Lost in Translation

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
Quite definitely the best movie of the last 10 years.
Pft.

Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Boogie Nights, Rushmore, The Talented Mr. Ripley and Traffic. Among others.

A novel adaptation.
Points deducted here for contextual indulgences.
The story comes off better if it wasn't such plain wish fulfillment, the Goddaughter casting Johannsen as a slightly wryer and wittier self and all while trying so painfully hard to duck the autobiographical label.
Because, let's face it, it is autobiography, only without any self-deprecation and with all the touching parts fictionalized.
I would have been much more pleased if she had openly embraced all the self-reference and ran with any homages or indulgent themes she had wanted to.
Still, with all that being said, it was a good picture. Just way too easy in subject matter and process to be collecting all the accollades it has. After all, there's still something to be said for challenging, I think.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Pft.

Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Boogie Nights, Rushmore, The Talented Mr. Ripley and Traffic. Among others.
Luckily for me, I didn't much more than just enjoy any of those.

Well, I saw and loved this movie all over again the other day. I retract, though not fully, some of the films noted on the list in my my previous post.

Lost in Translation is one of this decade's best.

I See You When You're Sleeping
As soon as I'd watched it in the cinema I ordered the R1 DVD. This is the first time I've done this. It's just one of those films you can watch frequently and come away with something different each time.

Just happened to catch this on video today for the first time and I can't argue about the originality or greatness of the film. Its different, and for me more magnetic to let the media be used instead of being led through a story like we're all zombies. It's a compliment to the moviegoers that Copolla didn't feel the need to explain every bit of the plot but instead let us experience the film. I also think that it was easy for me to grasp the perspective of both main characters which is applause for both Murray and Johannsen. After reading the point about the Cameron Diaz parody, I have to admit I was too engulfed in what the characters were feeling to put two and two together at that point. If you like to think and feel, you'll love this film...its one you can have respect for.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
From the looks of it, Bill Murray is a shoe in for the Oscar this year.

...and Scarlett. Hubba-hubba.
Before I review this fine film by Sofia Coppola, I must say that if I had been Bill Murray, there would have been no way I could've resisted a nice little roll in the sack with Scarlett before leaving Japan. Her character was literally starving for some good loving. It made you wonder what in the world was wrong with Giovanni Ribisi's character.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Edwin
Before I review this fine film by Sofia Coppola, I must say that if I had been Bill Murray, there would have been no way I could've resisted a nice little roll in the sack with Scarlett before leaving Japan. Her character was literally starving for some good loving. It made you wonder what in the world was wrong with Giovanni Ribisi's character.
Nope, definately a cold shower (with a cup of bromide tea afterwards)...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Nope, definately a cold shower (with a cup of bromide tea afterwards)...

This is just the beginning. I'm about to offer a colorful collage of what I think are the hottest babes on the Hollywood circuit today. Stay tuned.Because by the time I'm through you'll probably be telling me to stand beneath Niagra Falls for the rest of my life.
By the way, I don't believe Bill Murray would've needed a cold shower. Scarlett was right there.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Sofia Coppola makes a Godard movie.

Overrated, but at least she didn't act in the film.

Originally Posted by Edwin
This is just the beginning. I'm about to offer a colorful collage of what I think are the hottest babes on the Hollywood circuit today. Stay tuned.Because by the time I'm through you'll probably be telling me to stand beneath Niagra Falls for the rest of my life.
By the way, I don't believe Bill Murray would've needed a cold shower. Scarlett was right there.
My breath is well and truly baited.

Great movie. Everyone kept telling me that it sucked. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. I want to buy it soon.

The film isn't trying to hard being something it ain't, but still it does great.

Love the film, and that's final!

motivationally deficient
great movie, that treadmill bit had me in stitches

You’ve been hax0red
I agree, its one of the best films ive seen this year. Doesnt go over the top and bill murray is brilliant.

Sheesh I can't believe my 2 posts in this thread are berating a sore-handed kid and not praising this excellent movie.

It's an excellent movie, 'nuff said.

This movie's the bomb fo' sho'. More like a piece of music with killer transitions. I don't really know how to explain it other than I want to make sweet-sweet love to the DVD. I've already done it once.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
The movie is probably loved by all at this forum but I felt totally underwhelmed by it. I like Bill Murray but he didn't pull off the huge movie star required in the movie and Scarlet Johansson's role was massively overrated much like the movie.

There's no doubting the cinematography but the story is non-existent. How this movie can even be considered a comedy is beyond me but now that my rant is over I'd like to hear the opinions of others.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."