Heyyyyyy!! Guess what, everybody?!

Tools    

The Coolidge Corner Theatre is celebrating its 75th Anniversary this year by screening one big Oscar-winning film classic from each decade from the 1930's through the present, per month, which already started with a double feature of the Marx Bros. Duck Soup and Gold Digger, and will continue through July 2009, and are being screened on Monday nights. They were voted in, Election Day-style, by a ballot box and card, or onlne, and Coolidge Corner patrons (including myself) voted by checking off their favorite movie(s) from each of the decades from the 1930's to the present. One could vote either online, or by the ballot and ballot box, but not both. They will begin on Monday nights, at 7 p. m .

Here is the list:

!) Dec. 15th, 2008 (already done) 1930's: Duck Soup & Gold Digger. (Double Feature)

2) Jan. 12, 2009: 1940's: Third Man

3) Feb. 23rd, 2009: 1950's: An American in Paris

4) March 16th, 2009: 1960's: West Side Story (yay!!)

5) April 20th, 2009--1970's: Annie Hall

6) May 2009 (I forget the exact date): 1980's: Cinema Paradiso

7) June 2009 (also forgotten the exact date) 1990's: Pulp Fiction

8) July 13th, 2009: 2000's: The Departed

Not only are they showing a whole bunch of winners here, but I believe that this may or may not be the start of a trend back to seeing good, older classics in good movie palaces. I sure hope that's the case. I intend to see Cinema Paradiso and Pulp Fiction, neither of which I've seen, but I won't be around town for Annie Hall. I figure I'm not missing anything, because I've never particularly liked Woody Allen, anyway. As for The Departed, I might make another go at that one, too. Of course, I've already bought my ticket for the screening of my alltime favorite movie, West Side Story, which I'm looking forward to in a big way. It's exciting and elating to know that West Side Story, my alltime favorite film, was voted in as the number one film of the 1960's by patrons of the Coolidge Corner Theatre, including myself! So, that makes anticipation of that wonderful evening even more wonderful...and deeper for me.

Pardon my rambling, folks.

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent news!

I am definitely going to head over for the January showing of The Third Man, which is an amazing flick. I've just seen it once, and I am excited to see it on the silver screen over at the Coolidge.

I will pencil it in for the 12th!

I live in Marlborough, so it's just but a short trip to the theater.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
That sounds awesome shame im in UK and un able to attend.

sounds great! but yeh me too, am stuck in London at the mo

Film On, thats what i say!

Yeah, there are just a few of us MoFo's that could realistically attend these events. Myself, WestSide, LTIZZY, Monkeypunch, Piledriver... I think that is about it!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
sounds great! but yeh me too, am stuck in London at the mo
Stuck in London? But there are dozens of cinemas in London, showing a range of old films, foreign films, independent films, film festivals etc. Pity those of us who live out in the sticks where there's been nothing on at the local flicks but Mamma Mia or The Dark Knight for half the year...

Here are a couple pictures of the theater we are talking about, which is wonderfully retro, inside and out... You feel as if you have gone back in time when you go inside!

Excellent news!

I am definitely going to head over for the January showing of The Third Man, which is an amazing flick. I've just seen it once, and I am excited to see it on the silver screen over at the Coolidge.

I will pencil it in for the 12th!

I live in Marlborough, so it's just but a short trip to the theater.
I'm going to the screening of West Side Story, on March 16th, 2009. I've already penciled that in on my calender, in addition to buying my ticket. Since I live in Somerville, where there's good public transportation, I'll be able to get there no matter what kind of weather we've got, plus it's a short trip to Coolidge Corner Theatre for me, too.

I've never seen Third Man, btw. What's it about? Just curious.

Yeah, there are just a few of us MoFo's that could realistically attend these events. Myself, WestSide, LTIZZY, Monkeypunch, Piledriver... I think that is about it!
Me too!!

Here are a couple pictures of the theater we are talking about, which is wonderfully retro, inside and out... You feel as if you have gone back in time when you go inside!

Hey, Sedai....Thanks for these great pictures of the Coolidge Corner Theatre!! Love 'em!! I also agree with everything you've said about this great theatre, to which I hold an annual membership, which enables one to get into (most) movies on a discount.

Btw, I also saw The Gremlins at the Coolidge Theatre the other night, which I'd never seen. It, too was a cool film, and I'd also seen Milk at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, on this past Thanksgiving night, after attending a delicious Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends.

I might go to see Slumdog Millionaire at the Coolidge Corner Theatre with my family tonight, but I'm not sure.

I really want to see Slumdog Millionaire!

Tell me more about this annual membership...
Sedia!!!!

Oh, I fell in love with Slumdog Millionaire.
My rating:

Watch this movie if you haven't seen it, it is sooo good!!!

I really want to see Slumdog Millionaire!

Tell me more about this annual membership...
The Annual Coolidge Corner Theatre membership that I hold enables me to get into most movies at a three-dollar discount, and to get in free for "members only" events, or for some other special events. What I have is called an "Actor" membership, which is less than $70.00 a year. To get what's called a "Gold" membership, which enables one to get oneself and a guest into the movies at the Coolidge at a discount costs much, much more than I wish to spend, so I leave my membership the way it is. At any rate, having a membership is well worth it.

Btw, something came up, and, although we, as a family, including my middle nephew, who was visiting from the midwest for afew days, all had a delicious home-cooked dinner courtesy of my sister in law, we ended up not going to the movie as planned. But who knows...we'll see what happens.

Were is this theater?
Boston, Massachusetts. Well, Cambridge, more specifically.

I've been there. Saw a couple flicks there, CopLand, for one (the first one, actually). My former girlfriend was a graduate student at Harvard, so we used to go there as well as other theaters in town to catch movies. This was like Fall of 1996 through the Spring of 1998.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Boston, Massachusetts. Well, Cambridge, more specifically.

I've been there. Saw a couple flicks there, CopLand, for one (the first one, actually). My former girlfriend was a graduate student at Harvard, so we used to go there as well as other theaters in town to catch movies. This was like Fall of 1996 through the Spring of 1998.
Nope: The Coolidge Corner Theatre is in Brookline, MA, which is also just outside Boston.

Sedia!!!!

Oh, I fell in love with Slumdog Millionaire.
My rating:

Watch this movie if you haven't seen it, it is sooo good!!!
I will check it out!

BTW - It's Sedai, and not Sedia. Pronounced SAID-EYE.

I will check it out!

BTW - It's Sedai, and not Sedia. Pronounced SAID-EYE.
Thanks for the heads up on the pronunciation of your name, Sedai.

My family and I took in yesterday afternoon's screening of the film Slumdog Millionaire, at the Coolidge Corner Theatre. It's a wonderfully well-done film, but it hit us like a ton or two of bricks, if one gets the drift.