The Tommy Wiseau Thread

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Decided to make a thread for one of the greatest black comedy director/actor alive and the bible of horrible film and television show-making.

This will also be a fan club thread. If you want to join please request by posting.

Club Members:

- Gatsby (Club President)
- Kakarot89
- Iroquois
-
-

Welcome to the human race...
I don't exactly consider Wiseau a master of black comedy. Sure, I found The Room as hilarious as the next person, but I never bought Wiseau's claim that it was always supposed to be a comedy - to me, it seemed like he had gone and made a very sincere melodrama but when people started up the so-bad-it's-good cult around it I guess it seemed easier for him to just roll with it and go "yeah, it was on purpose".

I've seen some of his post-Room projects such as The House That Drips Blood on Alex, which did feel like a very deliberate attempt to make another so-bad-it's-good film but the lack of sincerity rendered it a failure. I know he's been trying to produce a sitcom called The Neighbours for a while now and I reckon it's going to be more of the same. The last thing I've seen him in was this web series where he is regularly abducted by an alien and made to play videogames while offering MST3K-style commentary. It was alright but not on the level of The Room. Then again, what is?

Master of My Domain
The black comedy part I wrote was sarcasm, and making fun of his claim.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
So it's funny that this was posted today, two days ago I started reading The Disaster Artist written by Greg Sestero (Mark) it's really fascinating. It gives a lot of insight into how The Room was made. Also, I see a lot of people on the internet (not just here but on YouTube and other sites too) claim House That Drips Blood was Tommy's short. He just starred in it, he had nothing to do with the writing or anything else (at least to my knowledge). I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, just simply stating.

Welcome to the human race...
I'll join the club, too, make me treasurer so I can learn how to finance a film by selling leather jackets.

Also, Kakarot, yeah, I admit I assumed he was responsible for making the film as well as appearing in it. He's not responsible for making that videogame series I mentioned either, which makes me question his self-awareness and whether or not it affects what stuff he appears in for better or for worse.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Native speakers claim it's hard to understand the guy talking. I don't have any problem with that. I guess it makes me a true fan of Wiseau.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Here's a few things I learned about Tommy from reading The Disaster Artist:

He was in two car accidents. One in France, when a friend was driving and flipped the car which fell into a lake. Another when a guy ran a red light which put Tommy in the hospital for some time.

He drove a Mercedes long before shooting The Room and also had an apartment in San Francisco and a condo in L.A.

At one point Tommy wanted his car to drive off the roof set and fly through the sky. When asked why he wanted to do this he answered, "It's just a possible side plot. Maybe Johnny is a vampire." I don't know about you guys but I think that is an awesome subplot, though like so many in The Room, I'm sure it would go nowhere.

The "hospital on Guerrero Street" line was adlibbed by Greg Sestero because Tommy kept laughing every time Greg said "she was beat up so bad she ended up in the hospital." Tommy was told numerous times by his script supervisor not to laugh because it is not a funny story but every take he kept doing the creepy laugh. There is not actually a hospital on Guerrero Street, it's the street Tommy lived on in San Francisco.

The aforementioned line actually pissed Tommy off because he didn't want Greg telling anyone about him. Honestly, it reminds me of Fight Club. The line was kept in the finished film because it was the only take Greg's audio could be understood in.

I've learned other things too but I don't think you guys really want me droning on and on about random Tommy Wiseau trivia...or do you?

Master of My Domain
His brain needs to be studied after he dies to crack the enigma of the amazing level of genius.

Oh man... I'm reading The Disaster Artist right now. I don't normally read that much, but I took a look at this after first watching this movie about a year ago and just being fascinated by the bizarreness of Tommy Wiseau. I'll go through my favourite parts in more detail when I get on my computer, but all I can say is that if you can get a copy of this book, by any means necessary read it!

Gotta love the dual film/digital camera setup there :P

Master of My Domain
Cmon guys... we can't let this thread die!

What kind of movie would you like Tommy to direct? My pick is a sci-fi one.

I would like to add to my previous post. I would love to see him direct a horror film where he is the monster/psycho killer/whatever is attacking everyone.

Master of My Domain
Never heard of Tommy Wiseau so I just checked out his IMDB page and didn't learn much...not familiar with any of his work.
Try watching his one and only masterpiece, and you'll instantly fall in love with him.

My daughter fell in love with him watching the Tommy Wi-show. After reading how he didn't know any of the lines he wrote, I'm convinced that everything he does is improv.