Trailer Trash

Tools    

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
Is it just my imagination or have trailers kinda become really bad lately? I remember a trailer was meant to entice you to see the movie but now it's like they give away important plot points and you really have no need to see the movie. I'm not saying that every trailer does this but it sure seems to become more frequent. I don't remember what trailer I saw recently but it actually showed the main character dying right before the title card was shown. It also seems to be that way with comedies lately, they show all the good jokes but the actual movie is terrible. Another complaint I have is horror trailers. I feel more terrified watching the Paranormal Activity trailers than I have ever felt watching the films. So MOFOs what are some of your thoughts on recent trailers.

You should have seen the trailers from the old days.

Not only did they have dodgy voiceover work... but absolutely everything relevent to the story and plot was given in the trailer, and I mean everything.

WARNING: "Die Hard and Ghost Busters... for anyone who hasn't seen them yet" spoilers below

A Die Hard trailer I saw in particular, had the scene where Rickman is dropped from the window at the end and even showed Willis getting out of the 4 way hostage situation between him, his wife and the two antagonists by taping a gun to his back.
So going into the film, you know exactly what happens to the lead antagonists... lol!

Ghost Busters was the same... it shows the building exploding at the end and shows Sigourney Weaver all possessed and stuff... talk about spoiler alert!

But yeah, modern trailers are a product of modern films... modern films are pants so the only good stuff they actually have to put in the trailers are, sadly, any good bits the film actually has.

If they didn't use all the good bits from the film, nobody would go see the movie.

I don't remember what trailer I saw recently but it actually showed the main character dying right before the title card was shown.
That seems a bit off in a trailer. Have you actually seen the film itself, it could have been a red herring type element to the trailer and he doesn't die for some reason/comes back/turns out it was a fake death/it's not actually a spoiler and doesn't matter if you know they die and so on.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
@The Rodent Yeah, I know older trailers were guilty of this too but it seems to be happening a lot more and I think it needs to stop. I think Amityville Horror did the same thing and it had the cheesy voice over work too. It also stated the title fifty billion times to remind us of what we were watching.

@Nausicaa I did see the film, it was some movie I rented for my family and the trailer was in the special features. I just don't remember what film it was, must have been really mediocre or rather boring for me not to remember the film at all, but oh well.

If you ever saw the Deer Hunter trailer, you basically don't need to see the movie.