Batman to fight Batman. . .maybe

Tools    

POSSIBLE SPOILERS. . .maybe, I don't know

Michael Keaton is "RUMORED" to be reading for the Joker in the next Batman movie. What do you think? if it's true that is. . .
And found he was eating his shoe.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It'd be cool IF it were true, which is probably not.

Suspect's Reviews

District B13
If the script turns its overly self righteous caped crusader and boredom inducing villains around, I don't care WHO is in the bat-villain.

And let me say this, no human being on earth can replace Jack Nicholson. Notice the period on the end of that sentence.

Movie Forums Member
HI all,

So where are the "potential" spoilers.......?? My computer won't let me drag over anything in your post, which leads me to believe there is nothing posted.........I am right, hope not......

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by pavo_roddy
HI all,

So where are the "potential" spoilers.......?? My computer won't let me drag over anything in your post, which leads me to believe there is nothing posted.........I am right, hope not......
I think Michael Keaton was the spoiler, so I'm pretty sure you're right.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
And let me say this, no human being on earth can replace Jack Nicholson. Notice the period on the end of that sentence.
I don't think replacing Jack Nicholson is the idea. Of course, his performance was great - but he's not the be-all-end-all Joker. I'd like to see another actor take on the role. What I DON'T want to see, though, is another actor play the Joker like Jack Nicholson.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Have they run out of original Batman villains already that they have to recycle the one from the first movie? And frankly, I just don't see how that wouldn't invite all sorts of bad comparisons for poor Michael (whom I love dearly).

Perhaps someone meant that he would be the Riddler, not the Joker...? Somehow that would make a tad more sense to me.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Have they run out of original Batman villains already that they have to recycle the one from the first movie?
A good villain is so important. Spiderman II had a better villain that Spiderman I. Mr Freeze and The Penguin sucked for Batman. But Batman Begins and Batman I had good villains.

I wonder if Batman could sucessfully go outside the established roster of villains for something new.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

District B13
Originally Posted by Sleezy
I don't think replacing Jack Nicholson is the idea. Of course, his performance was great - but he's not the be-all-end-all Joker. I'd like to see another actor take on the role. What I DON'T want to see, though, is another actor play the Joker like Jack Nicholson.
The only thing hampering Nicholson was his looks.

Other than that, he WAS the joker.

End all, and be all.

Psychotic? Check.
Lunacy? Check.
Humorous, psychotic, lunacy? Check.

The Joker = The Jack Nicholson.

I tend to agree with you, which is why I think it would be unfair to Keaton to make him play the same role that both Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson did with such outrageous overkill.

District B13
I tend to agree with you, which is why I think it would be unfair to Keaton to make him play the same role that both Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson did with such outrageous overkill.
"Outrageous overkill"

To me, that should be a compliment.

Perhaps, Jamie Foxx did an outrageous overkill when he played Ray.

Yea, no faults in Nicholson's performance.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing

End all, and be all.

Psychotic? Check.
Lunacy? Check.

Your overweaning fanboy opinion is noted.

That said, I'd like to see Crispin Glover do the role. Or Paul Reubens. Where's he been, lately?

ObiWan, I did mean that as a compliment. And something Keaton would have to overcome in order to top either Romero's or Nicholson's performances in the same role. I just don't see that happening. If you force Keaton to be TOO frenetic, he loses his appeal. IMHO....

Crispin Glover would be an interesting choice ... and definitely would take the role in a different direction.

Where has Reubens been lately? Probably taking in a movie.....
*koff*

Never conform, never compromise....

End all, and be all.

Psychotic? Check.
Lunacy? Check.

While I liked Jack as the Joker, my problem is he did not play the Joker from the comics (specifically Frank Millars who wrote the best of them) he played it as Jack Nicholson as the Joker...just like he has played every character in his acting career. Don't get me wrong, I like Jack and I liked him as the Joker but I would rather see that character played a bit closer to the source material (just like Bale did as apposed to Keaton's Batman). I personally do not like the idea of Keaton as the Joker (I do like Keaton so don't flame me!) However, in the end it's all personnal opinion and we don't really control who they cast. I do however like the one that I heard about, can't quite remember his name (he was in that movie "A Knight's Tale") I think he would do great in the role. But hey, thats just my 2 cents.

Edit: Note, while he was physcotic and a lunatic (though not in the same vain as the Joker) I did not find him humorous at all. If you want to see a great example of the Joker, download a little film short called Batman: Dead End. Its a fanboy film (I'm sure you know all about that) and does go a little off the mark about halfway through (whats with the Alien and Pred????), the guy playing the Joker has the perfect look and got his phsycosis almost dead on. I'm not saying he's good enough for the next movie, but it gives a better example of what the Joker SHOULD be. Ok, now I'm done.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

Jack was great. Keaton wouldnt work as the joker. However, Im all for someone else taking a stab at it, and think its completely possible to surpass the performance that Jack gave.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Your overweaning fanboy opinion is noted.

That said, I'd like to see Crispin Glover do the role. Or Paul Reubens. Where's he been, lately?
i can't really see either of them playing the Joker, Reubens maybe more than Glover, but I don't think Crispin can smile that much.

In the Beginning...
Where has Reubens been lately? Probably taking in a movie.....
*koff*
Quick bit of trivia: Paul Reubens made a cameo as The Penguin's father in Batman Returns.

Originally Posted by Endless
If you want to see a great example of the Joker, download a little film short called Batman: Dead End. Its a fanboy film (I'm sure you know all about that) and does go a little off the mark about halfway through (whats with the Alien and Pred????), the guy playing the Joker has the perfect look and got his phsycosis almost dead on. I'm not saying he's good enough for the next movie, but it gives a better example of what the Joker SHOULD be. Ok, now I'm done.
Disagreed. While it was an extremely well-done short film, it didn't delve very deeply into the characters at all. Batman and the Joker both looked straight out of the comics, but it was an action film. The Joker was there for a minute, if that. The actor - who is actually the nephew of Walter Koenig (Chekov, from Star Trek) - did a nice job with the look and the voice, but he just played the surface level of the Joker. He spoke two or three lines, cackled a little bit. That was it. You can't say he was the perfect Joker from that alone.

End all, and be all.

Psychotic? Check.
Lunacy? Check.

The Joker has been portrayed in the comics so many different ways. You can't pin one of them, and say, "That's the Joker!" It's all about individual interpretation of the creators. There may be one of two that sit right with you, but that doesn't mean all the others are wrong. That's what is great about characters in comics - they're always up for fresh interpretation, for better or worse.

Jack Nicholson was superb. The little bits of madness in his eyes, the sheer craziness at the end (like he was just letting go of his sanity altogether). And he was scary to boot. Excellent job. He nailed all the things you mentioned. But other actors can do the same. The Joker doesn't belong to one actor. Imagine if Dracula, or Macbeth, were limited to one actor. We'd never see Dracula or Macbeth again. I, for one, want to see The Joker again. I want to see a great actor make the Joker his own, and become the Joker. And I want to see it in a Chris Nolan Batman film, and I want to see Christian Bale chasing him down.

And speaking of that, I also want to see Catwoman, Two-Face, The Riddler, Mr. Freeze, and Poison Ivy.

EDIT:

Here's the story I found:

http://www.moviehole.net/news/batman_vsbatman.html

Looks like we might be getting Harvey Dent! Liev Schreiber would be a nice pick, too.

There's treachery afoot!!!
My vote is for Adrian Brody he has the perfect build for 'The Joker' and a great actor to boot.