RIP Gordon Lightfoot

Tools    

UGH! "If You Could Read My Mind" is my favorite folk song ever. I listened to "Sundown" so much I burnt myself out on it lol

RiP Gordon

I knew Gordon Lightfoot had been in bad health for the past several years, and certainly looked very gaunt recently, but somehow I hoped he'd keep going for a good while. He is absolutely one of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters. I was blessed to able to see him in concert in 1982 and he fired on all cylinders, being at the peak of his powers. I used to listen to my Gord's Gold LP over and over, even lulling me to sleep on a turntable that would automatically turn off when it reach the end of a side. By then, Gord had serenaded me, hopefully to dream of the Canada he so vividly described.

So many great songs that I can't even list them all. One of my favorites is from his Sundown album:

And one more from the Cold on the Shoulder album:

He may be gone but I will continue to listen to his music. Godspeed, Gord.

I grew up not far from his hometown of Orillia. He was one of Canada's greatest voices.

RIP Gordon Lightfoot

That's cool that you grew up near his hometown. He's my favorite voice of Canada, even over Leonard Cohen (whom I'm not a big fan of anyway). The song you posted, CRT, is the song that most comes to mind when I think of Lightfoot singing about Canada and being in Canada. Lyrics like:

There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun
Long before the white man and long before the wheel
When the green dark forest was too silent to be real

and

Oh, the song of the future has been sung
All the battles have been won
On the mountaintops we stand
All the world at our command
We have opened up this soil
With our teardrops and our toil

of course, all this coupled with the soaring orchestra on the recording. Just puts me right there.

saw him perform live last september and he definitely seemed like an 83-year-old man trying his best but it was still a lovely experience. his voice was basically the soundtrack to my senior year of college. rip
criticker

So, he broke Cathy Smith's jaw (the woman referred to in Sundown, IRRC) and she is the same person who gave Belushi a lethal 8-Ball.

So, he broke Cathy Smith's jaw (the woman referred to in Sundown, IRRC) and she is the same person who gave Belushi a lethal 8-Ball.
I'm sure the MoFos who are remembering & paying tribute to Gordon Lightfoot's music find such comments in a tribute thread to be rude.

Am I right MoFos?

I'm sure the MoFos who are remembering & paying tribute to Gordon Lightfoot's music find such comments in a tribute thread to be rude.

Am I right MoFos?

Well, the thread didn't ask for a hall monitor either, but here you are.

Because I've had it lying around forever, fairly neglected, I've finally started playing his two disc greatest hits album, and it seems I've under estimated him. I've always liked his most recognizable hits, but mostly had found anything else to be pleasant background noise.

But upon listening to these songs a couple of times a day recently while I'm just ****ing around the house, nearly all of them are beautiful little jewels.