Hardcore Henry

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

The only thing you really need to know:

"Along the way, he gets help from Jimmy (cheekily played by District 9's Sharlto Copley), a mysterious guide who, for reasons unexplained, keeps dying and respawning as wildly different versions of himself. One minute he's a hard-ass cop giving Henry instructions, the next he's coked out of his mind telling Henry where he keeps his best pistols."

Welcome to the human race...
Seen both trailers and I'm naturally inclined to think it's not going to be very good but I'll still check it out anyway.

So rather than watching videogame cut scenes masquerading as films, it's a film masquerading as a videogame? I don't know if I'll like it or not, but I prefer it that way around.

I saw the first trailer in the theater a couple weeks ago. I don't think I will see this no matter the reviews. It made me pretty dizzy. Felt really annoying as well.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I don't know what to think of it. My first thought was that it might get old after a bit. Then I started getting excited because it seems so different. Credit to them for trying something different, regardless of how it turns out.

I have to return some videotapes...
Looks absolutely insane and I think it will probably be garbage story wise, but the action could possibly be worth it.

10/10 must watch!!!!

Either this will be the most badass adrenaline ride ever... or I will be sick, tired and dizzy of it after 15 minutes and regret that I bought tickets for it.

But my inner machoism screams that I have to see it. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Probably (one of) the most appropriate songs for a First-Person Shoo- I mean First-Person Trailer. Once Queen started playing, I had a good feeling tingling inside.

I'll admit, the others were right about the disorientation. It sure reminds me of Cloverfield all over again. But damn, as something of an enthusiast of shooter games, I can't help but be fascinated by this very interesting take on video game movies. The premise alone reminds me of one of my favorite action movies, Crank, in that it seems like a no holds barred adrenaline thrill ride. Probably going to be exhausting, all that shakey cam, but again, what a fascinating movie concept. "Nothing like I've ever seen before" is correct.

Gonna add this one to my watchlist. Hope Henry at least get to use a BFG of sorts like in Doom.

Honestly, being so strongly reminded of Crank is why I'm skeptical about this being any good. The same goes for Doom to a lesser extent.

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation
10/10 must watch!!!!

Either this will be the most badass adrenaline ride ever... or I will be sick, tired and dizzy of it after 15 minutes and regret that I bought tickets for it.

But my inner machoism screams that I have to see it. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.
Originally Posted by Spirit
It's my kind of schlock. Definitely gonna see it.
Same. So long as it keeps to the action and skims that blehk kidnapped-wife plot, I'll be good.

Been wanting a really good first-person movie to wash the taste of Maniac out of my mouth.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Same. So long as it keeps to the action and skims that blehk kidnapped-wife plot, I'll be good.

Been wanting a really good first-person movie to wash the taste of Maniac out of my mouth.

No matter how much he tries to be serious, I can never see him as anything other than Frodo. Even in the first Sin City, where he butchers people, I thought it was laughable.

All that aside from the fact that Maniac sucked out loud to begin with, the original was MUCH MUCH better.

But Hardcore Henry looks like something that might be fun if watched with the right friends and maybe a few beers. But otherwise, I have to agree with Iro.

I think this is the next Blair Witch Project. If it's a hit, you better believe that there will be hoards of imitators. A new, innovative style of moviemaking that costs virtually nothing to make and can be marketed virally on its gimmick. I know that first person movies have existed, but I can't think of a wide release one, and I can't think of a first person action movie, which matters because it seems more like a video game. I won't be seeing it in theaters-I'm one of those people who walked out of Cloverfield and puked in a trash can on the way-but I will definitely catch it on a smaller screen where I can look away.

Honestly, being so strongly reminded of Crank is why I'm skeptical about this being any good. The same goes for Doom to a lesser extent.
To be fair, I was referring to the video game more than that crappy movie, although I was thinking of the very cool FPS sequence in the Doom movie that made me as interested in Henry.

Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds
No matter how much he tries to be serious, I can never see him as anything other than Frodo. Even in the first Sin City, where he butchers people, I thought it was laughable.

All that aside from the fact that Maniac sucked out loud to begin with, the original was MUCH MUCH better.
Beyond Frodo The Ripper I just found Maniac generally unpleasant.

Originally Posted by ursaguy
I think this is the next Blair Witch Project. If it's a hit, you better believe that there will be hoards of imitators. A new, innovative style of moviemaking that costs virtually nothing to make and can be marketed virally on its gimmick.
HEY, Blair Witch Project took virtually no effort to make. If Hardcore Henry's about to jumpstart any sort of genre, at least they got some serious action sequences in it. They're not setting the bar THAT low.

HEY, Blair Witch Project took virtually no effort to make. If Hardcore Henry's about to jumpstart any sort of genre, at least they got some serious action sequences in it. They're not setting the bar THAT low.
You never know, maybe there will be a wave of imitators where the action extends to little more than slapping a GoPro on a stunt performer and making them run through whatever action they can come up with for cheap.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
You never know, maybe there will be a wave of imitators where the action extends to little more than slapping a GoPro on a stunt performer and making them run through whatever action they can come up with for cheap.
Totally plausible. Honestly, an idea I would be interested in seeing would be a first-person movie in which we see someone suffer through a terrible day at school with all the trimmings: crappy teachers, tests, bullies, futile love interest, the works. Have something as mundane and seemingly everyday as that actually culminate to something.

Originally Posted by foster
You have obviously never made a movie.
And you'd be wrong about that assumption.

Regardless, I'm speaking relatively here. Paranormal Activity is fairly inconsequential as far as movies go, but in terms of depth and scope it's leagues beyond Blair Witch Project which was 90% kids improvising panic out in the middle of nowhere.