The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Just had a look at the IMDb listing for Judgment at Nuremberg and it's listed as being 2 hours, 59 mins. Is this accurate or is there a shorter version?

It seems to be the only movie on my list that is in violation of the restriction (which I did not waive) and I've already spent a few bucks to watch it so I'm not going to ask for a replacement nom if it really is 3 hours. However, I hope that people will pay more attention to these things in the future.

The trick is not minding
Just had a look at the IMDb listing for Judgment at Nuremberg and it's listed as being 2 hours, 59 mins. Is this accurate or is there a shorter version?

It seems to be the only movie on my list that is in violation of the restriction (which I did not waive) and I've already spent a few bucks to watch it so I'm not going to ask for a replacement nom if it really is 3 hours. However, I hope that people will pay more attention to these things in the future.
That is the The correct running time.
I was the opposite, I forgot to waive my running time and I fear it may have detracted some from recommending some longer films.

Sorry about that. I've seen it and it still didn't occur to me.

Sorry about that. I've seen it and it still didn't occur to me.
No worries. With so many movies being nominated and so many people choosing to waive the restriction, I assumed it just slipped past you.

Being that long won't necessarily hurt its rating if I like it, but if I don't it could mean the difference between dislike and hate. Not sure when I'll get to it anyway. My job is "essential" so I'm still working 40+ hours a week.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Well, it's in keeping with how your HOF nominations usually do for me.

I just hope that the trend stays true with my nominations for you. Whereas I'm very difficult to please, you seem to like most things, so I should be pretty safe. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you think of the movie I picked for you.
LOL
I was kinda thinking the same thing when I chose it. I may hit gold, or - - - my record for misses remain UNTARNISHED
On the plus side, at least it wasn't a complete chore for ya, so, I got that going for me

I've wondered which nom was yours. Nothing actually popped out that made think, that's the one she chose for me, going by our past HoFs: if you nominate it, I'll pretty much like it.
Which does make it even more interesting.

I've wondered which nom was yours. Nothing actually popped out that made think, that's the one she chose for me.
Really? I thought it was pretty obvious.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven, 1997)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/19/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame, I think it may have been nominated by John-Connor
Rewatch: No.

Although this is not a movie that I think I ever would have chosen on my own, I can understand why someone would pick this for me. With films like Army of Darkness, The Fifth Element, and Verhoeven's own cheese-fest Showgirls in my top 100, it makes sense that someone would think that I'd like this as well.

Unfortunately it didn't quite hit the mark, though it gave one hell of a shot at it. Almost all of the necessary elements are there - the ridiculous premise, the over-the-top acting, the ridiculous effects - but it lacks a certain something: It lacks a memorable central character and it lacks memorable lines. There's no equivalent to Bruce Campbell's Ash or to Bruce Willis's Korben Dallas (or Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod). And while Showgirls doesn't have the most interesting characters, there's something inherently amusing about people trying and failing to be sexy and it does at least have stupidly quotable lines like "everybody's got AIDS and sh**." All that said, I do understand that this is intended to be satire but the humor just didn't land for me and I appreciated the effort but was ultimately a bit underwhelmed by it.

+
I agree that the characters are unmemorable , but disagree wholeheartedly about it not having memorable lines.

"Come on you apes! You want to live forever?"

"'m from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!"

"They sucked his brains out."

"The only good bug...is a dead bug!"

"Do you want to know more?"

Granted, I expected that last line to get on your nerves.

I also think the bug effects look terrific, with the exception of the brain bug at the end.

Suspect's Reviews

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious.
My guess for ed would be A Town Called Panic, but not too sure myself...

The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/24/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame, I'm guessing Captain Spaulding? Even though I guessed him for Drive
Rewatch: No.

I'm not even sure what to say about this truly bizarre film. It definitely falls into that category of things I don't usually watch. It had a premise that was at once very original and really stupid. It was funny, but more in a WTF kind of way than a laugh out loud kind of way. It was creepy, but more in a gross out kind of way than a chills up the spine kind of way. It had effects that were at once impressive but also cheesy and dated. It had a mulleted Jeff Goldblum trying to be simultaneously nerdy and sexy while also failing but weirdly also almost succeeding at both? ...What? I don't even know what I'm saying here.

What I can say with absolute certainty though is that at no point in the movie was I ever bored by it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I genuinely enjoyed it, I was much too conflicted for that, but I do think it has the potential to really grow on me if I ever watch it again. Considering that this is a Sci-Fi Horror movie, I'd say that's pretty high praise coming from me.

-

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Vertigo (1958)
My guess: edarsenal
+
Vertigo is one of the few films that can honestly claim the title of "best film ever".

And it wasn't ed who picked it

Nice to see a good rating for a true masterpiece from Miss Vicky as she retakes the lead with 8 movies watched.
I just noticed that there's another Cronenberg film on my list of nominations and it'll probably be the one I watch next. Hopefully it'll have a positive result as well.

The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986)

I'm not even sure what to say about this truly bizarre film. It definitely falls into that category of things I don't usually watch. It had a premise that was at once very original and really stupid. It was funny, but more in a WTF kind of way than a laugh out loud kind of way. It was creepy, but more in a gross out kind of way than a chills up the spine kind of way. It had effects that were at once impressive but also cheesy and dated. It had a mulleted Jeff Goldblum trying to be simultaneously nerdy and sexy while also failing but weirdly also almost succeeding at both? ...What? I don't even know what I'm saying here.

What I can say with absolute certainty though is that at no point in the movie was I ever bored by it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I genuinely enjoyed it, I was much too conflicted for that, but I do think it has the potential to really grow on me if I ever watch it again. Considering that this is a Sci-Fi Horror movie, I'd say that's pretty high praise coming from me.

-
Cool...I thought you might like that one. I always thought of The Fly as a love story. For me it's the relationship between the two leads that I like most of all, and it's the sad ending that makes the film so memorably to me.

The Long Goodbye
(1973)

The Long Goodbye is a film about private investigator Philip Marlowe, who gets in trouble after helping out a friend. Elliot Gould’s performance of Philip Marlowe carried this film. He manages to make the character seem as someone who is cool...He achieves this by playing Philip Marlowe as someone who stays confident enough to joke in situations where you’d expect him to be scared. The supporting performances were good too, especially Sterling Hayden's, who played the role of the alcoholic writer Roger Wade convincingly.

It's official I need to see this one! I did not know it had one of my favorite actors in it, Sterling Hayden, so that's another reason for me to watch it.

Babel (2006)
I loved every minute of this, and I do tend to enjoy movies that feature interconnected storylines.
I sometimes struggle with interconnected storylines, it depends on how they're edited. I seen this after it came out and didn't like it. I don't remember why though.

The Thing (1982)
My guess: Siddon, he's the first person I think of obviously lol

+
Yeah I'd be surprised if Siddon didn't nominate it for you. I believe I rated this the same as you. I liked the film overall but thought Carpenter blew it by doing close-up shots of the Thing which made it look cheesy and fake. The thing creature works best when we can't really get a long, clear look at it.

...it's the sad ending that makes the film so memorably to me.
The ending was the one part that I found actually laugh out loud funny.

Vertigo is one of the few films that can honestly claim the title of "best film ever".

And it wasn't ed who picked it
oh thank you for the pick!!! it's gonna help your placement when we do the final reveal for sure

Dial M for Murder
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

A husband wants to murder his cheating wife because she's a cheating wife and she's rich so he concots "the perfect murder." At least he thinks it's the perfect murder. Of course when planning the perfect murder you never plan for the unexpected, like your wife killing the dude you hired to murder her. Well, that's exactly what happens in Dial M for Murder.

The interesting thing with Dial M is that Hitchcock tells you exactly what's going to happen then says to the audience "enjoy the ride." And it's a good ride. The fact that nothing goes as planned should doom the entire plot but that's when things get interesting. The husband did such a good job of setting everything up that even though it all went haywire he still stands to get away with it. All he has to do is...walk away.

Dial M is based on a play and you can tell. The majority of the movie takes place in one room. I enjoy these kinds of movies because when they're done well they can really showcase strong writing and good acting. This has both. I would say the weakest performance is Grace Kelly but honestly, who cares, she's not that bad and it's Grace Kelly. And it may not even be Graces fault. A lot of it has to do with the character just being one of those 1950's type of women that are kind of, I don't know, soft?

There are a few things that bothered me, mostly regarding police procedure. For example, there's no way would I let a cop just cruise over to my desk and start flipping through bank statements. Nope. Not happening. Also, one of the biggest keys to the movie kept reminding me of the line from Dr. Strangelove where Col. Bat Guano says to Mandrake "You don't think I'd go into battle with loose change in my pockets, do ya?" Hopefully that makes sense to anyone who has seen this. Aside from that I enjoyed Dial M. Not as much as Rear Window, Psycho or Strangers on a Train but more than Vertigo and N by NW

Just received Mary and Max and Pink Flamingos. Think I'll tell the Boss that Pink Flamingos is a family film and see how that goes. Maybe order a bucket of chicken or some haggis to chow down on while we watch it. If I don't have a review up in the next day or two it went bad.

I sometimes struggle with interconnected storylines, it depends on how they're edited. I seen this after it came out and didn't like it. I don't remember why though.
Good to know, since I was already thinking of nominating it for you if we do this again.

Nice to see Fredrick enjoyed my second favorite Hitchcock after Rebecca. Does that mean I nominated it? I don't recall.