The Town: Alternate Ending that might've lifted the movie up somewhat:

Tools    

This is not a valid argument for the alternate ending over the theatrical one, as Doug clearly survived that shoot-out in both versions.

And this justifies murder, how? I'm not saying Doug didn't have it coming, but you seem to be all for wrong-doers being brought to justice, yet this ending doesn't fit with that ideal any more than the theatrical version did.

Also not a valid argument as I could just as easily turn that around and say of the theatrical version: "Who's to say that Doug succeeds in evading capture and is never brought to justice?"
This.

Sure, I realize that some movies aren't to my liking, but I think you've also got to make peace with the fact that I've come right out and said so, particularly in the case of The Town.
Yep, I'm okay with subjective viewer response, but your rambling self-contradictory moralizing does not make for worthwhile discussion. You've beaten this horse to the point of absurdity while ignoring any criticism from other posters who point out very obvious and simple flaws in your reasoning.

It's kind of amusing but also kind of sad.

Yep, I'm okay with subjective viewer response, but your rambling self-contradictory moralizing does not make for worthwhile discussion. You've beaten this horse to the point of absurdity while ignoring any criticism from other posters who point out very obvious and simple flaws in your reasoning.

It's kind of amusing but also kind of sad.
I don't see myself as being self-contradictory at all, Deadite. When I think of other possibilities for an ending that, imo, also would've made The Town a better film, you accuse me of being self-contradictory and too moral. Too bad, Deadite, but your attitude's a little bit amusing but nasty, imho.

It seems to me, Deadite, that you and a whole bunch of other posters here on this forum are trying to get me to change my opinions about The Town so that they tally up with yours. Well, I've got news for you: It's not going to work, because I stand by everything I've stated here about The Town.

The only problem with your argument is that it's just a movie. If everything came to pass that should, there would be no drama. You need films where the bad guys get away, and others where innocent people don't. I think it's somewhat akin to disliking E.T. just because you don't believe in spacemen.
Sure, The Town is a movie, but, imho, it's got to have a certain amount of substance, which it's woefully short on, imo, and long on style (if one can call it that with a straight face. I wouldn't call Doug & Claire's romance scenes a bit dramatic; they're very immature and underdeveloped. They're like two teens on their first romance and who're out on their first date. The script is extremely immature, and the film, along with the characters, are extremely cartoonlike and one-dimensional. The ending in the theatrical version of The Town didn't improve things one little bit, because that ending was merely a whimper. At least the Alternate Ending in The Town was more dramatic and gave the film a bit more flair, if one gets the drift.

As I've pointed out, I happen to prefer films that provide a message as well as being entertaining. I saw The Town, because I was curious, but, as I said before, I really disliked the message that the theatrical version overall conveyed to me.

I think it would be better for WSSlover's peace of mind to just accept that some movies aren't going to go the way she thinks they should.
I think it would be better for your peace of mind, Deadite, would be to just accept the fact that not everybody's going to have the same opinion(s) that you do about a given movie or movies.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Good grief. I'm starting to think this has a lot to do with a lack of comprehensive skills on your part. He just explained to you why we all disagree with you. It's not about a difference of opinion of a movie. If that were the case, this forum would erupt this way every time someone liked a movie and someone else didn't. Your position is unreasonable and your arguments aren't valid.

Good grief. I'm starting to think this has a lot to do with a lack of comprehensive skills on your part. He just explained to you why we all disagree with you. It's not about a difference of opinion of a movie. If that were the case, this forum would erupt this way every time someone liked a movie and someone else didn't. Your position is unreasonable and your arguments aren't valid.
You're not being very reasonable, either, Godoggo. The Town makes heroes and martyrs out of Doug MacRay and his band of professional armed felons who not only steal and rob innocent people for a living but who won't hesitate to seriously injure or even kill people that they think are standing in the way of getting what they want. The Town also makes Claire into a pure-hearted little princess of unattainable beauty who captivates the leading thug, and who is petted and praised as a great lass, no matter what she does, and will subsequently get away with her arrogance, stupidity and wrongdoing. That's a big reason why I resent The Town so much.

You're not being very reasonable, either, Godoggo. The Town makes heroes and martyrs out of Doug MacRay and his band of professional armed felons who not only steal and rob innocent people for a living but who won't hesitate to seriously injure or even kill people that they think are standing in the way of getting what they want. The Town also makes Claire into a pure-hearted little princess of unattainable beauty who captivates the leading thug, and who is petted and praised as a great lass, no matter what she does, and will subsequently get away with her arrogance, stupidity and wrongdoing. That's a big reason why I resent The Town so much.
Way to prove Godoggo's point.

Way to prove Godoggo's point.

You know, Miss Vicky, I couldn't care less about Godoggo's point. I don't feel that my position is unreasonable in the least. You're the ones who're being unreasonable in that you don't like that I have a different way of thinking, communicating and posting, so you're just trying to get me to change my positions to meet yours.

I stand by my points, whether you find them unreasonable or not.

Godoggo's point wasn't really that you're being unreasonable. It's that you don't seem to understand what people are telling you. And your latest post just proves that point even more.

NOBODY is trying to get you to like The Town. We welcome varied opinions. However we don't welcome arguments that are invalid and contradictory. If you're going to insist on bringing up the fact that you don't like The Town (over and over again), you need to at least give a reasoned, CONSISTENT argument for why you think it's a poorly constructed film. And with each and every post you not only fail to do that, but you make yourself look more and more foolish. I suggest you either change your tactic or drop the subject altogether.

Godoggo's point wasn't really that you're being unreasonable. It's that you don't seem to understand what people are telling you. And your latest post just proves that point even more.

NOBODY is trying to get you to like The Town. We welcome varied opinions. However we don't welcome arguments that are invalid and contradictory. If you're going to insist on bringing up the fact that you don't like The Town (over and over again), you need to at least give a reasoned, CONSISTENT argument for why you think it's a poorly constructed film. And with each and every post you not only fail to do that, but you make yourself look more and more foolish. I suggest you either change your tactic or drop the subject altogether.
You want a comprehensive argument about why I think that The Town is a poorly-made film, there's more than one reason for it, I'll do the best I can. Here it is:

In no particular order:

I'll start by saying that, imho, The Town, overall, is much more like a feature-length, made for TV soap opera than a regular movie, with very cartoon-like, 1-dimensional characters.

The Boston accents, especially on the part of Ben Affleck, are way forced, overdone and unnatural-sounding.

The cast, overall, is poor to mediocre at best.

The script, especially in the Doug/Claire romance scenes, is extremely immature.

It draws much too much on various stereotypes; the rabid, slobbering Bostonian red Sox Fans, the Thug with a heart of gold, the inept police, and the captivating, pure-of-heart, Snow White-like Princess-like bank manager of unattainable beauty and the fair damsel in distress who is protected by Doug and his men, and the dirty, slutty, slovenly ho'ish single mother who can't take care of things, as well as the notion that every family in C-Town is in the bank-robbing business.

The characters are very cartoon-like and rather one-dimensional in their nature, very underdeveloped, to boot.

The car chases/crashes and shoot-outs are way over the top and unrealistic; nobody would realistically come out of them unscathed, particularly in the North End. The car chases and car fires that are set by Doug and his men could not realistically be set without endangering nearby residences and businesses nearby.

The ending in the theatrical version of The Town was too loose and unrealistic, without enough closure. I would've preferred to see a much different ending to this film.

You want a comprehensive argument about why I think that The Town is a poorly-made film, there's more than one reason for it, I'll do the best I can. Here it is:

In no particular order:

I'll start by saying that, imho, The Town, overall, is much more like a feature-length, made for TV soap opera than a regular movie, with very cartoon-like, 1-dimensional characters.

The Boston accents, especially on the part of Ben Affleck, are way forced, overdone and unnatural-sounding.

The cast, overall, is poor to mediocre at best.

The script, especially in the Doug/Claire romance scenes, is extremely immature.

It draws much too much on various stereotypes; the rabid, slobbering Bostonian red Sox Fans, the Thug with a heart of gold, the inept police, and the captivating, pure-of-heart, Snow White-like Princess-like bank manager of unattainable beauty and the fair damsel in distress who is protected by Doug and his men, and the dirty, slutty, slovenly ho'ish single mother who can't take care of things, as well as the notion that every family in C-Town is in the bank-robbing business.

The characters are very cartoon-like and rather one-dimensional in their nature, very underdeveloped, to boot.

The car chases/crashes and shoot-outs are way over the top and unrealistic; nobody would realistically come out of them unscathed, particularly in the North End. The car chases and car fires that are set by Doug and his men could not realistically be set without endangering nearby residences and businesses nearby.

The ending in the theatrical version of The Town was too loose and unrealistic, without enough closure. I would've preferred to see a much different ending to this film.
I neg repped this post because this is just... I mean, I'm so sick of you and your hatred and OBSESSION with The Town. You won't shut up about it. Can't you do anything else? Can't you go find a husband and procreate or something? God!

No - CANCEL that request! Like the world needs more people who will grow up and talk their asses off over The Town just like their mother did. If you're really a woman, that is. Are we sure you're a woman? You sound more like a unisex bathroom door on an airplane that's fallen off and CRASHED into the floor, frightening even the five ladies in burqas seated a couple of rows in front of it. You are that unbelievable.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to this movie. I'm all for respecting people's opinions when it differs from my own or even the majority, but you have just taken this TOO FAR and NOTHING you say even makes me pause for a second on whether or not the movie sucked.

"The cast, overall, is poor and mediocre!" "They are cartoon like!" "The ending was too loose!" "The script is immature!" "The accents are forced!" "Too over the top!" "Didn't like the dirty, slutty, slovenly ho'ish single mother..."

YAP. YAP. YAP!

Were you a dog in a past life that was euthanized for being too yappy?

Get the hell out of this forum. Your kind does not belong here. There must be a dysfunctional robots forum you could join and meet new crazy people at. All of you could meet up in an apartment somewhere and watch The Town and make a lot of noise talking about it, bothering all the neighbors -- it would be fun. You need to meet other people who are nuts. I get it - I do. God bless and good luck. Stay away from the dog catcher this time. Adios!

I neg repped this post because this is just... I mean, I'm so sick of you and your hatred and OBSESSION with The Town. You won't shut up about it. Can't you do anything else? Can't you go find a husband and procreate or something? God!

No - CANCEL that request! Like the world needs more people who will grow up and talk their asses off over The Town just like their mother did. If you're really a woman, that is. Are we sure you're a woman? You sound more like a unisex bathroom door on an airplane that's fallen off and CRASHED into the floor, frightening even the five ladies in burqas seated a couple of rows in front of it. You are that unbelievable.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to this movie. I'm all for respecting people's opinions when it differs from my own or even the majority, but you have just taken this TOO FAR and NOTHING you say even makes me pause for a second on whether or not the movie sucked.

"The cast, overall, is poor and mediocre!" "They are cartoon like!" "The ending was too loose!" "The script is immature!" "The accents are forced!" "Too over the top!" "Didn't like the dirty, slutty, slovenly ho'ish single mother..."

YAP. YAP. YAP!

Get the hell out of this forum. Your kind does not belong here. There must be a dysfunctional robots forum you could join and meet new crazy people at. All of you could meet up in an apartment somewhere and watch The Town and make a lot of noise talking about it, bothering all the neighbors -- it would be fun. You need to meet other people who are nuts. I get it - I do. God bless and good luck. Stay away from the dog catcher this time. Adios!
Ha ha ha! Your latest post to me is a perfect description of yourself, Sexy Celebrity. Nice projection of your own shortcomings onto other people!

Btw, I am a woman, so keep your sexism to yourself.

YAP. YAP. YAP!

Ha ha ha! Your latest post to me is a perfect description of yourself, Sexy Celebrity. Nice projection of your own shortcomings onto other people!

Btw, I am a woman, so keep your sexism to yourself.

I also might add, Sexy Celebrity, that I had far more sympathy for Krista (the slatternly sister of "Jem") than I did for Claire Keesey, the princess-like bank manager, who should've known better than to take up with, stick with and to abet a known armed felon (Doug MacRay) in the first place. Had Claire Keesey not been so naive, or willfully ignorant, Doug would've gone to jail instead of either running away or meeting his death in the end.