The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe

Tools    

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
Director Andrew Adamson revealed to The Dominion Post that he wants to shoot at least some of the $170 million CS Lewis novel adaptation in and around New Zealand.

New Zealand's doubling as the fantasy world of Narnia would boost our film industry and tourism in the way that The Lord of the Rings has, its director says.

Andrew Adamson, a New Zealander who won the best animated film Oscar for Shrek, which he co-directed, wants to shoot some of his next film in New Zealand.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, with a reported budget of $170 million, is based on the second book, published in 1950, of C S Lewis' seven-part Chronicles of Narnia.

But live-action shooting will not go ahead here unless it gets a tax incentive or other support. The Government's decision on whether to support the film is expected next week.

Adamson, who lives in Los Angeles, said the project would provide more work for New Zealand's film industry. Weta Workshop in Wellington was already making props, including swords and armour, while New Zealander Grant Major, The Lord of the Rings production designer, is the film's producer and design director.

"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe offers some of what The Lord of the Rings offers as far as being a classic story, having a big appeal to a huge audience.

"But also being a very location-based film, as Wellington became Middle-earth, there's a good possibility that locations in New Zealand will become Narnia," Adamson said.

"The Lord of the Rings ended up being a huge commercial for New Zealand. I have lived (in Los Angeles) now for 12 years, I've always been an advocate of encouraging people to go to New Zealand. Over the years maybe one person I knew actually made the trip. The last couple of years since The Lord of the Rings came out, I know four or five that have made the trip."

Adamson said despite Hollywood films such as The Last Samurai being shot in New Zealand, there was no guarantee the country would attract overseas film-makers without more incentives.

"If Peter (Jackson) decides to take two or three years off, the film industry could suddenly drop away. People will end up moving overseas to get work and you'll lose them and then you don't have the talent base there to attract other things back in."

Adamson said if The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe were shot here, filming was likely to be this summer. While he had considered shooting snow-bound scenes in New Zealand those would be shot in the northern hemisphere.

Adamson scouted from Dunedin to Cape Reinga for suitable locations, much of the time by helicopter. He looked around Wellington, but was not sure if the region would end up in the film.

"Peter Jackson's kind of tapped out a lot of those locations," he said.

BANNED
Cool! I loved the Narnia chronicles as a kid (still do!) and C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite writers (fiction and non-fiction). This should be really brilliant! Do you think they will go ahead and adapt all the Narnia chronicles?

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
That would be awesome it they did a whole series.

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
I agree, I loved the books and tv series as a child and would love to see what they will do when this moves into production

yah, im glad that their making this movie. I always knew it would happen one day. Hopefully its as good as the books.

They already made a small T.V. miniseries in the late 88's. Hard-Core fans should check it out. I'm not a fan of the series but maybe the movie will convert me like lotr. I'm craving for an epic fanatasy flick so hopefully this one will fill me up.

The Green Lantern
I can not wait for the movie to come out. I read the books just after I got out of high school. "Once a King or Queen in Narnia. Always a King or Queen in Narnia".
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

District B13
My dad read these to me when I was 3 years old. My first non childish books I've ever read.

I believe, that like lotr and the Hobbit, the books not a part of the big 4 (the original 4, or is it 5?) will not be made.

Sad, I wanted to see the Hobbit, and I'm sure the main Narnia aftermath is fine as well.

But with already skipping the prequel it looks like they are flying in the same direction that LOTR took in only making the main series.

I think this will be the best film of the year. I read an interview with Adamson which he led me to believe they sort have started on the other books. I loved this series as a kid and it was begging to made!

District B13
My only hope is that it is significantly different than the Lord of the Rings look. Sort of a more fantastical approach than what the "alternate" world LOTR created.

Shooting in New Zealand could be a bit of a problem.

I don't want this to be lotr trilogy part 2.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
My only hope is that it is significantly different than the Lord of the Rings look. Sort of a more fantastical approach than what the "alternate" world LOTR created.

Shooting in New Zealand could be a bit of a problem.

I don't want this to be lotr trilogy part 2.
I think the trailer already indicates that the look is much more "fantastical." Not much of the grit that The Lord of the Rings is known for.

I am so looking forward to seeing The Chronicals of Narnia! I grew up watching the made for t.v movies but now I get to see new ones that just looking AMAZING!

Is everyone going opening weekend? How much money do you think it will take in?

Originally Posted by mott hamble
Is everyone going opening weekend? How much money do you think it will take in?
Too soon to say. I'm not sure if we have an official theater count, and we need a few more advance reviews to get a feel for how it'll likely be received.

I'll probably be seeing it this Saturday, and if so I'll be sure to check in with some thoughts.

Ground Control To Major Thom
I've got this niggly feeling it's going to miss a beat.

WEll based upon the reviews I have read - it hits all the "beats." REad the Roeper review. My friend went to an advanced screening and pretty much confirmed all of the positive reviews. I will not miss this one.

This movie looks absolutely wonderful. I loved the books and hope to see them all be made into movies.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i read this on my own at like, 9 years old or something. i think it was my first fantasy reading. made me breathless. classic!

if it's at all followed faithfully (meaning many things such as, the emotional and dramatic power of it, the storylines, the mood of it, faithful renderings of characters, etc) with a proper budget like Harry Potter and LOTR, then yes, it will be up there and remain up there as sequels are released.

it should be, actually, very much a marriage of the aura of those two series = because Narnia is told from the POV of children, and is full of parables and moral tales rather than the "adult drama" of LOTR. there are children who discover powers and strengths within themselves they never believed themselves capable of, the change from child to adult, from innocence to wisdom - very Harry Potter-like. Thus, it will be very much fantastical, frightening, new, and enlightening, just as the experience was for the children in the novels.

oh, another parallel comes to mind - peter pan. but more epic.

There is some talk that this will be the next big franchise. For those of you who have read the books - which ones do you think will be next?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
well the chronicles come in an ordered series, just like LOTR and Harry Potter. the order the chronicles should be told in is a huge matter of controversy and debate with critics, publishers, fans of the series/cs lewis.

the chronicles were originally published (and therefore, introduced by the author and read by his fans) in this order:

1. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle

I was a kid when I read the series, I can't remember what order I read it in. I'll be ordering a new set soon.

Anyhoo, publishers nowadays elect (problematically, many agree) to deliver the series in technical chronological order, probably to underline the christian allegorical factor rather than let the plot run as it did when delivered by the author:

1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

Per my post above, if this series is treated as LOTR and Harry Potter have been treated, it WILL be the next, WORTHY franchise. When I say worthy, i mean, genuine, sincere, honest, and not riddled solely with blockbuster focus (basically avoiding selling out).

A big sign that it's leaning this way, and will be told honestly and genuinely, is that the first released film is, indeed, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - per the first publication order, and loyal fan preference.