Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Was really looking forward to watching this so I was a little disappointed. A bit too twisty-turny just for the sake of it. I didn't like Craig's accent at all and thought it was distracting. Barely any of the humor landed for me; however, with the exception of Craig's accent, it is well acted and is some serious eye candy. I thought Marta's condition was interesting but if I was interviewing someone about a murder with that particular tick I'd have them in a room for hours with a couple gallons of pea soup and a few five gallon buckets (why not have some fun). I guess if you did that, though, you wouldn't have much of a movie, so I understand why they went a different route. The set up and ending are good it just overall missed the mark with me. If I ever catch it on TV on some lazy, rainy day I'd probably watch it again but wouldn't plan another viewing.

Eyes Wide Shut (1999, Stanley Kubrick)

Been a long time since I saw this back in the day - I still think it's a great film. This is Kubrick plumbing the depths of human psyche exploring the themes of love, marriage, sex, sexual repression and polygamy in his characteristically clinical, detached style. Love the mystery, the dream-like ambiguity, the little things and nuances that tickle your imagination. Also, the fact that a real-life couple, Cruise and Kidman, was cast added a whole new (and very intriguing) dimension to the psychological context of the film.

Account terminated on request
Eyes Wide Shut (1999, Stanley Kubrick)

Been a long time since I saw this back in the day - I still think it's a great film. This is Kubrick plumbing the depths of human psyche exploring the nature of love, marriage, sex, sexual repression and polygamy in his characteristically clinical, detached style. Love the mystery, the dream-like ambiguity, the little things and nuances that tickle your imagination. Also, the fact that a real-life couple, Cruise and Kidman, was cast added a whole new (and very intriguing) dimension to the psychological context of the film.
"plumbing the depths of human psyche" ?
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Invisible Man (2020)

This rating may seem low given the praise this movie seems to be getting, but I still can't fully buy into these kinds of movies. This is probably the highest rating I can give for a movie with an invisible killer in it. Elizabeth Moss is terrific and carries so much emotion in her scenes, but the plot itself seems to contain some holes if you think too hard on it....but I don't think thats the intent.

The Lighthouse (2019)

Although I loved the atmosphere, I wasn't much of a fan of The Witch from the same director, so I didn't have high expectations here. Great decision to film in black and white and it was a terrific horror film. It looks superb and the two leads are excellent. I told my wife it was a 50's classic. She was very impressed but became confused when she realized one of the men was Willem Dafoe.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Raging Bull (1980) 9/10

One of the "great" Scorsese movies I had not yet seen. Plotting is more like a biopic than a typical Scorsese drama. The cinematography and editing are simply electric.

Leprechaun 3
(Brian Trenchard-Smith, 1995)

Thanks to a magical medallion and a complete disregard for continuity, our leprechaun is now a stone statue inside a pawn shop on the Las Vegas strip. After an act of greed returns the Irish imp to his original form, he bludgeons the shop owner to death, spits some naughty rhymes, then storms Sin City in search of his stolen shilling, while setting aside enough time to rack fat stacks of chips at the closest craps table. ("This is my kind of place -- crooked and sleazy! Stealing gold from humans is awfully easy!")

Leprechaun 3 is the first in the series to abandon aspirations of being a proper horror film, instead committing wholeheartedly to the campy, comedic potential of its premise. We've got our hottest heroine yet, exploding butts and titties, potato addictions, human slot machines, glowing green excrement, werewolf-like transformations, brainwashed stripteases, killer f**k bots; along with important life lessons: don't gamble away your tuition, always heed the warning of a hobo, and the age-old classic: careful what you wish for. The script also touches on sexual harassment in the work place and takes a few pointed, amusing jabs at the health-care industry. Warwick Davis seems to savor every silly sequence, as he dons several new hats throughout the run-time: Elvis impersonator, financial advisor, fortune teller, televangelist, the world's ugliest nurse. It's no surprise to read that he once cited Leprechaun 3 as his favorite of the series. Easily the most entertaining entry thus far.

Best Kill: Boobs, Butt, Botox = Boom!

Seraphim Falls (2006)

Pretty one-dimensional film about a man-hunt after the Civil War in USA. All the performances are decent but a wee bit of extra snap to the script could have lifted this from a serviceable film to genuinely interesting. A Warren Oates (in another life) rather than Mr Handsome Brosnan may have helped.

Steady

Unabomber: In His Own Words - 10/10
All of my heroes seem to be artists, with the exception of Ted Kaczynski]
Really, what about the people he murdered?
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Excellent movie with an ensemble cast.

Re-watch of an excellent movie.

Quirky odd little movie. Ethan Hawke carried this movie.

Re-watch of a pleasant uplifting movie.

Boundaries (2018)

This is a light-hearted and pleasing film with some clever comedy and several enjoyable cameos.

Starring Vera Farmiga, Christopher Plummer, Christopher Lloyd, Bobby Cannavale, Peter Fonda (in his last role), and the Scot youngster, Lewis MacDougal, it's a "road" type picture without being trite.

A ditzy woman's grandfather is expelled from an assisted living home for selling pot, so she must drive him from Portland, OR to L.A. in order to have him take up residence with her sister. Along the way we're treated to several performances from a top secondary cast, most especially Christopher Lloyd. The catch is that the Plummer character is delivering pot orders along the journey, unbeknownst to his granddaughter.

The ending is predictable but enjoyable. It's a movie that one can sit back, relax and enjoy another fine performance from Christopher Plummer.

Doc's rating: 6/10

Last Train from Gun Hill (1959)

The story is probably a fairly standard revenge/seeking justice type, but that's just fine with me. Stars Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn are very intense actors and it really shines through with the two of them going head to head. I guess it could have been better but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Great recommendation from Chypmunk.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Red Heat (1988) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Still a frickin' fun movie after all these years. The new Blu-ray, included in a combo pack with the 4K Ultra HD disc, is pretty rockin', too. There are extras from the UK Blu-ray that weren't part of the previous US Blu-ray and there's also a damn good remaster which is the same one used for the 4K disc. It looks amazing. Colors pop, the grain structure is ever-present, and aside from one or two white speckles, it's everything a fan could ask for. I can't speak to the quality of the previous Blu-ray since while I own that release, I never watched it. I guess hearing of how they messed up the subtitles during one of the Russian scenes, saying, "Hell pay far his crimes against the people," ruined it for this fan, though I guess it was otherwise considerably better than the non-anamorphic 2001 DVD from Live Entertainment. Thankfully, that's not an issue here since Studio Canal has employed a new subtitle script for the Russian scenes with "Hell pay far his crimes against the people," becoming, "He'll pay for his crimes against our people." They even subtitle Russian text in this edition. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track also stacks up to the video with the spoken word loud and clear at every turn, James Horner's musical score enhancing the proceedings, and sound effects such as gunshots hefting quite a punch. And yeah, the movie's still one of my favorite Arnold flicks. Schwarzenegger is entertaining as always as Danko, the same can be said for Jim Belushi as Ridzik, Ed O'Ross is a menacing villain as Rosta, and Peter Boyle is rock-solid as Donnelly. The film also maintains an even keel between its dual genres, the humor every bit as amusing ("I do not want to touch his ass! I want to make him talk!") as the action is intense. I know a lot of people don't like Red Heat nearly as much as I do, but that hardly matters to me and as a long-time fan, I'll definitely be coming back to it many more times in the future with this new package.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Dead Ant (Ron Carlson, 2017
5.5/10
Five the Hard Way (Gus Trikonis, 1969)
3/10
Cry of the Werewolf (Henry Levin, 1944)
5/10
Northwest Hounded Police (Tex Avery, 1946)
- 8/10

The Wolf can't get away from Droopy.
Escape from Pretoria (Francis Annan, 2020
6/10
Knives and Skin (Jennifer Reeder, 2019)
5/10
The Mephisto Waltz (Paul Wendkos, 1971)
6/10
The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)
7/10

There's no crying in baseball.
Broken Ghost (Richard Grayf, 2017)
5/10
Variety (Bette Gordon, 1983)
5.5/10
The Red Fury (Lyman D. Dayton, 1984)
5/10
Case for a Rookie Hangman (Pavel Jurácek, 1970)
6.5/10
... whether you're dreaming or not.
Ambition (Robert Shaye, 2012)
5/10
Anchor and Hope (Carlos Marques-Marcet, 2017)
- 5.5/10
Mute Fire AKA Pirotecnia (Federico Atehortúa Arteaga, 2019)
+ 5/10
Sonic the Hedgehog (Jeff Fowleré, 2020)
6/10

Even Mr. Supercilious is afraid of the Blue Devil.
Native Son (Rashid Johnson, 2019)
+ 5/10
MXP: Most Xtreme Primate (Robert Vince, 2004)
4/10
Freshman Year (Jude Okwudiafor Johnson, 2019)
+ 5/10
Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool (Stanley Nelson, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

The Jazz Genius, warts and all.

“I was cured, all right!”

Red Heat (1988) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Still a frickin' fun movie after all these years. The new Blu-ray, included in a combo pack with the 4K Ultra HD disc, is pretty rockin', too. There are extras from the UK Blu-ray that weren't part of the previous US Blu-ray and there's also a damn good remaster which is the same one used for the 4K disc. It looks amazing. Colors pop, the grain structure is ever-present, and aside from one or two white speckles, it's everything a fan could ask for. I can't speak to the quality of the previous Blu-ray since while I own that release, I never watched it. I guess hearing of how they messed up the subtitles during one of the Russian scenes, saying, "Hell pay far his crimes against the people," ruined it for this fan, though I guess it was otherwise considerably better than the non-anamorphic 2001 DVD from Live Entertainment. Thankfully, that's not an issue here since Studio Canal has employed a new subtitle script for the Russian scenes with "Hell pay far his crimes against the people," becoming, "He'll pay for his crimes against our people." They even subtitle Russian text in this edition. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track also stacks up to the video with the spoken word loud and clear at every turn, James Horner's musical score enhancing the proceedings, and sound effects such as gunshots hefting quite a punch. And yeah, the movie's still one of my favorite Arnold flicks. Schwarzenegger is entertaining as always as Danko, the same can be said for Jim Belushi as Ridzik, Ed O'Ross is a menacing villain as Rosta, and Peter Boyle is rock-solid as Donnelly. The film also maintains an even keel between its dual genres, the humor every bit as amusing ("I do not want to touch his ass! I want to make him talk!") as the action is intense. I know a lot of people don't like Red Heat nearly as much as I do, but that hardly matters to me and as a long-time fan, I'll definitely be coming back to it many more times in the future with this new package.
Great reading