80s Countdown and also my attempts at making my own list of 80s favourites. In addition it was one of the many spells this year when I was feeling really under the weather, so just looking for daft, light-hearted films. Many of the films I watched aren't necessarily all that great, with the ratings influenced predominantly by my enjoyment of them with a heavy dose of nostalgic fondness thrown in for good measure as the large majority are rewatches of old favourites.

Micro Musings - 80s Nostalgia Fest part 1

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Robert Zemeckis

Starring
Kurt Russell
Jack Warden
Gerrit Graham
Frank McRae
Deborah Harmon

Used Cars

Lewd, crude and very funny. Much of the humour may be fairly low-brow but the pace and energy with which its delivered is really strong. The large majority of the laughs come from Kurt Russell who is on terrific form as unscrupulous car salesman Rudolph Russo. It's a role that perfectly exploits the persona of douchebag arrogance mixed with immense charisma that characterised many of Russell's best performances. And while he's definitely the star here, the whole cast seem to be having a great time as they work through the film's wild antics. The film is directed by the great Robert Zemeckis, and as he would show throughout his career, Zemeckis proves to be a dab hand when it comes to constructing energetic and impressive set-pieces. On this particular occasion it's an epic driving set-piece that sees dozens and dozens of cars racing through the desert with lots of mayhem and stunts along the way.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Danny DeVito

Starring
Michael Douglas
Kathleen Turner
Danny DeVito
Marianne Sagebrecht
Sean Astin
Heather Fairfield

The War of the Roses

A deliciously dark slice of suburban hell. Despite its standing as a comedy, admittedly a very dark comedy but a comedy none the less, the film also proves to be quite an insightful look at the volcanic nature of relationships; the battle between love and hate, and a look at why and how such relationships fail. Oh and it also just happens to be very funny, with much of the credit owed to the cast. Just as was the case in Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile, Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner make for a fantastic double act, sharing as they do a terrific chemistry in their contentious, love/hate relationship. Douglas is greatly amusing and man Turner really was one sexy femme fatale in the 80s. I always loved her smokey, sultry voice. And then in addition to serving as director, Danny DeVito also stars in fine style as the lawyer who acts as our guide through their story. While I've always enjoyed the film purely from a comedic point of view, returning to it now what really struck me was the classy direction of Danny DeVito. It's not often you see such controlled and stylish direction in a comedy. He also does a terrific job of creating a sense of foreboding, almost Hitchcockian atmosphere which means that even though the film is playing it for laughs it also proves to be rather uncomfortable and apprehensive viewing. A great under-rated little gem.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Tibor Takács

Starring
Stephen Dorff
Christa Denton
Louis Tripp
Kelly Rowan
Jennifer Irwin

The Gate

This slice of kiddie supernatural horror/thriller fare certainly isn't a great film but one that still has a decent amount of fun to be found, although you certainly have to wait for it. This is because the first half of The Gate is exceptionally dull, mostly revolving around a couple of kids just talking and messing about. The film certainly redeems itself however with its second half where it becomes a sort of junior Poltergeist as the kids come under attack from a series of demons and creatures. Helping to bring all of those creatures to life are some really quite impressive practical special effects and stop-motion animation. Together that impressive work creates quite the sense of atmosphere with the film being really quite creepy on occasion.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Ron Howard

Starring
Don Ameche
Wilford Brimley
Hume Cronyn
Brian Dennehy
Steve Guttenberg

Cocoon

A really sweet, warm-hearted and gentle science fiction fairytale. The 80s was a decade marked by the boom in high concept, explosive action and the teen movie. So by comparison this really is a world away but makes for a welcome departure. It is without a doubt pretty corny stuff but is saved from straying too far into that territory by a series of engaging and touching performances from its geriatric cast, with Don Ameche, Wilford Brimley, Hume Cronyn and Brian Denehy in particular standing out. And while it may not dwell heavily on them there is also a deeper, more melancholic thread at play about the fear of ageing and the pain that comes with losing those you love. Just a lovely feel-good flick.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Michael Ritchie

Starring
Eddie Murphy
Charles Dance
Charlotte Lewis
Victor Wong
J.L. Reate

The Golden Child

-

I'm not sure I can really put up much of an argument in defence of this film, but what the heck I'll give it a go! As could become the official motto for this batch of films, this is not a particularly good film but one that I still really enjoy and find very funny on occasion. In this case much of that is down to the presence of Eddie Murphy. This was back when he was at the absolute top of his game, when he could take even the weakest of films and make them funny and entertaining. Here he just attacks the material with such incredible, unboundless energy. And most importantly he seems to get precisely what the film is all about. I constantly get the feeling that he's winking right at the audience, aware of just how silly the whole thing is. Silly but really good fun. I've always had a soft spot for mystical, Eastern-infused adventures and this is very similar to the likes of Big Trouble in Little China. Considering its age some of the film's effects are actually still quite good fun, as is Charles Dance's villainous turn as Sardo Numspa; Brother Numpsay! And it deserves at least one or two popcorn buckets for the dancing Pepsi can scene alone -

Now THAT is how you do product placement.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Tibor Takács

Starring
Stephen Dorff
Christa Denton
Louis Tripp
Kelly Rowan
Jennifer Irwin

The Gate

+

This slice of kiddie supernatural horror/thriller fare certainly isn't a great film but one that still has a decent amount of fun to be found, although you certainly have to wait for it. This is because the first half of The Gate is exceptionally dull, mostly revolving around a couple of kids just talking and messing about. The film certainly redeems itself however with its second half where it becomes a sort of junior Poltergeist as the kids come under attack from a series of demons and creatures. Helping to bring all of those creatures to life are some really quite impressive practical special effects and stop-motion animation. Together that impressive work creates quite the sense of atmosphere with the film being really quite creepy on occasion.
YUCK, YUCK, YUCK.

Tried watching this recently and it was just horrid.

I remember seeing it as a kid and liking it, but I hadn't seen it since. I don't know what Little Sexy Celebrity was thinking at the time. This movie was awful.

Yeah it's not great, and as I said the first half is dreadfully dull, but I still found it quite good fun. Although thanks for quoting it as it made me notice that it was only meant to be a 3, don't know where the + came from

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's a good analysis by Brodinksi, but still not convincing enough for me to put Raging Bull near the top of my Scorsese list either. Though it would probably beat many of the films I haven't seen, which is a pretty long list in it of itself.

Yeah it's not great, and as I said the first half is dreadfully dull, but I still found it quite good fun. Although thanks for quoting it as it made me notice that it was only meant to be a 3, don't know where the + came from
There's actually a sequel -- Gate II. Came out a couple of years after the first and stars Stephen Dorff's friend as a teenager. It's on Youtube.

BTW, thanks for making your Gate review extremely short (for you).

You're very welcome Sexy, my micro musings must be a real treat for you.

Speaking of review length by the way I'm just wondering what people think about my recent reviews of Bringing out the Dead and Age of Innocence. They were considerably shorter than my normal reviews and came in at about 750-800 words each. Do people think that's enough for them to be classed amongst my main reviews? Or do I need to come up with another category in between that and my micro musings?

Or do I need to come up with another category in between that and my micro musings?
Medium Musings.

I'm trying to come up with a system. I'm thinking 0 to either 300 or 350 words will be Micro Musings. 300/350 up to 600 or 650 will either by Medium or Moderate Musings. And then over 600/650 words (maybe 700?) I could perhaps count as Maxi or Major Musings.

In fact just for Sexy who hates having to read I'll also perhaps institute Miniscule Musings which would look something like this -

The Terminator - Awesome (
)

Man of Steel - Not awesome (
)

Hugo - Magical (
)

Used Cars - Fun (
)

How does that grab you Sexy? Or are they still too long?

I'd hate to see what your Extra Large Musings are like.

And -- Medium Musings. Not Moderate Musings.

I really didn't care for Used Cars. I watched it for the second time a week or so ago and I was struggling for the first 15-20 minutes. I was going to switch it off, but I know how much mark likes it and, as I hadn't seen it since I was about 10 or 11, I thought I'd stay with it. Didn't like it much. It's not funny and I really hated the end set piece. It reminded me greatly of those live action Disney films of the 70's and I hated those, too. Actually, Kurt Russell being part of it also helped give it that feel.

Cocoon, on the other hand, is wonderful. Love that film.

I think you should include SC ratings on all your reviews.

Micro Musings - 80s Nostalgia Fest part 2

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Jeff Kanew

Starring
Anthony Edwards
Linda Fiorentino
Nick Corri
Alex Rocco
Marla Adams

Gotcha!

++

An old favourite, this is not a particularly good film but it's one I still have a bit of a soft spot for. The film is basically your classic Hitchcock wrong man film but at its most Hollywood-ised and its most 80s; as if Hitchcock had made a teen movie. The pacing may be a bit of a problem at times but for the most part its a fairly breezy experience. The performances aren't the most skilled but not to the great detriment of the film, and in the case of Anthony Edwards it actually helps to build the naivety of his character. His character is a real 80s archetype; the likeable, slightly geeky and awkward guy that was often played by the likes of Matthew Broderick. In fact the whole movie just reeks of the 80s, right from its Cold War influenced story. Perhaps the most 80s element however is its music, a mix of score music right out of MacGyver and cheesy pop songs that even includes Frankie Goes to Hollywood's “Relax.” Oh and Linda Fiorentino is pretty damn smoking as the older woman who gets Edwards involved in the whole case of espionage to begin with.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Barry Levinson

Starring
Nicholas Rowe
Alan Cox
Sophie Ward
Anthony Higgins
Susan Fleetwood

Young Sherlock Holmes

+

This film has always felt very reminiscent to me of the River Phoenix-starring prologue in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Just as that brief sequence established all of that character's trademarks (the fedora, the whip, the scar, the fear of snakes etc), Young Sherlock Holmes takes place during the character's formative years and helps to establish all of the little touches that would come to define the character; the pipe, the deerstalker, the violin, his friendship with Dr. Watson etc. That continues with the film's fantastic post credits sequence which features a great pay-off that actually improves the whole film that proceeded it in just a couple of seconds. It also provides a tantalising hint at a possible sequel or franchise which sadly never materialised. My favourite aspect of the film was certainly the various hallucination scenes that strike down many of its characters and how they were depicted by some impressive and terrifically creative special effects - great scenes. The film actually holds a place in cinematic history because of its special effects; it was the first film ever to blend CG and live action seamlessly. Much like many films of this type during the 80s, Young Sherlock Holmes certainly feels like it has been inspired by the work of Steven Spielberg and Amblin (it was indeed produced by Amblin); it has that sense of warmth and magic but at the same time it's accompanied by a darker, more sinister edge. The performances may not be of the highest standard but certainly do the job. Nicholas Rowe makes for a lanky, mercurial Sherlock while Alan Cox is rather endearing as the bumbling Watson. With a witty and occasionally tongue-in-cheek script this is a little bit of a gem.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Douglas Trumbull

Starring
Christopher Walken
Natalie Wood
Louise Fletcher
Cliff Robertson
Joe Dorsey

Brainstorm

+

While it may have its limitations and its flaws, this slice of 80s sci-fi is just about able to overcome those issues with the end result being a rather intriguing one. The technology at the heart of its plot allows the film to address some interesting issues and look at some interesting questions, including the biggest questions of all such as what happens when you die and is there an afterlife. Despite its 1983 release date the film still feels very much like a product of the 70s, from both its aesthetic to its narrative which is informed by the conspiracy and anti-establishment sentiments that were so prevalent during both that decade and its films. The latter occurs when the technology in question is exploited by the military for purposes of warfare, raising ethical questions about its use. I found Brainstorm to have a slightly ponderous nature and pace which prevented me from truly getting passionate about it, but it did draw me in. And a large factor in doing so was certainly the strong cast; a cast that included Natalie Wood in her final performance having died during shooting. Particularly strong was Christopher Walken, toning down his eccentricities a touch but still maintaining his unique charisma and magnetism.

It's not often that I'm the one calling for remakes, but if Hollywood really is so set on the continuous conveyor belt of remakes/reboots/re-imagingings/whatever they're calling it this week, then I think this is the kind of project they should be looking at. Instead of remaking films that are still beloved classics such as RoboCop and Total Recall, why not a film like this? As far as I can tell it's not a particularly well-known film these days, it has an interesting premise to work from, while its reliance on computers and technology mean that it looks extremely dated these days so I don't think that updating it would be the worst thing in the world. And for once it may even be worth having it in 3D, or at least part of it. The machine that the scientists create allows for virtual reality style experiences which are supposed to be unbelievably real. So if 3D kicked in for those sequences to mimic the 'reality' I think it would be a nice touch.

My season of 80s nostalgia and cheese quickly segued into a season of John Hughes films. As someone who dearly loves his films it had been way too long since I had watched many of them

Micro Musings - 80s Nostalgia Fest part 3
(John Hughes special)

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
John Hughes

Starring
Anthony Michael Hall
Ilan Mitchell-Smith
Kelly LeBrock
Bill Paxton
Robert Downey Jr.

Weird Science

-

Only in the 80s! Weird Science is a fine example of the really stupid, high concept comedies that were so prevalent and popular during the decade; films that refused to adhere to logic as long as there were some laughs to be mined from it. And it certainly does find its share of laughs. Once again fulfilling the role of a loveable geek is Anthony Michael Hall, and once again doing a fine job of it. While as his brother Chet, Bill Paxton is a riot. And then of course there's Kelly LeBrock as Lisa, the embodiment of the boys wish-fufilment. What can I say but phwoar!!! She is just sex on legs. The only drawback in the cast for me is Ilan Mitchell-Smith who I find slightly irritating. One of the most fun aspects of the film are a large number of special effects which remain surprisingly fun and impressive given their age. Other fun stuff of note includes an attack on the house by a Mad Max style gang and an early appearance for a baby-faced Robert Downey Jr. Who could ever have predicted this guy wearing a bra on his head would go on to star as Iron Man and become one of the biggest stars in the world.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Howard Deutch

Starring
Molly Ringwald
Jon Cryer
Andrew McCarthy
Annie Potts
James Spader
Harry Dean Stanton

Pretty in Pink

I'm aware this isn't the manliest of films to show your affection for but I've got to admit to having a great deal of love for this seminal 80s hit from Hughes. Much of that is down to he presence of Molly Ringwald. I used to just absolutely love her, and I think this is probably her at her most adorable and enchanting. She's not the only success amongst the cast however, with many putting in great performances. Jon Cryer fills Anthony Michael Hall's shoes as the geek in fine fashion, extremely endearing as Duckie. Annie Potts brings energy and laughs as Iona, while Harry Dean Stanton brings a degree of gravitas as Ringwald's father. And then there's the wonderful James Spader. Admittedly he looks way too old to be playing this role but he just nails it, making Steff into this sneering and detestable figure that you can't wait to see fall on his face. It's sweet and it's very funny, with another great 80s soundtrack. Classic 80s. Classic John Hughes.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
John Hughes

Starring
Molly Ringwald
Anthony Michael Hall
Justin Henry
Michael Schoeffling
Haviland Morris
Gedde Watanabe

Sixteen Candles

+

Released in 1984 this was the film where John Hughes really established the formula that would serve him so well throughout the rest of the decade, particularly in regards to his 'teen movies.' Just as those that would follow, Sixteen Candles is not exactly the most realistic depiction of teen life; its young characters often talking and acting in a manner that doesn't always ring true in his heightened, almost fairytale-like world. While it may not always sound or look like we remember our teen years, it most certainly feels like it. And that is something Hughes was always able to do, perhaps better than anyone else ever has, certainly on such a consistent basis. It takes you back to precisely how you felt during your teenage years, accounting for a large amount of the film's charms. In addition to that though there are also a couple of very endearing and entertaining performances from Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall, a witty script from Hughes and just an immense amount of heart and charm.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
John Hughes

Starring
Eric Stoltz
Mary Stuart Masterson
Lea Thompson
Craig Sheffer
Elias Koteas

Some Kind of Wonderful

Almost a complete remake of Pretty in Pink, this is perhaps not vintage John Hughes (lacking in some of his usual sharpness) but it still has its treats to offer. Chief amongst them would have to be the beautiful Lea Thompson. I've not seen her much of late but man in the 80s and 90s she was just so gorgeous and loveable! Though running her close for my affections this time out would be Mary Stuart Masterson, who I found so endearing as tomboy Watts. Oh and there is also a wonderful, scene-stealing turn from Elias Koteas (always Mr Casey Jones in my eyes). The only slight negative amongst the cast would be Eric Stoltz who I found to be a little bit of a bland lead. While I don't have as much love for this film as I do for Pretty in Pink it does at least address the issues of that film's ending and this time gets it right. Great soundtrack as well.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
John Hughes

Starring
Steve Martin
John Candy
Laila Robbins
Michael McKean
Dylan Baker

Plains, Trains and Automobiles

+

Following a slew of films that focused on teenagers and families this marked John Hughes' first real foray into 'grown-up' films. As such it may lack some of the heart and nostalgic charm of his previous work, but it certainly makes up for those particular shortfalls with a large number of laughs. To generate those laughs Hughes crafted a script that crossed many comedy genres, taking in the buddy comedy and the road movie while mining humour from both witty wordplay, broad slapstick and even the occasional detour into the surreal and absurd; see for example the moment where both characters turn into skeletons. Steve Martin and John Candy both deliver one of their best ever performances and have a great rapport together. Perhaps the only problem I have with the film is that for the majority of its running time I don't find either character to be particularly likeable. Martin's Neal Page is a bitter, cynical grouch while Candy's Del Griffith really is as infuriating as Neal finds him to be. That remains a minor flaw however in what remains as one of the 80s best comedies.