Movies that are based on true stories:

Tools    

A Beautiful Mind based on John Nash's real struggle with serious mental illness

A Beautiful Mind based on John Nash's real struggle with serious mental illness
It is actually loosely based on the real events.

It is actually loosely based on the real events.
Oh. Well, I do imagine it's hard to replicate schizophrenic hallucinations. Especially since he'd probably want to suppress those experiences, I know I would. He probably never thought he was actually working for any intelligence agency as a codebreaker.

Oh. Well, I do imagine it's hard to replicate schizophrenic hallucinations. Especially since he'd probably want to suppress those experiences, I know I would. He probably never thought he was actually working for any intelligence agency as a codebreaker.
His hallucinations were never visual,he only heard voices.As you said,he never worked(or imagined working?) for intelligence agency.Also that sentimental scene when professors give their pens to John Nash - it is fictional.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.

'The following is based on actual events. Only the names, locations and events have been changed.'

Lords of Dogtown
24 Hours Party People
Blow
Into the Wild
The Motorcycle Diaries
Catch Me If You Can
Monster

Those are some good movies based on true stories

Ray
Your Cheatin Heart
Truman
Elvis
Ed Wood

The Accused (1988) - This film is based on a sexual assault that took place in a bar somewhere in the US.

The Blind Side (2009) - Based on a true story of a family who took in a homeless boy.

of course some of my favorites like The Help, Erin Brokovich, Remember the Titans, The Blind Side, something about being based/inspired by a true story seems to be more interesting in my opinion

The Fighter, one of my favorites!

In Cold Blood (1967), starring Robert Blake, Scott Wilson, and John Forsythe. Based on Truman Capote's true story of the murders of the Clutter family in Kansas in 1959. Capote started writing it as a multi-part story for The New Yorker magazine, later publishing it as a non-fiction crime book. The original movie based on Capote's work is an excellent movie and I highly recommend it.

Of course, there is the story behind Capote's research on the novel---Capote (2005), starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Catherine Keener. It's a very good movie and Hoffman gives one of his best performances ever (some will argue he's just imitating Capote, but I disagree---he brings out the emotions and feelings of the conflicted man very well, IMO) and won the Oscar for it. Keener is also fine as author and friend of Capote, Harper Lee.

Another movie about Capote, Infamous (2006) was made, starring Toby Jones and Sandra Bullock in the Capote and Lee roles. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit also. I prefer Capote, but this one is no slouch.

All of these movies are recommended if you're interested in the subject matter. The first film focuses mainly on the murderers and the law enforcement who tracked them down, but they are all very compelling.

I forgot about Erin Brockovich. Julia Roberts, another excellent actor, was fabulous as the leading character in this film. Thanks for jogging my memory.

I will also add I Never Promised You a Rose Garden to my list. This film, based on a book, is about a young girl growing up in post WWII Chicago, who, traumatized by a surgery where the doctors said it wouldn't hurt, but ended up hurting just the same, becomes a schizophrenic and gets into cutting herself, is institutionalized, gets out, makes an effort to go out even into the social life of town, and ends up going back in. A tormented life is what she led. The movie was quite good, but the book was even better.

Monster
Kontiki
Lilya-4ever
the whistleblower
schindlers list
Selena
Aviator
the basketball diaries
Gia
thirteen-loosely based on nikki reeds diaries.
remember the titans (loosely and made family friendly)
open water¨¨ also loosely as they dont know what happened in the water
wolf of wallstreet (overlydone-but still based on real life)

Ihope you all dont mind me bringing an old thread back. real stories/biographies are my fave,and i figured maybe it was old enough for members to add new ones to the list

in my opinion though,the rules are too loose when it comes to being allowed to claim its based on a real event.
I also think they`re too loose when using real peoples names but then go and change the rest as they please.
pisses me off alot-

Shawshank Redemption. Here's how... it was based on The Count of Monte Cristo which was based on a true story!
However, Stephen King's short story (Shawshank) had about as much in common with Alexandre Dumas' story as The Count of Monte Cristo had to do with the actual events they were based upon. In other words, both works were so altered that they bore little resemblance to the former works or actual events they were based upon and were only somewhat derivative.

But another interesting fact: Dumas' "The Three Musketeers" (of which many movies have been made and which is part of a large 3-novel set commonly known as "The d'Artagnan Romances" that also includes such stories as "The Man in the Iron Mask") was based on historical events and most of the major characters in the books actually existed, including all four of the featured Musketeers themselves!