Lost in Translation

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
There's no doubting the cinematography but the story is non-existent. How this movie can even be considered a comedy is beyond me but now that my rant is over I'd like to hear the opinions of others.
i dont think it is a comedy. I think it just uses comedy to emphasise some of the other things the movie is trying to say.

i dont think it is about the story, either, which is why i believe it can get away without having a typical one. Much of what is the story, or rather the themes are coveyed using cinematography instead of story. (for instance the duality between old and new japan, as well as the disconnection between character and surrounding)

this is one of my favorite movies, and i would be happy to talk it over with everyone, so if someone disagrees with me, post your opinion by all means!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I didn't see LIT as a comedy either, just a well written & acted modern take on Brief Encounter.

I think it's excellent.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Zeiken
i dont think it is a comedy. I think it just uses comedy to emphasise some of the other things the movie is trying to say.
Spot on!

This movie was, unfortunately, packaged as a comedy. It's much more a drama, but it's hard to classify, I think, in standard genre terms. It's not really a romance, but it is a love story, not a buddy picture but has elements of that... It's a beautiful mishmash of things. I am touched, every time (and I've seen it 7 times now) by the simple line "you're not hopeless" and I always feel so great at the end. It's a wonderful film.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Zeiken

i dont think it is about the story, either, which is why i believe it can get away without having a typical one. Much of what is the story, or rather the themes are coveyed using cinematography instead of story. (for instance the duality between old and new japan, as well as the disconnection between character and surrounding)

this is one of my favorite movies, and i would be happy to talk it over with everyone, so if someone disagrees with me, post your opinion by all means!
I find it to be a jack of all trades master of none. It's just a series of moving pictures with absoluelty no point to it whatsoever imo. Even the superb vision of Tokyo wears thin after you realise that's all there is to the movie. Maybe the miniscule character observations just don't appeal to me but this movie is too much style and not enough substance.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

film making extraordinaire
Well, I think we can at least all agree that Scarlett Johannsen is incredibly hot.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by MysticalMoose
Well, I think we can at least all agree that Scarlett Johannsen is incredibly hot.
nope, i don't. i'd say charming. but not hot. tastes.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I really liked LIT, it's a slow burn type of movie, loved the central performances and thought Tokyo was as much a character of the film as Giovanni Ribisi. The cinematography was amazing, I read that they stole a lot of shots as they didn't have the proper permission. For me the film was more of a forbidden love story, Bob knows he's too old for Charlotte, and they're both married. Sometimes circumstances can bring people together that normally wouldn't, at the core , it's two lonely people looking for companionship. In a way, I'm glad they didn't end up together, it was kind of bitter-sweet rather than the normal schmoltze.
Bill Murray is a fine actor, but I think people expect every movie he's in to be a barrel of laughs. I think he should be up for Oscar Nomination next year, looks like Broken Flowers might be the one, who knows. Again he's been excellent in The Royal Tenenbaums, and from what I gather The Life Aquatic.
Come on , give Bill an Oscar.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

lost in translation is definitely an aquired taste. the movie would of definitely sucked up they slept together. the movie was jus about 2 people who were in a different country and both were in the same place in their relationships.

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
For me the film was more of a forbidden love story, Bob knows he's too old for Charlotte, and they're both married.
I disagree- and that why i love this movie so much. Even though i fell in love with scarlett instantly, (yes, from that very first shot), it wasnt about love for these people. At least, not that certain kind of love that brings a man and woman together for the rest of their lives. At times it seems more like lust, indeed a forbidden lust, but i dont think its that either. If you take a closer look at both characters, they're both suffering a sort of crisis within their lives. And both of them are expierencing it in 'Backwards-land', (japan). They manage to make a connection among all the disconnections in their lives. Yeah, we all can relate to feelin somethin like that. Oh man- beautifully done.

So Money and I Don't Even Know It!
Originally Posted by MysticalMoose

Word of wisdom

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Lost In Translation is a gorgeous film. Definitely in my top 3.

I know some people have complained about this film because not a lot happens, but I think they miss the point. It is bittersweet and quirky and fascinating, beautifully filmed. The music is excellent.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
...and Scarlett. Hubba-hubba.
Yeah, I was amazed at how attractive she could be in such a subtle and unassuming way.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I saw this one on my plane trip from Australia to America. Came across some cool stills of the film and thought I'd share:

Great film