Bad Movies by Great Directors?

Tools    

Thank you for 100 replies!!!

It seems interesting how directors can make such rebounds after their biggest fail. Have not seen them all, but such examples included Inglorious Basterds after Death Proof, Budapest Hotel after Darjeeling Limited, or as said, No Country... after some of the Coen Brothers other movies. Maybe the NBC special for Elvis as well, but he is not a director.

Victim of The Night
John Carpenter: Prince of Darkness - It comes across like a rehash of Assault of Precinct 13 and The Thing and the religion vs. science theme isn't done all that interestingly. Plus, it's not very scary.
I don't like the film, personally, but I think Carpenter has done even worse.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Peter Yates, who is probably best known for the movies Bullitt (1968), The Hot Rock (1972), and Breaking Away (1979), also directed the movie Eyewitness (1981).

Somehow this movie was terrible, even with a cast that included William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, Christopher Plummer, and James Woods.

Victim of The Night
Anyone mention Argento yet??

Mother of Tears and Dracula were two recent watches for me. Ugh.
For a few years, Mother Of Tears was my benchmark for terrible. Like, "I mean, it was bad, but it wasn't Mother of Tears bad.
Then I saw The Rise Of Skywalker.

The trick is not minding
For a few years, Mother Of Tears was my benchmark for terrible. Like, "I mean, it was bad, but it wasn't Mother of Tears bad.
Then I saw The Rise Of Skywalker.
Heh. I actually like Rise of Skywalker. It’s not great or anything, but I didn’t hate it.

The truth is in here
Anyone mention Argento yet??

Mother of Tears and Dracula were two recent watches for me. Ugh.
Argento is another one I haven't seen a bad movie from yet (Partly because I haven't seen all his films in general) but I will say that The Phantom Of The Opera was quite disappointing. I was totally onboard with a crazy adaptation of the tale in his own style, but it was surprisingly average and contained a really poor lead performance from Asia.

Antonioni, "Mystery of Oberwald"

just holy **** bad
On paper I like how insular this feels, like a movie taking place inside your TV when the colour bars have gone all screwy.

The actual experience of sitting through it is definitely a challenge.

As far as bad Argento goes, The Card Player is totally lacking in anything resembling actual cinematic style.

I don't actually wear pants.
Saving Private Ryan does almost everything right. What it does wrong is all of the writing. Nothing like what's depicted in the movie, aside from storming Omaha, could ever happen. I can't watch it anymore because I know enough about World War II, which is way more than the average viewer, to pick at the nits in this movie for days on end. Even the beginning of Operation Overlord has weak writing. If Spielberg came to me and asked me to write an accurate World War II film, I wouldn't have written a single scene in common with Saving Private Ryan.

I haven't seen The Ladykillers, but pretty much everyone I know has it at the bottom of their filmography, along with Intolerable Cruelty I don't hate the latter, but it's at the bottom of my Coen ranking. But what a wonderful rebound they had with No Country for Old Men!
I really liked Intolerable Cruelty. I think it has one of George Clooney's best performances.

I really liked Intolerable Cruelty. I think it has one of George Clooney's best performances.
Yeah, I like the film, but it just pales in comparison to most of their work. It's probably around the 2.5/3 star range for me. It just happens that most of their work is 4 to 5 stars.

The trick is not minding
Popeye is great!

I'm sure it's easier to find a worse Altman.....Gingerbread Man? Pret a Portez?
Wasn’t a fan. Haven’t seen those two yet though, so they could be worse. I’m only about halfway through his filmography.

Wasn’t a fan. Haven’t seen those two yet though, so they could be worse. I’m only about halfway through his filmography.

It's exactly what one would expect when Altman makes a childrens movies. Children will hate it because it's boring and basically about taxes, and adults won't take it seriously because it is a big dumb movie about Popeye.

But as a film that is crammed full of visual ideas and a very weird kind of world building, it is a beautifully unique thing.

And I haven't seen those two movies either, I just know they are well hated. Personally, I've liked every Altman I've seen which is at least 3/4 of them.

Haven't seen Gingerbread Man since the 90s, when I didn't even know who Altman was. I remember it being "cool", but I don't remember anything about it. I wonder how it would fare now 20+ years after.

The trick is not minding
It's exactly what one would expect when Altman makes a childrens movies. Children will hate it because it's boring and basically about taxes, and adults won't take it seriously because it is a big dumb movie about Popeye.

But as a film that is crammed full of visual ideas and a very weird kind of world building, it is a beautifully unique thing.

And I haven't seen those two movies either, I just know they are well hated. Personally, I've liked every Altman I've seen which is at least 3/4 of them.
Eh, I didn’t find at particularly interesting even as a children’s film. I did enjoy Williams as Popeye, however. I’ve enjoyed almost all of Altmans films as well, which is about half, With the exception of Images, Kansas City and Popeye. The former I need to rewatch, because it was so long ago, and the latter two probably wouldn’t change much for me.