John Huston

Tools    

Loved his narration of the movie Cannery Row (1982), one of my "guilty pleasure" movies starring Nick Nolte and Debra Winger. Not the best. Far from the worst. But the narration was outstanding.

You mean the actual narration, right? & not the visual narration style or something like that.

Coz he didn't direct that movie (I'm sure you already know that)

I was hoping this thread would be mainly about him as a Director.
I guess it can be for his entire work.. my bad!!

carry on.

You mean the actual narration, right? & not the visual narration style or something like that.

Coz he didn't direct that movie (I'm sure you already know that)
Yes, the actual (vocal) narration. I'll have to look up all the movies he's directed/acted in to see which ones I've seen. Bis spater alligator.

Couldn't find a thread for this guy, so thought I'd start one.

John Huston (1906-1987)

Begin with naming your Favourite film & then the thread will take it's own direction.
He started out with a great film his first time up as a director: The Maltese Falcon. I think the secret of Huston's success as a director is that he started as a writer. Many of the best directors are writers at heart.

Semper Fooey
Ten Best

The Maltese Falcon
Treasure of Sierra Madre
The African Queen
The Asphalt Jungle
Moulin Rogue
The Man Who Would be King
Prizzi's Honor
The Dead
Fat City

JOHN HUSTON
The Maltese Falcon, A
In This Our Life, B
Across the Pacific, B-
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, A+
Key Largo, B
We Were Strangers, B-
The Asphalt Jungle, A-
The Red Badge of Courage, B-
The African Queen, A-
Moulin Rouge, A-
Beat the Devil, B-
Moby Dick, C+
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, C+
The Barbarian and the Geisha, D
The Roots of Heaven, D+
The Unforgiven, B-
The Misfits, B+
Freud, C+
The List of Adrian Messenger, B+
The Night of the Iguana, B+
Reflections in a Golden Eye, D
Sinful Davey, C+
The Kremlin Letter, C
Fat City, A-
The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean, A-
The MacKintosh Man, C
The Man Who Would Be King, A+
Wise Blood, B-
Phobia, F
Victory, C-
Annie, B-
Under the Volcano, A
Prizzi's Honor, A-
The Dead, A-

overall grade: B-
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Semper Fooey
Holden Pike forgot one, A Walk with Love and Death. Angelica probably wants to forget it also.

Originally Posted by will.15
Holden Pike forgot one, A Walk with Love and Death. Angelica probably wants to forget it also.
I haven't seen it it so long I decided not to rate it on a twenty-five-year-old memory. But I think I have a bad VHS dub of it around here somewhere, I'll have to dig it up. Poor Angelica. She did get better, she was simply too young and not ready for that level of role. She admits as much now.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I love John Huston. As far as A Walk with Love and Death goes, I also saw it several years ago, but it was on the Fox Movie Channel today so I rewatched it. It's a simple film but the subject matter (The One Hundred Years War) is rarely depicted in film. This is a basic tragic romance set during a time of violence and upheaval. Anjelica Huston was only 17 when she filmed this, but she does seem to grow into the part because she comes across as a 17-year-old whose life has been turned upside down. Her male co-star, Assaf Dayan, was 23 and more-experienced but he seems to not register as well on screen. The screenplay is by Dale Wasserman, best known for the plays Man of La Mancha and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The on-location filming in Europe by Edward Scaife (Khartoum, The Dirty Dozen) is an asset as is George Delerue's lovely score, but the overall effect is rather modest. Even the ending is somewhat effective but is over before you can really feel it. My rating is

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 10/10
The Misfits - 10/10
Fat City - 9/10
Wise Blood - 8/10
The Asphalt Jungle - 8/10
Key Largo - 8/10
The Maltese Falcon - 7.5/10
The African Queen - 7/10
Prizzi's Honor - 7/10
The Night of the Iguana - 7/10
Freud - 6/10
Reflections in a Golden Eye - 4/10
The Mackintosh Man - 4/10

Not only a great director, but a great actor as well!

In "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (which John Huston directed), he forbade his father Walter Huston from wearing the new dentures he just had fitted, because he was playing a grizzled, toothless old Prospector, and John wanted him to look more authentic in the role.

HAL