The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

As I said when Moonrise Kingdom showed up, I've seen seven of Wes Anderson's films and have only liked one. It's not Moonrise Kingdom and it's not The Grand Budapest Hotel, either. (It's Isle of Dogs, which was one of the last films I cut from my ballot.)

Seen: 59/98
My Ballot:
1. Her (#9)
6. The Skin I Live In (#127, Near Miss)
7. Joker (#60)
8. Django Unchained (#27)
9. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
10. You Were Never Really Here (#120, Near Miss)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (#89)
24. Call Me By Your Name (#102, Near Miss)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Review for The Grand Budapest Hotel:

The Grand Budpest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/12/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 12th HOF, edarsenal's nomination
Rewatch: No

This is the sixth Wes Anderson film that I have seen and the third that I've been obligated to watch for a MoFo Hall of Fame. (Can y'all do me a favor and stop nominating his crap, please?)

Once again, I like the the look of the film. Wes Anderson has a keen eye for color and camera angles. His films virtually pop off the screen. And were that enough to make me actually like a movie, I might be a fan. But it isn't. Yet again, I didn't buy his characters. They don't act or speak like real people (yes, I know he's not trying to make them seem real, but damn it, that doesn't mean I have to like it) - though Gustave seemed far more believably human than most Anderson creations. So I do give some credit for that but he's still not human enough for me to care what happened to him. I also don't find Anderson's particular brand of quirk at all amusing and this was no exception. As with the other five Anderson films I've seen - The Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Rushmore, and Moonrise Kingdom - I spent most of the movie with a completely straight face. That is, when I wasn't muttering "This sucks" or checking to see how much longer it would be until the end.

-

The Grand Budapest Hotel was in my Top Ten, sitting at number seven, good for nineteen of its 398 points. I am an unabashed Wes Anderson junkie. I was lucky enough to see a screening of Rushmore at a film festival in October of 1998. That one remains my favorite, but I have been hooked ever since and I am definitely on the same melancholy wavelength. While he added three wonderful entries to his filmography in the 2010s (also Moonrise Kingdom and Isle of Dogs) The Grand Budapest Hotel has certainly emerged as the favorite of many and even begrudgingly liked by those Wes Anderson haters who call him twee or whatever insult they are using to mask the fact that they have no hearts. The Grand Budapest Hotel has all of Wes' trademark visuals and deadpan sensibility, but it has a darkness to some of the humor as well as going for some broader almost Looney Tune type gags that aren't in all of his other movies, juxtaposed for some big, big laughs, and all anchored by Ralph Finnes' hilarious Monsieur Gustave H. and supported by Anderson's ever-growing stable of character actors including Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, Harvey Keitel, and some first-timers like Saoirse Ronan, F. Murray Abraham, Jude Law, and the marvelous Tony Revolori who stands toe-to-toe with Finnes as Zero the Lobby Boy.

I am not really surprised it is this high on the countdown. It is my second-favorite Wes joint thus far, wedged between Rushmore and Fantastic Mr. Fox, and now sits anointed near the pantheon of MoFo favorites as well.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
1. La La Land (#5)
2. The Tree of Life (#10)
3. The Social Network (#7)
4. Incendies (#30)
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel (#3)
8. Silence (#43)
9. Birdman (#21)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
12. A Hidden Life (DNP)
13. Hunt for the Wilderpeople (DNP)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
16. Her (#9)
17. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
18. Blade Runner 2049 (#8)
19. Silver Linings Playbook (#24)
20. Blue Ruin (DNP)
21. Room (#97)
22. True Grit (#40)
24. Get Out (#19)
25. Hearts Beat Loud (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Is it dropping the suspension of disbelief that people could randomly burst into song at any moment?
That's my biggest problem, yes.

Is it cringe worthy when other people in the film just happen to know all the words?
Very cringe worthy, yes.

I'm guessing you like music, but just not in the context of musicals/showtunes.
Yes, I love music but not showtunes unless you count the Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack.

Have you seen Cabaret?
I have.
Cabaret (Bob Fosse, 1972)
+
As for Cabaret, I had trouble connecting with the characters and, except for the very last song, I didn't like the music. It did have a few lines that made me crack a smile and liked the story well enough, but I found myself getting quite bored with it at times.
I watched it in 2014. I was more generous with my ratings back then. It would probably be more equivalent to a
with the way I rate them now.

Welcome to the human race...
The Grand Budapest Hotel was my #24 - in other words, only slightly better than Resident Evil: Retribution. I've already noted how much I keep meaning to rewatch all of Anderson's films just to properly organise my feelings about his work, but I'm confident that this would be near the top (don't think it's likely to overtake Tenenbaums as my favourite any time soon). One could almost consider it his Goodfellas in how it takes seemingly everything he's been building towards across his entire fillmaking career and crystallises it in a single feature - precision imagery, lyrical deadpan, unbeatable ensemble, and so forth.

Genuinely had this down as a fluff comedy movie like Mama Mia or Bridget Jones' Diarrhoea

#3? I mean, really?
Genuinely get a better idea of what you're talking about.

Here are a few questions:
3. What film do you think will be at #1? HINT: It's Mall Cop 2
3. Mad Max: Fury Road, but that's just wishful thinking.
Looks like this might end up not being just wishful thinking after all.

I'll place The Grand Budapest Hotel in the good Wes Anderson column. #3? I guess so eh! It's got everything: the direction is overstated, the actors are quirky, the production design is flamboyant, and the cinematographer is centered...and I mean centered!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I think Isle of Dogs is my favourite of Wes Anderson's for the decade. I only recently realized Isle of Dogs = I Love Dogs.

But I put Bottle Rocket at the top of his filmography. I know I'm in the minority but maybe I'm just a rebel.

The Grand Budapest Hotel...didn't realize it was loved that much around here. I guess all it takes for a movie to make it these days is pretty pastel colors

I don't mind The Grand Budapest Hotel making the countdown...and it's the last film to come that I've seen and liked. My old review:
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

I have high praise for Ralph Fiennes portrayal of the well groomed, M.Gustave. A man with impeccable taste and civility who demands the best from those around him. This was a great character idea! I can't image another actor in this role, he's amazing.

His sidekick the new lobby boy is played by the young actor Tony Revolori. This was his first feature film and he nailed his performance. His quiet sincerity provides the perfect counterbalance to Fiennes flamboyant character. Tony Revolori is going to have a bright future in films I predict.

I also have very high praise for the sets, they are beautiful! I wish I could visit The Grand Budapest hotel in it's heyday. The rooms look so rich in their old world charm and class...very elegantly decorated and cool. And the colors of this film!...the pastel pinks, the lavenders, the powder blues....Vincent Minnelli would have loved this film. The art direction deserves high credit for such a beautiful looking film.

However for me, none of this was enough to hold my interest. After the first half hour, I became disinterested. I wasn't caught up in the story, nor did I care what happened to the characters. Perhaps it was the zaniest of both the story and the camera work that took me out of the movie. Ultimately I didn't care and the film lost me.