Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I saw respoamenic had posted this in the trailers thread first.

I may try to read this before the movie...well at least the first 100 pages before it gets abandoned like every other book.

I didn't realize this was a "boy and his dog" story. This lessens my enthusiasm as the usual tropes of the hero saving his companion will surely show up.

There were some good lines. "Do they have bullets and guns where you are from." "You're gonna like earth.'

The fx looks good. The still image doesn't do it justice, but the reloading shots are really cool.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
As someone who's read all eight books (and Little Sister of Eluria) I hate the trailer. I hear it's a continuation of the books but there are so many things presented in the trailer that contradict that logic. It seems like the studio bit off more than they could chew and realized it too late so just put out whatever trash they could and slap the Dark Tower name on it. I will not be seeing this.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
This looks amazing.

Did King write that as Bachman?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
No, it's one of his most popular series.

Looked a bit meh to me to be honest.
Thanks. I just couldnt remember which name he used for that series.

Idris is enough to get me to see this. I also like MMc, and the kid looks like a good lil actor.

These must be the only SK book I've never read. I'm a big fan of his but these books just never appealed to me, I have no idea why. Just a question: is the main character black in the book? Because I seem to remember a lot of people on IMDb discussing the main role and saying Viggo Mortensen would have been a perfect cast as the hero (though he is probably too old now).

These must be the only SK book I've never read. I'm a big fan of his but these books just never appealed to me, I have no idea why. Just a question: is the main character black in the book? Because I seem to remember a lot of people on IMDb discussing the main role and saying Viggo Mortensen would have been a perfect cast as the hero (though he is probably too old now).
As far as SK is concerned, which would you say is the best movie adaptation of one of his books? Carrie? The Shining? I tend to go for The Shining myself though the book was way better IMO.

The series is actually King's proudest achievement I think. He called it his life's work, and was super careful in lending away the film rights. He even turned down Frank Darabont.

This looks like a complete bastardization of that. I don't think it looks awful, but overly-bombastic Hollywood action with so much material squeezed in. I was pretty intrigued before, but this lost me. Not really my kind of thing.

Roland is white. He's even called white devil by one of the main characters. I guess that plot line goes out the window if they make a sequel.

S.King himself approved idris as the gunslinger, I doubt it will change anything substantial to the original plot/story.

Does him being called "white devil" tie into the plot, or is it just a line they could excise without changing the story?
There's one of the characters in the second book who is extremely racist against white people and is forced to overcome it at the end of the book. I don't want to go into too much detail as it may constitute as spoilers.

The series is actually King's proudest achievement I think. He called it his life's work, and was super careful in lending away the film rights. He even turned down Frank Darabont.

This looks like a complete bastardization of that. I don't think it looks awful, but overly-bombastic Hollywood action with so much material squeezed in. I was pretty intrigued before, but this lost me. Not really my kind of thing.
Frank Darabont, huh? Maybe it was The Mist...

Roland is white. He's even called white devil by one of the main characters. I guess that plot line goes out the window if they make a sequel.
Thanks for answering that. If the books didn't appeal, I guess the film won't either so I'll
probably give it a miss. Besides, there doesn't seem to be much sucess with movie adaptations of SK's books. They all seem to be pretty awful with the possible exception of The Shining and even that was not up to the book standard, imo.

Never seen anything with this Alba guy in it. Is he good?

My favorite SK books are Gerald's Game and Misery.

Thanks for answering that. If the books didn't appeal, I guess the film won't either so I'll
probably give it a miss. Besides, there doesn't seem to be much sucess with movie adaptations of SK's books. They all seem to be pretty awful with the possible exception of The Shining and even that was not up to the book standard, imo.

Never seen anything with this Alba guy in it. Is he good?

My favorite SK books are Gerald's Game and Misery.
I really love the books but I'm not a fan of King's other stuff. It's a fantasy series, kinda like LOTR in a Western setting...and robots...and giant lobsters that attack people.

Idris Elba is a pretty good actor.

As far as King adaptations, I like Shawshank and The Green Mile.