Re93animator's Favorite Music!

Tools    

Mr. Bungle – I’ve got to include Bungle here, though I’ve sort of worn out their music. The early funk metal stuff doesn’t really appeal to me, but Disco Volante has always been one of my favorite albums. I hear more and more bands trying the ‘genre-hopping’ thing post-Bungle, but not-a-one has ever come close (apart from Secret Chiefs 3).

Secret Chiefs 3 - I actually prefer this to Bungle. This is the main project of Trey Spruance (Bungle’s guitarist), and it shows just how involved he was in the songwriting. The earlier output seemed like more of an experiment than anything, but the more recent output (starting with Book of Horizons) is matured instrumental music that ambitiously covers a seemingly endless array of genres with strong cinematic and Middle Eastern influence.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I also enjoy Mr. Bungle. I was introduced to them through their cover of My Name is Not Merv Griffin.

S.U.P. / Superation (!!!) – I need to dedicate a whole post to these guys. I’m in love. I bought their entire discography within a month of discovery. Prog metal in the vein of Dan Swano’s stuff and Voivod. It’s hard to find a lesser song from them. The music is so catchy and instrumentally sound, the guitars have my beloved 90s crunch, and the clean & harsh vocals are perfect. Superation is a more straightforward & less creative death metal incarnation though (still good, just less interesting).

Machinations (a good representation):

Bangs in my Head (their most catchy/accessible?). Ignore the intro:

Ocean of Faces (a little softer/weirder):

Liberatio (more proggy):

A Triangular Machine (skip to about 2:00 to bypass a somewhat repetitive intro):

The Gathering – They started with Doom Metal and gradually worked their way up to softer prog rock. Some of the metal stuff is great (Mandylion especially), but I personally think How to Measure a Planet is their peak. Good night driving music.

More metal:

Perpetual Ocean – Very creative prog/trip-hop/tribal/ambient/rock band. There’s not much like it, and most of the songs I’ve heard are pretty distinct from each other, making it difficult to get bored out of repetition.

The Billy Nayer Show – I discovered this band through The American Astronaut film, and followed the rabbit hole down through numerous albums. I wouldn’t say they’re amazing, but Cory McCabe is a true visionary artist and one of my favorite lyricists. This is sort of a bizarre rockabilly band.

Dalek – Unrelated to Doctor Who. At their peak, they can be the darkest, heaviest hip-hop act I’ve ever heard. They also experiment with occasional softer, melancholic stylings. It’s rap, but it seems heavily influenced by power electronics, noise and experimental rock. They even did a collaboration with Faust.

Techno Animal – A side project of J. Broadrick of Godflesh. His experiments with hip hop are taken furthest with Brotherhood of the Bomb, one of the grittiest/noisiest hip hop albums you’ll find, with some nice sonic boom bass. The earlier stuff ventures more into ambient and industrial as well.

If you're impatient, 2:20 and on is kool:

I have a Dalek album. They are coo. Need to check the other one out.

I have a Dalek album. They are coo. Need to check the other one out.
I think Absence is their best. Abandoned Language is a nice 'calmer' album too.

Devin Townsend – I LIKE WALL OF SOUND. Another prolific guy with a super dynamic catalogue. Not the best lyricist, but I’ve found some of his music very emotionally resonant. I’m probably still underplaying how much I love this man; The Death of Music is my favorite song. A positive inspiration for me.

The Death of Music. My favorite song! Treat yourself: turn down the lighting, turn up the volume, get immersed. Please. It's a little indulgent, but you owe yourself the experience (if you’re into kind of pretentious ambient music ):

Stormbending. Still strong as ever. That f*cking second chorus:

Strapping Young Lad – Devin Townsend’s manic side. A band equal parts angry and self-satirizing. Their catalogue may be hit and miss, but City may be the most genuinely angry album I’ve heard, and Alien sounds like musings from someone on the brink of madness. I don’t always listen to metal purely as a ‘release,’ but when I do, I prefer City. Stay angry my friends.

All Hail the New Flesh

Skeksis

Almost Again. The catchier, more proggy side:

@re93animator if it's ok with uou I will post my likes under your thread. Asking your permission because I am not liked around here, and really don't want to start threads. I just want to hang with the odd person who shares a few likes and since I am audio driven, it's going to be the music people. And from there you'll probably find our movie likes synch up for the most part.

@re93animator if it's ok with uou I will post my likes under your thread. Asking your permission because I am not liked around here, and really don't want to start threads. I just want to hang with the odd person who shares a few likes and since I am audio driven, it's going to be the music people. And from there you'll probably find our movie likes synch up for the most part.
Absolutely. I love finding new stuff. You've probably got plenty more good music that I've yet to discover.

oh btw.... I have to tell you this.

I had the opportunity to be eating dinner opposite Devin Townsend. So of course I said "oh btw thanks a stack for Deconstructing Badgers. I LEGIT CAN'T EVEN!" And he laughed.

I think with you, I will say things like Suicide and you know exactly what I'm talking about. Like I wouldn't have to watch my references too much. I feel really okay with that.

oh btw.... I have to tell you this.

I had the opportunity to be eating dinner opposite Devin Townsend. So of course I said "oh btw thanks a stack for Deconstructing Badgers. I LEGIT CAN'T EVEN!" And he laughed.
Funniest guy in metal. Telescopes Are Gay is nice too.

I think with you, I will say things like Suicide and you know exactly what I'm talking about. Like I wouldn't have to watch my references too much. I feel really okay with that.
Suicide's cool (I hope no one takes that out of context). I love 70s/80s electronic stuff. Early industrial specially.

The Billy Nayer Show – I discovered this band through The American Astronaut film, and followed the rabbit hole down through numerous albums. I wouldn’t say they’re amazing, but Cory McCabe is a true visionary artist and one of my favorite lyricists. This is sort of a bizarre rockabilly band.

Tops. That movie is the soundtrack. I actually wasn't aware they were a real band until now, ha. I'll be doing some digging of my own.

Meanwhile...

Yeah, it is easy to get lost in heavy reverb and take the easy way out. But it's also tough to have a rhythm that doesn't make things super conventional. Finding that balance between enough of a rhythm and plenty of room to shift gears and scribble on top (maybe using heavy reverb but more of a steel pedal sound/harmonized with a 3rd or a 5th) or just a constant note and play 3rds and 5ths on top..just a think line of melody leaving enough room for pads and vocals to swell up the rest...or just the sound of a hair dryer. Sometimes I wonder if just the sound of a hair dryer would be enough. Life is too crazy. AHHHHHHH!!
I think Merzbow actually tried that at some point.

Do you like Pharmakon?
Never heard of it. I scanned it on youtube though. Some of it's cool, but I dunno, I guess I've just sort of grown out of power electronics. I like when artists incorporate it but still have harsh melodic accompaniment. Maybe Gnaw Their Tongues is a good example.

Tops. That movie is the soundtrack. I actually wasn't aware they were a real band until now, ha. I'll be doing some digging of my own.
You should watch Stingray Sam if you haven't. For the band, their later stuff is more mature; their early stuff sounds a tad Bungle-inspired, but tends to get a little annoying. Youtube is unfortunately limited, but I've found some of their albums pretty cheap on amazon, and Cory McCabe's site.