True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I was replying to you. We were watching it as it aired, meaning we could rewind "live TV," as they call it and rewatch that 10-15 seconds. Frankly, I'm not sure I've ever turned on CC on our main TV with the big ol' cable box, but Wayne has. With Comcast as it stands now, it takes about 4-5 annoying steps to turn them on, and because we've never used them with either the DVR or any sort of "rewind" situation, it didn't even occur to me to use them. I honestly wouldn't have thought they'd work with either of those things.

Which shows you just how much I actually think about CC in general... like, never.

I dont think its even possible to be dissapointed in this series in any way, but if I was one of the "internet theorists" and put hours and hours into guessing the final...............well guys it's still is better than LOSTs final, eh'?!

By the way, the finale's title is "Form & Void," which is a Biblical reference. The second verse in all the Bible says that the world was "formless and void," so the title is intended to tie into the season's final lines.

"Once there was only dark" = "The earth was formless and void."

"Seems to me the light's winning" = "Let there be light." (the very next verse).

Finished here. It's been fun.
What a challenging finale, so many questions left hanging and unanswered. I love it.

I wish there was a little more closure. I wish they would have elaborated more about the Tuttle family. Nonetheless True Detective was a terrific show and I will be excited for next season. I can't wait to see who they cast for Season 2.

The Tuttle family may not have made its last appearance. Depends just how seperate each season is. However they do it, season 2 is going onstage after the Beatles.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I know this probably isn't going to happen, but what if the following seasons take place in the same universe as the 1st season. Like we wont see Rust and Marty, but they exist. And as the series might progress, we might get nods to their story and maybe some more more details about the cult.

Me and the wife just finished the season; awesome show. HBO really hit the jackpot getting those two leads. It'll be fascinating to see how they can match that casting next year. They shouldn't try to, meaning don't have two guys, mix it up somehow.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
An erudite and fitting closing, for sure. The murder case in this series was always secondary, I thought - the show was primarily about the existential transformation of the two leads.

And it did a remarkable job.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Great show, beautifully shot and well written. Two great leads that play well off each other. Can't wait to see what kind of direction they take the second season with new people, but I'm there.

Suspect's Reviews

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm halfway through and while first three episodes were really good, the forth one was truly amazing with this dazzling mastershot:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm halfway through and while first three episodes were really good, the forth one was truly amazing with this dazzling mastershot:

I was in shock after that episode. Amazing scene.

This is the next series I'm going to watch, alongside Fargo - don't like to have too many on the go as you lose track of what's happening.

It's got fantastic reviews, and I like the sound of the plot.

the tone he wanted to create was at odds with the plot he wanted to unfurl. He wanted an air of mystery, so he setup an actual mystery that he wasn't terribly interested in. But lots of viewers were. The fact that a straight character study wouldn't have been as compelling at first is, of course, the whole point: hook you with one thing and then try to reel you in with another.

Hmm, I don't know, Chris. I concur that the climax and revealing of the 'master villain' didn't meet the standard set by that incredibly long build-up (well over 6 episodes), but I slightly expected that when something is set in a real world, but hints at the extraordinary and the occult. The climax is actually not the best bit; the intrigue is. It's kind of like when you watch a magic trick, watching it performed is nice, but the intrigue of how it was done, is more interesting and compelling.

The show had a lot of us fooled, reading too much into it and micro-analyzing every detail, when all of that wasn't necessary. The (misleading) imagery and hinting at the occult, Rust's philosophical pessimism, it served its purpose, namely intriguing you as a viewer, then getting you completely invested, and perhaps, as many will have been, fooling you.

I myself was certainly guilty of it. I thought Marty's daughter would also be a victim of such an occult raping and killing, but couldn't have been more wrong on that. But tbh, good writing will do that to you: present stuff like that as a potential direction / twist to create tension and keep you wanting more.

Overall, this has to be the highest quality TV show of all time. The production value is off the charts. That catacomb maze finale, the tracking shot, the atmosphere creation, the overall tone and style that can only come from a single guy's plying his directorial vision, and the utterly amazing acting. The consistent high standard that was achieved is mind-blowing. But that sort of unique, high-end stylization with top notch actors can only be achieved over a short run. It would be impossible to do this kind of show over 10 + episodes, because it's incredibly time-consuming and no doubt costs boatloads of money to make.

To be honest, I think True Detective was as good as some of the best episodes as Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Deadwood. It was a marvel to experience.