The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Damn impressive. I wonder if you have the highest watch count of this countdown?

36? Go clean your room kid!.....just joking You're OK by me! BTW, I'm at the other end of the age spectrum and I can tell I'm not in time with the average MoFo, but oh well.
But I gotta know what did you mean by "I should keep that in mind when setting expectations going forward"? I'm just curious.
I didn’t mean anything by it, just some light ball busting.

I didn’t mean anything by it, just some light ball busting.
Cool. I didn't think you meant anything bad. I was just wondering how your viewed the countdown compared to your own movie taste.

The trick is not minding
These are the movies I haven't seen:

98. The Descendants (2011, Alexander Payne) 80 points
94. Captain America: Civil War (2016, Anthony Russo and John Russo) 81 points
85. Deadpool (2016, Tim Miller) 88 points
83. Toy Story 3 (2010, Lee Unkrich) 88 points
82. The Martian (2015, Ridley Scott) 88 points
70. Easy-A (2010, Will Gluck) 99 points
68. Edge of Tomorrow (2014, Doug Liman) 102 points
58. Zero Dark Thirty (2012, Kathryn Bigelow) 119 points
46. Logan (2017, James Mangold) 134 points
35. Burning (2018, Lee Chang-dong) 163 points
32. Boyhood (2014, Richard Linklater) 169 points
22. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen) 206 points
6. The Social Network (2010, David Fincher) 296 points
12. Mostly the superhero movies, which I understand isn’t your thing. Burning surprises me, of them all. The Martian as well, considering I always thought you were a fan of Ridley

Unless there's a HUGE upset tomorrow, these are the ones I haven't seen...

99. World of Tomorrow (2015, Don Hertzfeldt)
92. Anomalisa (2015, Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson)

86. 1917 (2019, Sam Mendes)
85. Deadpool (2016, Tim Miller)
84. Certified Copy (2010, Abbas Kiarostami)
81. The Turin Horse (2011, Bela Tarr & Agnes Hranitzky)
80. The Handmaiden (2016, Park Chan-wook)

70. Easy A (2010, Will Gluck)

60. Joker (2019, Todd Phillips)

53. The Revenant (2015, Alejandro González Iñarritu)

47. The Act of Killing (2012, Christine Cynn)
46. Logan (2017, James Mangold)
45. Midnight in Paris (2011, Woody Allen)
44. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, Martin McDonagh)
43. Silence (2016, Martin Scorsese)

37. Moonrise Kingdom (2012, Wes Anderson)
35. Burning (2018, Lee Chang-dong)
34. Gravity (2013, Alfonso Cuarón)
31. The Irishman (2019, Martin Scorsese)

18. Shoplifters (2018, Hirokazu Kore-eda)
16. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012, Don Hertzfeldt)
14. The Florida Project (2017, Sean Baker)

9. Her (2013, Spike Jonze)
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014, Wes Anderson)

Overall, 76*/100

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Burning surprises me, of them all.
I've been meaning to watch Burning ever since it came out. I tried a couple of times, and I just can't get past the first 10 minutes. Not because these opening minutes are bad. But because every time I start watching Burning, I immediately start thinking that this is not the right day for watching it and that I will like it more another day. And so I still haven't seen it. Let's hope the day I feel this is the day comes.
I always thought you were a fan of Ridley
I'm a fan of Blade Runner. That's a big difference.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You ready? You look ready.
is it just me or has this list taken longer to reveal than previous ones?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Just you. Exactly as long as all of them. Two reveals a day 100-11, one-a-day 9-3, then the last two. He missed no days.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It should feel faster, the older you are.

Weird.

When I watched Whiplash, it seemed like the type of movie and worldview a young man would have. I was no longer young enough to care about it that much. Watching JK Simmons just be a dick for about 100 minutes was at least entertaining though.
That's what puts me off the film the most.

I liked High Life, and I'm a bug Denis fan, but for some reason it didn't really stay with me. It's nowhere near her best.
Why do you like bugging her so much?

I get that Whiplash is intense and JK Simmons owns it, but I found it ultimately too ridiculous to think highly of.
See, this is how I already look at the clips I've seen and I'm rolling my eyes at that. The thought of watching the entire film/performance? I think I'd just leave.

Let me correct this."I think its worth remembering that (some) of the big, classic H'Wood musical (parts) aren't sung by the people onscreen." Most are.
I don't know enough about it to argue the point, so I'm happy to bow to superior knowledge on this. But there seemed to be about 2 or 3 women and men who sang the parts in most of the big/most famous H'Wood musicals of the 50's and 60's.

And the award for most meaningless posts on the countdown goes to...

Really? Dammit. I thought I was a shoe-in for that one.

I don't think there is a big difference between 36 and 46
FYI, it's 10 years.

There are some I haven't seen, though. And all of that is by choice. :P
Me too. Although it's almost all of them and they're all by choice.

It's such a shame that so much work has gone into a decade so poor. It has been fun though, for the most part, so thanks to everyone for posting and making it so.

It's such a shame that so much work has gone into a decade so poor.
The decade wasn't poor. You're all just watching the wrong films.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Since there is a discussion about the "Seen Index"...

As with the Comedy countdown, I'm at a bit more than half of the list seen, meaning about 56-58.

Moreover, I don't count completists as connoisseurs (knowledgeable about the art of cinema).

I really love The Grand Budapest Hotel, however, I simply didn’t have room for it. Or, I also knew it would make it high just fine without me, so I rather wanted to vote for other films that might have a harder time. At least if I was in doubt and thought two movies were equally good, I often went with a pick I knew didn’t have a secured, say, top 10 place on this list..

I am slightly surprised though that it made it all the way to number three.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
#16. ROGUE ONE
(2016, Edwards)

This is one I thought had a bit of a chance; at least in the first half of the list. Unfortunately, it didn't. I still think this is the best Star Wars film to come out in this century. I love the way it crafts this story about reluctant and unlikely heroes being borne out of "social rejects" and "outcasts", and out of sheer need, instead of the want for glory. Instead you have the desire and need for freedom. I love that this feels more sober and less "market-driven", which seems weird, considering it was made just to tie in with the original Star Wars. Still, I think Tony Gilroy does an excellent job in creating a world that feels real, inhabited by real people, and plagued by real issues.

Seen: 72/95

My ballot:  

I echo those statements. This is one of my Beloved Rewatches from my list, and rate it on the top end of the Star Wars films.

Since we all know the last two entrees, Posting a few that am genuinely shocked not to make this countdown.

"50 / 50" was my #3. A funny, touching, well rounded story about cancer. Yeah, that could be a huge turnoff for some. Check me if I'm wrong, but other than "Looper", this is only the second time J. Gordon-Levitt has been mentioned.

American coming-of-age, dark comedy-drama film written and directed by Bo Burnham. Found it to be one the best in this department. Thought this one was loved around these parts.

Its been awhile since I laughed this hard at a film. Four inept Jihadists pursuing what Jihadists do best. My # 12.

My ballot:  

Never heard of : 29 / 98
Seen: 46 / 98
1 ptrs: 4

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like Grand Budapest Hotel . Not really in consideration for my list though. None of the top 10 were on my list.

I've seen 79 overall, which is fewer than I feel I should have watched. Lots to add to the watchlist though, including those from people's individual ballots that look interesting.

American coming-of-age, dark comedy-drama film written and directed by Bo Burnham. Found it to be one the best in this department. Thought this one was loved around these parts.

Its been awhile since I laughed this hard at a film. Four inept Jihadists pursuing what Jihadists do best. My # 12.
[/left]
Briefly considered Eighth Grade, but as touching as it was and much as I liked it, it's not a film that stuck with me.

Four Lions, on the other hand, I hung to for a bit more. I had even put it on my Comedy Countdown ballot, so at the end of the day, it was a conscious choice to put it aside and put the spotlight on a few other lesser knowns.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#9. FIRST REFORMED
(2017, Schrader)

Yet another one that I thought had a bit of a chance. A thought-provoking script that manages to go into interesting and unexpected places as it explores the notions of despair and hope, and how we handle those in the face of real-life situations. Great performances by everyone, but especially Ethan Hawke. But props to Schrader for trying to present his themes of hope, despair, pollution of the body and spirit, but also our purpose in the world. One that has stuck with me quite fiercely.

I also thought that this movie gonna be in the list.
Again, I didn't consider it for my ballot but anyway, it is among the films that I'll remember from the decade. It is on my extended list, top 70 probably...

I just did a quick count think I'll be at 95/100 seen. Two that I want to watch soon: The Favourite and The Lighthouse.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Victim of The Night
I feel like it's safe to say, at this point, that my No.5 will not be making the list...