The Town: A Stupid, Overrated, Crappy Movie:

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Hey look, Yoda! It seems to me that no matter what I do or don't do, you'll never be satisfied, because I won't do what you really want me to do; alter my whole opinion of The Town just to please you and most other people. That being said, here's a suggestion: Let's agree to disagree, since we'll never, ever see eye to eye on this film.
I think it would be more accurate to say you are having trouble with grasping how logic works.

its amusing i have to admit.

I think it would be more accurate to say you are having trouble with grasping how logic works.

its amusing i have to admit.
Speak for yourself, DexterRiley.

This to me sounds ridiculous and contradicts your feelings on the subject of Claire being used and turning into a criminal herself.

Why should she turn over the money anonymously when she's been working with the police to capture Doug?

And why are you even entertaining the thought of her doing more honorable ways to fund the renovation of the rink? She should restore the rink for Doug even though he scared the hell out of her when he robbed her and then he started dating her?

Do you even know what you really want this poor woman to do??
Here's an idea: Claire should've had the good, common sense not to take up with Doug MacRay and fall for his deceitful behavior and his lies in the first place. She should've been able to at least pick up hints that the guy was a shady, no-good lout, to begin with.

Here's an idea: Claire should've had the good, common sense not to take up with Doug MacRay and fall for his deceitful behavior and his lies in the first place. She should've been able to at least pick up hints that the guy was a shady, no-good lout, to begin with.

Well, I don't vividly remember everything about the movie, so what were the clues she should have picked up on?

Besides that, there is the fact that he's... physically... Ben Affleck. And sometimes when someone is physically Ben Affleck, but also happens to be a bank robber, you look past that. Maybe she had been dating a slew of ugly guys who treated her much worse. Maybe she was growing tired of her ride-on vibrator. I don't know. Life happens. You think people don't ever fall for the right wrong guy? You think these kinds of situations shouldn't happen in movies?

Shoulda woulda coulda.

do you know what deceitful means?

Movie Forums Insomniac
End it. Dear God, just end it.

Well, I don't vividly remember everything about the movie, so what were the clues she should have picked up on?

Besides that, there is the fact that he's... physically... Ben Affleck. And sometimes when someone is physically Ben Affleck, but also happens to be a bank robber, you look past that. Maybe she had been dating a slew of ugly guys who treated her much worse. Maybe she was growing tired of her ride-on vibrator. I don't know. Life happens. You think people don't ever fall for the right wrong guy? You think these kinds of situations shouldn't happen in movies?
Come on now....Claire was an educated woman who made a decent salary as a bank manager, and owned an expensive condo in the gentrified part of Charlestown. Why she's so interested in a guy like Doug MacRay, who has nothing going for him in the way of skills, let alone education and is an armed career criminal on the lam from the law almost defies belief.

While people do fall for the wrong guys in real life, it wasn't simply that Doug was the wrong guy for Claire. He was an armed robber and wanted fugitive, and the fact that he purchased Claire an expensive diamond necklace should've also provided a clue for Claire as to what he was really up to, since working men don't generally make the kind of money that affords them the ability to purchase something so super-expensive as a diamond necklace for a woman in his life.

This:

The romance aspect was the heart of the source material
is a huge part of the rub, DexterRiley, and a big part of why I disliked this film so much, as well as the book on which it was based.

Alright. Fine. We get that you don't like the movie. But I say that you can't dictate what Claire should have done in it. She's her own separate person, different than you. If she makes mistakes, that's her problem. If you think that's a problem with the film, that's your opinion.

This:

is a huge part of the rub, DexterRiley, and a big part of why I disliked this film so much, as well as the book on which it was based.

so you read the book, which u hated, and then you went to see the movie?

who does that? what for..im not getten that at all.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
She lives where it takes place, plus she's apparently trying to scope out new flicks to hate, like The Outlaw Josey Wales.

I didn't know it was a book. I'll have to check that out sometime.

Oh, you know she probably has a cardboard cutout of Ben Affleck standing right beside her bed. She probably has rare The Town bath salts which she pours into her tub every night after lighting machine gun scented The Town candles. She sleeps in a black t-shirt with the movie poster printed on it. A machine by her bed plays dialogue from the film to help her fall asleep. She wakes up and gets her The Town coffee mug out. She has a waffle maker that presses an image of the nun face from The Town into her breakfast waffles. Her car says The Town in big letters on both sides. She works for a bank and is hoping to get robbed real soon. You know she probably goes all out.

She lives where it takes place, plus she's apparently trying to scope out new flicks to hate, like The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Cant be haten on Josey. Thats unAmerican.

do you know what deceitful means?
What kind of a stupid question is that, DexterRiley? Hmmm?

Or are you just being snarky?

deceitful means having the tendency to constantly deceive people. So, yes, it's justifiable to say that Doug MacRay acted deceitfully towards Claire. Doug MacRay deceived Claire by pretending to be an upstanding, decent, law-abiding citizen, when, in fact, he was a professional career criminal; an armed robber who was being hunted down by the law for a damned good reason. Any guy who'd pull this sort of stunt with a woman isn't worth s**t, imho.

What's equally, if not more unfortunate is that Claire was either naive enough or willfully stupid enough to rise to the bait.

Nope. FYI, I saw the movie first, and then read the book.

His question applies equally well even if you switch the order in which you did those things.

It's clear this, er, "discussion" has run its course, since you've decided to engage in little snipefests rather than address any of the highly conspicuous questions that have been posed to you. Normally I'd just wash my hands of this, as I did last month, but you keep artificially reviving the thread and arguing pedantic non-sequiturs. So it's time to clean up this train wreck.

Just so it's clear, we get that you hate The Town. That's fine. The problem is, your reasons for hating it contradict one another and seem to be based on a really tortured reading of its events. When asked about this, your only response seems to be that you still really hate The Town. I guess that's fine as a statement, but it's not really a discussion, see? And that's a problem, seeing as how this is supposed to be a discussion. Since it clearly isn't, and probably won't ever be, I'm closing this thread.

I hope, if you choose to attempt another discussion at some point, you'll be a little more responsive to other people's thoughts and questions. Discussions aren't really worth having without that.