Overrated and underrated films

Tools    

Here are films I believe are very underrated.

First Reformed

The mosquito coast

The United States of Leland.. it's filmed beautifully and in a very similar fashion to Donnie darko very dream like.

Rain over me.

The cable guy.. This film is popular but in my opinion the funniest Jim Carrey comedy.

Mud

Kwaidan

The Grey... Apart from the exaggerated CGI wolves the film is very moving and an intense ride.

The station agent. This is a quirky drama that stars Peter Dinklage who plays a character who fines at hard to relate and connect with people.

It's such a beautiful day.. This is honestly one of the most unique films you will ever see.

Maborosi

The sunset limited.. This film is painfully underrated and is a very deep and philosophical film and most of all very well written.

Love Liza

The fisher king

Number one... Last life in the universe. I didn't realize how obscure this film was until I joined to this site and a lot of people saying they've never heard of it. It's an absolute gem of a film that I recommend. it's a Japanese film. Half of it being filmed in Thailand. It follows a Japanese man who forms a bond with a Thai woman whom which they have both recently experience tragedy.

Now for the movies I think are overrated.

Midsummer... There are parts of this film I really like but I found the third act very weak and maybe it's just me but I felt the movie dragged in some places.

V For Vendetta.. The concept is clever but i just found the script and acting cringeworthy.

Scott pilgrim vs The world.

The Blair witch project

Deadpool

Every Disney Star Wars film.

Some like it hot.

Here are films I consider underrated:
Black Cop (2017)
Cats (2019)
Cuties (2020)
Heaven Is for Real (2014)
Into the Woods (2014)
The Prom (2020)
Spring Breakers (2012)
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

Films I consider overrated:
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
Heat (1995)
Incendies (2010)
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
Mary and Max (2009)
Stand by Me (1986)
Trainspotting (1996)

Not a fan of the terms overrated and underrated. There are, of course, a number of popular films I don't care for and a (smaller) number of poorly received films I enjoy. The issue though is those terms come with implications that other people who have the opposite opinion towards those films are wrong for enjoying/not enjoying them.

Here are films I consider underrated:
Black Cop (2017)
Cats (2019)
Cuties (2020)
Heaven Is for Real (2014)
Into the Woods (2014)
The Prom (2020)
Spring Breakers (2012)
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

Films I consider overrated:
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
Heat (1995)
Incendies (2010)
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
Mary and Max (2009)
Stand by Me (1986)
Trainspotting (1996)

Cuties... Yikes

Not a fan of the terms overrated and underrated. There are, of course, a number of popular films I don't care for and a (smaller) number of poorly received films I enjoy. The issue though is those terms come with implications that other people who have the opposite opinion towards those films are wrong for enjoying/not enjoying them.

Underneath the title I wrote I BELIEVE are overrated 😉

I genuinely believe it is a very well made film and would be worthy of a Criterion release. May I ask, have you seen the film and didn't like it or are you going based on what you have heard about it?

I genuinely believe it is a very well made film and would be worthy of a Criterion release. May I ask, have you seen the film and didn't like it or are you going based on what you have heard about it?

I saw the trailer and the way those young girls were dressed. There's no excuse to dress girls of that age like that, and have them act sexual on camera. The trailer pretty much confirmed what people were complaining about and Netflix rightfully lost a lot of money by having it on their streaming service.

Underneath the title I wrote I BELIEVE are overrated 😉
To clarify, I'm not calling you out, nor do I think you or anyone else in this thread is trying to minimize people who think differently towards the aforementioned films. I'm sure most people on this forum try to avoid that. My point is just that, though one can say they don't think people are wrong for liking/not liking certain films, the word overrated does carry that implication, whether you want it to or not. It does explicitly mean that something is rated or valued too highly, and saying "I believe" or "I think" doesn't erase that implication.

Again, not calling anyone here out or looking down on anyone who participates in this thread by any means. Just providing my own thoughts on those words and I why I don't care for them.

I saw the trailer and the way those young girls were dressed. There's no excuse to dress girls of that age like that and have them act sexual on camera. The trailer pretty much confirmed what people were complaining about end Netflix rightfully lost a lot of money by having it on their streaming service.
But can you accurately judge a film based on the trailer alone? I don't think so. The girls outfits and dancing is a part of the story and is meant to make the audience uncomfortable. The film is not condoning or promoting that type of behaviour. There is a lot more to the film than just the scenes from the trailer.

I saw the trailer and the way those young girls were dressed.

There's no excuse to dress girls of that age like that, and have them act sexual on camera...
Yes there is...profits.

The sexual taboo hype got an unknown director with a modest budget movie to get world wide attention. I think that's schmucky. But it seems controversial and shocking creates a buzz and sells tickets. I did see the movie and it had some good points and some redeeming qualities.

To clarify, I'm not calling you out, nor do I think you or anyone else in this thread is trying to minimize people who think differently towards the aforementioned films. I'm sure most people on this forum try to avoid that. My point is just that, though one can say they don't think people are wrong for liking/not liking certain films, the word overrated does carry that implication, whether you want it to or not. It does explicitly mean that something is rated or valued too highly, and saying "I believe" or "I think" doesn't erase that implication.

Again, not calling anyone here out or looking down on anyone who participates in this thread by any means. Just providing my own thoughts on those words and I why I don't care for them.

No I definitely get what you're saying. I use the term I believe to water it down because yes I agree just using that word alone can make anyone sound opinionated.

If a film/show aims to criticize sexual behavior, it has to walk a certain line with how much sexual content it can show and how frequently it depicts it. The more of it you have, the more dispersed your commentary gets and the more it seems like depicting sexual content is all you want to show. That's part of why Cuties fell apart. I think ueno's review worded this the best.

No I definitely get what you're saying. I use the term I believe to water it down because yes I agree just using that word alone can make anyone sound opinionated.
For what it's worth, I think this only becomes a problem when people who use those words get condescending, snarky, or make strong assumptions towards fans/critics of what they're referring to. When that isn't the case, while I still don't care for the usages of those words, I don't think it's inappropriate for people to use overrated/underrated by any means.

Yes there is...profits.

The sexual taboo hype got an unknown director with a modest budget movie to get world wide attention. I think that's schmucky. But it seems controversial and shocking creates a buzz and sells tickets. I did see the movie and it had some good points and some redeeming qualities.

I think you could get those points across though without actually showing the sexualization of .... 🤷

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Here are the 10 most overrated movies:

Blade Runner
The Seventh Seal
Kwaidan
Stalker
Paris, Texas
Metropolis
The Shining
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
The Lighthouse
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Here are the 10 most overrated movies:

Blade Runner
The Seventh Seal
Kwaidan
Stalker
Paris, Texas
Metropolis
The Shining
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
The Lighthouse

😂 I see you visited my profile

😂 I see you visited my profile
I'll visit your profile
These are all Perfectly Rated

They're perfectly rated because you like them!

My favorites out of those would be: Blade Runner but only the original theatrical cut...Stalker and Metropolis is pretty good too now that they found the missing scenes and restored it.

The Blair Witch Project is a movie that has aged very poorly. At the time it was revolutionary and people were legitimately shocked by it. It was a fresh and unique idea and I can see how an audience in 1999 would be scared by it. By the time I saw it years later in college, it just didn't work anymore. It just came across as a few idiots running around in the woods with no real payoff. A huge part of the thrill is believing it is real. Once you know it isn't, it loses luster.

Gummo has only been gaining respect over the last twenty years or so, but still underrated. One of the best films America has made in decades.

Shawshank is always going to be the most overrated movie in the world to me. It is the absolute epitome of average. Well made. Enjoyable. But also, who gives a ****. It's so competent and underwhelming it deserves way more hate from me than I actually give it.