Nightmare on Elm Street Remake

Tools    

The movie looks interesting. I don't care too much for the voice, but oh well. Thy can't get it exactally like Robert Englund. I definately want to see this. And, if it's not good, i'll just go back to watching the original. Not a big deal.

Yes, the original film was an 80's slasher; the acting wasn't phenomenal, it was goofy, you were more likely to cheer on the baddie than be afraid of him, etc. It wasn't a particularly scary film (though I must admit, just the idea of things killing me in my dreams has kept me awake at night a few times). But the original slasher was fun to watch, even through it's cheesey bits. .

Hmm, sorry but I kinda have to call you out on this. How old was you when you watched this?? I watched this film around the age of 10, my cousins made me watch it in a dark room with us all together. And there was NOTHING cheesy about it. It was..and still is genuinely scary. For the life of me I don't know why I left this out of my Top 100, it's the biggest and scariest horror film I have ever seen to this day. 100% original, 100% unnerving, 100% iconic. This is my generation's Psycho. The on thing I agree with is that the acting is a bit bad, but only from a young and inexperience Heather Langenkamp and a couple of the other teens, other teens. Otherwise it's a wonderfully produced horror. The finest of american horrors. I watched the original recently and it still scares and haunts me. That's the power Wes Craven and Robert Englund created, dude. I'm quite prone to cheering bad guys, but even now, I don't see how anybody can cheer or get excited when somebody as painfully vile as Freddy Kruger appears on screen. This nightmare of a man is the devil himself and he'll always scare me shitless. Pre Dream Master.

I also disagree with you a lot when you say that Englund's performance is 'impossible to top'. I love Englund's performance as much as the next bloke, but the point is he sort of tainted his original genuinely frightening persona with the dodgy wise cracking theatrics in the sequels of diminishing returns. If anybody is going to top Englund's performance it's going to be an actor of the intensity of Jackie Haley. Hell I expect him to top Bob's performance, and that's no disrespect to Robert. Just Haley has so much going for him and his intensity is almost unrivalled.

I See You When You're Sleeping
The fact you see him in the trailer puts me off. Why do I want to see the same movie again with different actors? Why do they do that nowadays? In the trailer for Clash of the Titans you see the damn Kraken which is a mega spoiler for any chance of a climatic ending I'd imagine.

OK, I think I need to stop coming into this thread. The more I see him, the less interested I am. All the good work of that last trailer is being undone.

Semper Fooey
Thry should have done it with jonny depp and tim burton with alice, too.

This is so disappointing, they are destroying something truly terrific.

How are they destroying anything? They aren't even touching the 1984 film. Now if they took the original film from back then and literally did something to that...then, I'd complain. I'm kind of interested in seeing this redux of Elm street. It's supposed to be darker, grittier and more realistic in tone. I'm anxious to see it.

More realistic in tone?!?! HTF are they doing that? It's about a man who kills people in their dreams. It's not realistic, is it? The original wasn't exactly set in Disneyland, was it, so it's not as if they can set it in 'our world' or anything. Seriously, I know that "darker, grittier and more realistic in tone" are your words, jrs, but if they've actually used those words then I'm even more put off than I was before.

Honestly, I've got to stop coming in this thread. I was completely non-plussed about this film until I saw that last trailer. That made me think that they could, maybe, just pull this off, but everything since then has got me thinking I was right in the first place.

Director Samuel Bayer has said, "We wanted this film will be realistic, or as realistic as a film about a guy who kills you in your dreams - can possibly be. We want to him scary and nasty." Both Jackee Earle Haley and the director both have said in numerous interviews and articles that the film will be gritty, dark and horrifying as possible.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Am the only person who is actually looking forward to this then? Yes im a huge horrormovie fan and I love the Nightmare series but I am very interested in seeing this, in a way im glad that Freddie isnt a carbon copy of the prievious freddy and I really liked the new Friday 13th movie so lets give this a go

Nancy Thompson (Rooney Mara) is stalked by Freddy Krueger (Jackie Earle Haley) at the supermarket, in an all-new exclusive clip from the upcoming film entitled 'All I Have To Do Is Dream'. You can watch it here.

Director Samuel Bayer has said, "We wanted this film will be realistic, or as realistic as a film about a guy who kills you in your dreams - can possibly be. We want to him scary and nasty." Both Jackee Earle Haley and the director both have said in numerous interviews and articles that the film will be gritty, dark and horrifying as possible.
Thanks for that quote, jrs.

See, now I'm back to being as worried as I was before. How is what they've said in any way different to the tone of the original? Don't worry, I'll save you all the time trying to figure it out. The answer is, "it isn't." It's just all PR/media/business speak and what it really says is "At best we'll add absolutely nothing to the legacy of the Nightmare series and, although you'd be better off going and watching the original version, we're not going to make any money if you do that, so here's another one and we hope enough of you go and take a look at it to have made it worth our while."

Am the only person who is actually looking forward to this then?
Well, probably not the only one, but, erm... Yeah, pretty much.

How are they destroying anything?
Because they are taking this fantastic idea that has already been executed well and trying to do it again after how many successful sequels and messing everything up by getting another actor aside from Robert England to play Freddy. The make up doesn't look right, the voice is all wrong...there's not a word that fits how disappointed I am.

... messing everything up by getting another actor aside from Robert England to play Freddy. The make up doesn't look right, the voice is all wrong...there's not a word that fits how disappointed I am.
Apart from the idea of remaking it itself, the casting of Jackie Earle Haley has always been my biggest bugbear with this thing. I can't stand him.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im sure when this comes out and people see it they will enjoy it maybe no where near as the awesomeness of the original ones but just as someones reimagining. Look at the new Fri 13th Jason was more clever using tunnels, electric lights around the camp and he was also RUNNING, so Id sat just give this a go and im sure people will enjoy it