If George Lucas did Apocolypse now after Star Wars?

Tools    

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
How different do you think his career would he be, would he have directed more films? Would Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi exist still?

Huh? AN was written and directed by Coppola. Lucas wasn't involved.

Huh? AN was written and directed by Coppola. Lucas wasn't involved.
I read that not only was George Lucas involved in production, he was gonna direct it too.
"After the success of Francis Ford Coppola’s The Rain People in 1969, Warner Brothers gave the young filmmaker a development deal for him and his production company. One of the films he proposed to produce was Apocalypse Now, written by John Milius and directed by his friend, George Lucas. The film was intended to be shot on a shoestring budget in Stockton, California. Lucas was going to use 16mm black and white film (American Graffiti was also shot on 16mm film) and it would be a little bit more of a dark comedy than what came to pass."

Unless there was a different adaptation of the novel or different cast, I can't help but wonder whether Lucas would have been dragged down into all the production problems that Coppola had. AN seemed to be haunted by the same quagmire that afflicted the actual war.

It's hard to make a movie when you have issues like (from Wikipedia) - "Real human corpses were bought from a man who turned out to be a grave-robber.", not to mention friction between cast members who had very high opinions of themselves.

Unless there was a different adaptation of the novel or different cast, I can't help but wonder whether Lucas would have been dragged down into all the production problems that Coppola had. AN seemed to be haunted by the same quagmire that afflicted the actual war.

It's hard to make a movie when you have issues like (from Wikipedia) - "Real human corpses were bought from a man who turned out to be a grave-robber.", not to mention friction between cast members who had very high opinions of themselves.
Hearts of Darkness is one of my favorite documentaries because it shows the problems and tribulations of making a film. It may have gone through similar or less problems. Possibly it would have been shot in 77 or 78, so the Typhoon would've already happened a year before. Surprised it turned out so good after all the issues.

Welcome to the human race...
It was my understanding that Lucas was initially slated to make Apocalypse Now immediately after American Graffiti only to end up passing on it and making Star Wars instead, hence why Coppola took over - both films had principal photography in 1976 or so but Apocalypse Now's release was delayed by its many production and post-production issues, so Lucas was never going to make it after Star Wars.

It was my understanding that Lucas was initially slated to make Apocalypse Now immediately after American Graffiti only to end up passing on it and making Star Wars instead, hence why Coppola took over - both films had principal photography in 1976 or so but Apocalypse Now's release was delayed by its many production and post-production issues, so Lucas was never going to make it after Star Wars.
Maybe it would've been shot back to back for all we know. Apocolypse Now first, Star Wars 2nd.

Lucas was initially attached to the Apocalypse Now project and it was envisioned as a small, documentary-like production that at one crazy stage was even going to be shot in Vietnam while the War was still raging. This would have been done before American Graffiti and after THX-1138. After the success of Graffiti it was almost set up at Columbia, but when that fell apart Lucas moved on to Star Wars and Coppola stepped in as the director.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra