Joss Whedon

Tools    

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I'm just wondering why so many people seem to love Joss Whedon? I have seen two things by the guy that I enjoyed but I haven't really enjoyed anything else. It seems most people like the stuff he wrote or produced but I just don't really see his appeal. Can someone please explain this to me?

He writes clever dialogue, is good with plotting, and specializes in subverting expectations and High Concepts, both of which are the kinds of things that attract very savvy, proselytizing consumers of entertainment.

He definitely has his flaws. He lets the point he's trying to make occasionally overwhelm narrative coherence, and he can sometimes be too clever for his own good. And his shows are pretty uneven, in that while the highs are dizzyingly high, the lows can be pretty cringeworthy (see: everything in the first season of Buffy other than the series' opening scene). But there's a lot more good than bad.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I have to disagree with you on EVERYTHING in the first season of Buffy. While yes it is a low point of the series, the scene in which she quits because she doesn't want to die is some powerful stuff.

Anyways, I love Buffy, Angel and Firefly. Haven't really gotten into Dollhouse yet. Love Serenity, Avengers and Cabin in the Woods. So you can say I am a fan.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
I adored Dollhouse, and only wish they could have run it out longer, slowly rervealing the stuff they had to cram into the last few episodes. Amazing show - F you Fox.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Whedon is a man that's had it rough (wrote Alien Resurrection and claims they did everything wrong with his script, the beloved Firefy got cancelled) but he's overcome that and always makes his movies and shows with quirk and creativity. He's very unique and has an ever evolving style, plus Serenity is my favourite movie...so that counts for something.

Joss Whedon, you are shiny.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I don't like how he's getting into the habit of killing off secondary characters, but he's a solid writer/director. I like how his work always has his brand of humor injected and his efforts to make his characters as real as possible, even in the unrealistic universes he mainly sets his stories in. The Avengers was a good, entertaining film and I really like Firefly and Serenity.

He is very solid - indeed high concept writing (I just watched cabin in the woods this past weekend). It says something about the filmmaker when no matter what the movie is about, I feel I owe it to myself to go see what he has made.