Films about history and/or historical events:

Tools    

Make sure you get the 'Asian cut' of Red Cliffs. It's about 4 hours, split into two parts. As opposed to the cut that was released here (in the UK) which was a 2 and a half hours cut combining both halves.

I enjoy period films that remain both true to the period but maintain an audiences interest...

Some my favourites include:

That's just some of them...

Jay
On Screen

How about story about Achiles at Troy?

It says a lot that so many are war movies.

One in particular still makes me ponder years and years after I first saw it. Mel Gibson, before he became a hit here in The Colonies. Gallipoli. The third wave of soldiers are preparing to go over the top of the trench to charge the machine guns. They're removing their bayonets (they know they'll never get close enough to need them) and are using them to pin goodbye notes to their families and other loved ones to the sandbags.

You have to be asking yourself, why are these men determined to make this charge. The first two waves were massacred, most not even making it over the top of the trench. What sense of duty to their country or their fellow soldiers could be motivate them to do this.

Whether or not the movie sticks close to the facts, it makes you think about very troubling questions that are valid regardless.