Robert Altman Appreciation Thread

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

I couldn't fine one, very surprising... I'd recommend checking out "Nashville" and "McCabe and Mrs. Miller"

I just found this 3 hour documentary that I am going to start.. Link down below... I will rate the movies of his I have seen, just didn't wanna forget (after the documentary).

I'm curating the Verhoeven... not hard work at all.
Just a case of throwing out something every now and then to keep interest. I'm doing a movie-of-the-month thing with mine.

When was the Katheryn Bigelow Club added and is there no curator?

Not found an Altman i've loved yet but i've only seen four: The Player, Mash, Gosford Park and McCabe & Mrs Miller. I like them all at least somewhat except Mash. Not sure if he's for me at least so far.

Also probably watched Popeye when i was younger but if i did i don't remember it.

Let the night air cool you off
Any of you seen Tanner '88? If so, I'd love to read some thoughts on it.

I've only seen three of his films: The Long Goodbye, Nashville, and Popeye. I like all three to varying degrees, but I probably like Popeye more than any other person in the world. I've had McCabe & Mrs. Miller ready to watch for way too long now.

What's the advantage of a club?
With a club you can do what you are doing here, promoting and discussing Robert Altman with people who are interested in his movies.

Sean curates the Hitchcock club and has done a lot with it, by having movie watching threads, that people watch if they want, and then discuss the movie.

See for yourself.
https://www.movieforums.com/clubs/alfred-hitchcock.html

Matt, the first thing you would do is tell Yoda you want to curate the Altman club, then you add threads about Altman and his movies into the club, which is way easy! it might sound hard but it's not. This thread would be one that you would 'tag' as part of the Altman club. I know you like to discuss ideas with people, with the Altman club you would have a place to easily do that.

Any of you seen Tanner '88? If so, I'd love to read some thoughts on it.

I've only seen three of his films: The Long Goodbye, Nashville, and Popeye. I like all three to varying degrees, but I probably like Popeye more than any other person in the world. I've had McCabe & Mrs. Miller ready to watch for way too long now.
I just started watching it, and it's very, very good. It's get better as you go along (the pilot isn't THAT great). There are a lot of real figures, including Presidential candidates, other celebrities, heck, they even had Sidney Blumenthal, and this show is 30 years, but it's now a reminder of how a Donald Trump becomes President.

In that 3-hour interview, Altman talks about "2004" - and the shows I have all start with a modern (2004) spin on "88'" (still in character)... I'm guessing The Larry Sanders Show had to be influenced by this, also a great show.

You're a hero, matt! Keep sharing this kind of videos, because I'm sure that there are many other members that enjoy these as much as we do.

Anyway, I'm a huge Altman fan and I've seen these ten films of his so far:

Gosford Park
Short Cuts
The Player
Secret Honor
Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
3 Women
Nashville
The Long Goodbye
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
MASH

Most of those are genuine favorites of mine and the others are films that I'm also really fond of. I'm planning to watch a lot of his other films once I've submitted my master thesis (June 6). He's truly one of the giants, in my opinion.

You're a hero, matt! Keep sharing this kind of videos, because I'm sure that there are many other members that enjoy these as much as we do.

Anyway, I'm a huge Altman fan and I've seen these ten films of his so far:

Gosford Park
Short Cuts
The Player
Secret Honor
Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
3 Women
Nashville
The Long Goodbye
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
MASH

Most of those are genuine favorites of mine and the others are films that I'm also really fond of. I'm planning to watch a lot of his other films once I've submitted my master thesis (June 6). He's truly one of the giants, in my opinion.
You're welcome! I absolutely loved the interview so much I wrote a few things down. When he was asked on influence, I love how he said "I don't know any of their names. They were usually bad movies. 'Ok, well I know I'll never do that!"

Very interesting guy... There is a huge book on Altman that was a fun read.

Down below is a full hour show on Dick Cavett right after he made M*A*S*H

Nashville - 10/10
McCabe and Mrs. Miller - 10/10
The Long Goodbye - 8/10
Tanner '88 - 8/10 (great political sitcom!)
That Cold Day In The Park - 8/10
Secret Honor - 7.5/10
Three Women - 7/10
Vincent & Theo - 7/10
The Player - 7/10
Thieves Like Us - 6/10
California Split - 6/10
M*A*S*H - 6/10
Short Cuts - 6/10
A Perfect Couple - 6/10
A Prairie Home Companion - 6/10
HealtH - 5.5/10
Brewster McLeod - 5/10
Streamers - 5/10
Gosford Park - 4/10
Fool For Love - 3/10

Any1 see the movie "Images"? I got to the 26 minute mark and couldn't handle it.. It's based on a dream, and I doubt the dream was going to get "better"

Nashville - 10/10
McCabe and Mrs. Miller - 10/10
The Long Goodbye - 8/10
Tanner '88 - 8/10 (great political sitcom!)
That Cold Day In The Park - 8/10
Secret Honor - 7.5/10
Three Women - 7/10
Vincent & Theo - 7/10
The Player - 7/10
Thieves Like Us - 6/10
California Split - 6/10
M*A*S*H - 6/10
Short Cuts - 6/10
A Perfect Couple - 6/10
A Prairie Home Companion - 6/10
HealtH - 5.5/10