Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Nice and quick, that's how I like my silent movies. It would be neat to have been around when this first came out just to see the reaction to all the fx. I imagine it blew people away.

Another short one (50 min.) Ozsploitation about woman whose car breaks down and is stalked by a backwoods guy who has a cabin full of hungry rats. This was apparently banned in Oz so knowing that you wondered how far were they willing to go with stuff (why are you showing me cats in cages in a cabin full of hungry rats?) which kind of added to the tension.
WARNING: spoilers below
It doesn't do anything like Men Behind the Sun but it felt like it might - nothing happens to the cats
No talking in this at all - just grunting and screaming. You always feel like something terrible is about to happen. Has a few cliches and the lead actress does a few silly things but you take the good with the bad with these movies.

Legend in my own mind

Unforgiven (1992)

Overall, I found it complex and raw, yet it could be so much more. (unintentional rhyming)

Leprechaun in the Hood
(Rob Spera, 2000)

Given the Lep's affinity for rhymes, it was only a matter of time until he found himself embroiled in the rap game. His venture into the hood starts promisingly with a one-on-one battle against Ice-T, who sports disco-era bell-bottoms, platform shoes and a Foxy Brown-style afro, from which Ice-T first retrieves a switchblade, then a full-on baseball bat in the film's biggest laugh. Unfortunately, the movie peaks with that opening scene. Instead of Leprechaun: Blaxploitation Edition, the hypothetical version I'd hoped to watch, we get what feels like the nineteenth sequel to Friday, a lazy comedy about three aspiring rappers and their misadventures with a magical flute. As some rapper probably once said, "Dis sh*t whack!"

The leprechaun's skin is a noticeably darker hue than in previous installments. He's also surprisingly horny, as he keeps a brothel of "zombie hoes" and slips beneath the sheets with a trans woman. (I'm still unsure if the woman's come-on about the leprechaun being "just the right size" is meant to imply that she's into little people or little children.) Leprechaun in the Hood abounds in stereotypes associated with its setting. This means our Satanic imp develops a taste for the Devil's lettuce. ("A friend with weed is a friend indeed!") In a rare moment of cleverness for this horrible script, four-leaf clovers (the leprechaun's original weakness, which hasn't been referenced again in any of the sequels) is rolled into a blunt.

Warwick Davis, sporting bling and quoting Martin Luther King, seems comfortable prowling this new urban environment, but either his screen time is the shortest yet or I felt his absences more than any previous entry. Ice-T, who carries himself like a seasoned thespian compared to the rest of the cast, also takes a backseat to our insufferable trio of protagonists. Pacing is non-existent. Attempts at humor are mostly cringeworthy and insulting. Cross-dressing has suddenly turned into a recurring theme. The kills mostly consist of people being choked or shot instead of magically disposed. Hopefully the Lep's trip Back 2 tha Hood is a step up from this piece of sh*t, as this is the first entry in the franchise that I haven’t enjoyed to at least some extent.

Best Kill: Afro Pick to the Neck

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Long Time Coming: A 1955 Baseball Story (Jon Strong, 2019)
6.5/10
Same Kind of Different as Me (Michael Carney, 2017)
6/10
Level 16 (Danishka Esterhazy, 2018)
- 5/10
Line of Duty (Steven C. Miller, 2019)
6/10

Preposterous, yes. Boring, no.
Our Time (Peter Hyams, 1974)
7/10
Sid & Judy (Stephen Kijak, 2019)
6.5/10
Everybody's Everything (Sebastian Jones & Ramez Silyan, 2019)
6/10
Jurassic Galaxy (James Kondelik & Jon Kondelik, 2019)
+ 3.5/10

Preposterous, yes. Boring, yes.
Operation Odessa (Tiller Russell, 2018)
+ 6.5/10
Hungry Soul, Part II (Yûzô Kawashima, 1956)
6/10
Women of Troy (Alison Ellwood, 2020)
6.5/10
The Snowdrop Festival AKA Slavnosti snezenek (Jirí Menzel, 1984)
6/10

In a small village booze will give you sleep whether you're supposed to be working or not.
Elephant Kingdom (Taweelap Srivuthivong & Melanie Simka, 2016)
5/10
Our Daily Bread AKA Uski Roti (Mani Kaul, 1970)
5.5/10
The Darkness (Greg McLean, 2016)
5/10
The Third Part of the Night (Andrzej Zulawski, 1971)
7/10

A full-fledged nightmare a la Kafka or the Book of Revelation.
Child of Divorce (Richard O. Fleischer, 1946)
5.5/10
Spymate (Robert Vince, 2003)
5/10
'C'-Man (Joseph Lerner, 1949)
5.5/10
The Secret Life of Words (Isabel Coixet, 2005)
+ 6.5/10

Intensity in quiet by two extremely damaged people (Sarah Polley and Tim Robbins).

Midway (2019)

A good movie about the events leading from pearl harbour up to the battle of midway, I give it credit just for covering so much ground.. exceptional cast including the Japanese actors and Ed Skrein in his breakout role (Hollywood sure do love us Brits). Visually there is too much of what I can only describe as a glossy sheen to the whole thing which was to be expected and I was able to get past for the most part. none of the flying looked as real as Tom Hardy flying the spitfire in Dunkirk but that was one plane, it was minimal for a reason, this movies does not do minimal, it is what it is, I thought it wasn't half bad for a Roland Emmerich WWII movie.

+
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The Breakfast Club -

Probably the only good John Hughes movie
Because Home Alone doesn't count? I get it

Welcome to the human race...
Only counting his directorial works, of course - and even then, I still don't think I'd rate Home Alone that highly.

Have you seen the first season of Altered Carbon? You might really enjoy one of the primary characters Poe (an AI modeled after Edgar Allan Poe). Plus they dive into AI briefly in other ways as well, even though the point of the show isn't AI specifically. I say the first season, because it's the one I've seen in its entirety, and it was meant to stand alone as a story.
I haven't, but I have heard about it before and I think I might like it. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll definitely try watching an episode to see what I think of it!

WARNING: "her" spoilers below
I wanted to mention this section of the movie separately, because to me it was both a major impact on the main character and I believe the audience.

I found myself feeling his angst about this in a very real way; this was a brilliant part of the film. In love stories, we're led into a path that we can relate to, or at the very least long for. When suddenly that path landed in completely unknown territory (she's in love with hundreds of other people and can somehow do that without a lessening of any one of them), I was left feeling floating between "ok with it" and "totally not ok".

I was trying to figure out if I could handle it myself. The answer was a "no" within a nanosecond. I felt the main character's love for her, and then his sudden feeling of ....... almost betrayal? Was it betrayal? What category do I put it in? It was an unusual place to be.

I prefer "happy" movie endings, but I'm impressed with where this one brought me emotionally.
I think you worded it very nicely. It's very understandable from the point of the main character that he would be in the "totally not ok" group, but on the other hand, the Operating System is just something that was created by other people and in my opinion, it wouldn't be capable of being in love anyway. It would just say and do things based on a predetermined goal e.g. get as close as possible to your human. That doesn't mean that a human can't fall in love with the way the Operating Sytems behaves, but would the fact that the Operating System talks with more people change anything about that? I'm not sure...

Body Heat (1981, Lawrence Kasdan)

A super sultry, sexed-up reimagining of a classic noir plot for '80s audiences. The story is engaging (especially if you're new to the premise), the twists are pretty good, Kathleen Turner is hot, but those who have seen the likes of Double Indemnity might find Body Heat rather predictable and will be looking for other aspects that make this particular spin on the archetypal 'femme fatale/honey-trap' tale stand out. Personally I found Kasdan's take a bit on the plodding side, plus I thought the lead characters could've used some more depth, but overall it's still a very good film.

Account terminated on request
I haven't, but I have heard about it before and I think I might like it. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll definitely try watching an episode to see what I think of it!

I think you worded it very nicely. It's very understandable from the point of the main character that he would be in the "totally not ok" group, but on the other hand, the Operating System is just something that was created by other people and in my opinion, it wouldn't be capable of being in love anyway. It would just say and do things based on a predetermined goal e.g. get as close as possible to your human. That doesn't mean that a human can't fall in love with the way the Operating Sytems behaves, but would the fact that the Operating System talks with more people change anything about that? I'm not sure...
Ok, this part doesn't need a spoiler (please correct me if I'm wrong).

It's sometimes difficult to understand the abstraction layering involved in AI unless you're a software engineer, but it's been slowly coming around mostly due to science fiction.

There is no difference between a machine emotion and a human emotion, other than the underlying hardware.

If you wish to view the machine as simply "emulating" but not somehow experiencing human emotion, that's fine for now, but be aware of the following question: Is there a difference between a machine perfectly emulating emotion and a machine actually feeling emotion.

When you dive into the tenets underneath it all, there is no difference. If you want to PM me on this, I'll be glad to deep dive it with you. It's really incredibly interesting stuff.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood
(Steven Ayromlooi, 2003)

You could chop Warwick Davis off at the knees and he still wouldn't be short enough to limbo underneath the standards of quality set by this series; so when I say that Back 2 tha Hood might be the best Leprechaun, I only mean that it's surprisingly competent. The story --- a group of friends incur the leprechaun's wrath after taking his precious gold -- is the template of every Leprechaun movie, but the lack of ludicrous embellishments and side-plots makes this version feel shockingly simple compared to previous entries. The urban setting feels more authentic than our last stay in the hood, and is mostly absent of racist undertones. Characters are thinly written, the performances adequate at best, but the chemistry between the core group feels genuine, and their lack of obnoxiousness is a welcome respite.

Warwick Davis has expressed interest in reprising the role once his children reach adulthood, but if this remains his swan song as the iconic villain, he leaves a strong last impression, demonstrating comedic chops and intimidating malice like a small, green Freddy Krueger. In fact, the tonal balance between humor and horror is the smoothest in the series. The characters are picked off one-by-one, slasher-style, but I liked that each character gets an opportunity to fight back. Most of the kills are hilariously over-the-top, such as a cop having his leg easily ripped off before futilely hopping on his remaining leg until he bleeds out and falls over. Obligatory height jokes are hit and miss, but there's several amusing visual gags and WTF tangents. And once again our leprechaun gets high and suffers from the munchies. ("This isn't gonna stunt your growth, is it?")

Like every movie in the franchise, Back 2 tha Hood indulges in silliness (e.g., a magic duel between the leprechaun and a witch), but it doesn't feel as childish as earlier entries. Part of that may be the noticeable absence of rhymes, which for me has always been the character's most annoying trait. Warwick Davis's wardrobe has undergone subtle changes, giving him a classier, aristocratic appearance that suits the random prologue explaining his origins. The fresh duds plus the excision of limericks result in a more sinister, bad-ass portrayal of the miniature menace than any previous Leprechaun can boast. Back 2 tha Hood doesn't quite match the entertainment factor of the Lep's visit to Vegas, but it's a surprisingly decent comedy-horror, especially in comparison to the dreck that preceded it.

Best Kill: Bong Impalement

Babam ve Oglum (My Father My Son) (2005) - 5/10. There is good movie in here somewhere. But I couldn't find it because if the bad acting that is quite jarring! The movie doesn't even set a tone, whether it wants to be serious or a comedy. Got flummoxed by the 8.3 rating on IMBD. It's not even close! Other than the background score can't really say anything good about it.

I was prepping for an action flick and this isn't one. Most of the movie is a crew of Yakuza hanging out in a beach house waiting for orders and dealing with boredom. Strangely funny, never boring and not what I was expecting. At all.