Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

After reading your review of this movie, I found it on Facebook videos, (English dubbed), and I watched it.

It's a very good movie. At first, I hated Iisakki, but I liked the way the relationship between Iisakki and Nikolas changed over time. It was like the good in Nikolas was rubbing off on Iisakki.

You probably should have nominated this movie for this HoF. I think it would have done well.
I found out about it the same day I watched it. Never knew about it before then. I was looking up Scandinavian Christmas films.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

This film is a childhood classic for me. I've seen it so many times and the looney toons type carnage is always funny to me, even if it's over the top and both men should be dead within minutes of the invasion.

Macaulay Culkin was the biggest child actor, maybe the biggest of all-time? That's debatable, but he was huge and it's because of this movie. Pesci and Stern have great chemistry and it's really funny seeing Pesci try his hardest not to swear, it really comes across on the screen.

Christmas, despite being a family type holiday, always has a hint of loneliness for me. The coldest of the weather, the slow and depressing songs (at lest to me), and seeing a little boy alone for Christmas adds to this. It is a fun movie for sure and every kids "DREAM" of being able to do whatever you want with no adult supervision.

I might get my son to watch this with me come December.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just Friends

Perhaps we've all been in Ryan Reynolds high school dilemma at some point in our lives, "friends" with someone we actually liked but knew could never get to. I think that's what makes the story cool is how relatable that aspect was even if it was put over the top by him being a rather fat dude.

Amy Smart gives a great screen presence. I mean a great great screen presence. Watching her alone in this movie is enough to give someone some nice holiday cheer!

I like Reynolds too. Sometimes he's a bit over the top, kind of like Sandler is but that's just the kind of roles that are usually carved out for him. No different here.

Faris' character just kind of felt a bit unneeded to me. Another great screen presence, but she's definitely over the top and a bit too much for me here.

It's a decently funny film but I'm not sure that I'll watch it again.

Just Friends
...I like Reynolds too. Sometimes he's a bit over the top, kind of like Sandler is but that's just the kind of roles that are usually carved out for him...
There were times in the movie where I actually said to my wife, 'this should've been an Adam Sandler movie.' Especially the ice hockey game, I could so see Sandler do his angry face as his rages at the little kids, ha.

Yeah I actually think he could have made this even funnier. Not that Reynolds did bad.
I was hoping we'd get a Sandler film. But I don't even know if he's made any type of Holiday film before?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I was hoping we'd get a Sandler film. But I don't even know if he's made any type of Holiday film before?
8 crazy nights. Which is actually hilarious more I think of it lol.

A Muppet Christmas Carol
(1992)
Directed by Brian Henson
Nominated by @Wyldesyde19 (our own Mofo Scrooge!)

The story of a lonely old man, who never had anyone to really care about him and the fear of Christmas, that changed his life.

It was cute. It was Muppets. There wasn't much to say other than it's one of my favorites so far in this HOF. I told my daughter I was watching it and she said "It's one of the best!". Yes, it's a very good one and I love Muppets but not all characters.

Nice choice Scrooge!

The trick is not minding

A Muppet Christmas Carol
(1992)
Directed by Brian Henson
Nominated by @Wyldesyde19 (our own Mofo Scrooge!)

The story of a lonely old man, who never had anyone to really care about him and the fear of Christmas, that changed his life.

It was cute. It was Muppets. There wasn't much to say other than it's one of my favorites so far in this HOF. I told my daughter I was watching it and she said "It's one of the best!". Yes, it's a very good one and I love Muppets but not all characters.

Nice choice Scrooge!
So....you’re saying that I am the grinch who saved Holiday HOF??
😏😏

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
speaking of Humbug, I thought this was a rather interesting bit of trivia:
"The word "humbug" is misunderstood by many people, which is a pity since the word provides a key insight into Ebenezer Scrooge's hatred of Christmas. The word "humbug" describes deceitful efforts to fool people by pretending to a fake loftiness or false sincerity. So when Scrooge calls Christmas a humbug, he is claiming that people only pretend to be charitable and kind in an effort to delude him, each other, and themselves. In Scrooge's eyes, he is the one man honest enough to admit that no one really cares about anyone else, so for him, every wish for a Merry Christmas is one more deceitful effort to fool him and take advantage of him."

I had always thought it was a derisive "screw you/I don't care" kind of exclamation.

Home Alone
(1990)
Directed by Chris Columbus
Nominated by @rauldc14

Story of Kevin, a young misfit boy, who's parents forgot and left him home during a Christmas holiday vacation to France. Kevin learns to take care of himself and even thwarts a pair of criminals, who are attempting to steal from his home.

This movie is considered an "All-Time Christmas Favorite". Its not one of my favorites. It's just an ok film to me. It was a good watch and I haven't seen it in a long time.

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
(2018)
Directed by Lasse Hallström and Joe Johnston

A dramatic movie based on the short story by E. T. A. Hoffmann "The Nutcracker and The Mouse King" and Tchaikovsky's ballet "The Nutcracker". Story of Clara, a young girl who has lost her mother, and a gift that she received on Christmas Eve of an egg-shaped box, with a missing key. In search of the key, leads Clara to the land of Four Realms, one reigned over by her mother, Marie. There is a war brewing between three of the realms against the fourth, which was a ruse so that one ruler, The Sugar Plum Fairy, would now and always rule the realms.

I love ballet and have only seen pieces of The Nutcracker. This is a delightful family tale for everyone to enjoy, It even has the story of the Princess and the Mouse King within it.

Nestor, The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey
(1977)
Directed by Arthur Rankin Jr and Jules Bass

Story of the donkey that carried the pregnant Mary to Bethlehem. Nestor was born in the northern part of Europe. All the animals in the stable would laugh and make fun of him due to his long ears. One night, the Roman Soldiers came for donkeys, thinking the owner of the stable was trying to cheat the empire, they took all the donkeys without paying the owner. The owner of the stable took Nestor and threw him out into the snowstorm. Nestor's mother ran after her son in the storm. She protected him with her body as the storm raged. In the morning, she died to save her son. Nestor wanders until he meets a cherub named Tilly. Tilly tells Nester to go to Bethlehem. On his way, he is taken in by another stable master. One night a man and his pregnant wife were wanting to buy a donkey to take them to the city. They picked Nestor saying, he had gentle eyes. During a great sandstorm, Nestor was able to protect her and the unborn babe.

I am not a religious person at all, but Nestor is a show that can bring a tear to anyone's eye. I had been watching this every year since I was 10 years old. This is one of the GREAT Rankin-Bass holiday shows. It will continue to be and it's a shame it's rarely played anymore.