Cloverfield (1.18.08)

Tools    

Someone needs their fill.
Here I was foolishly thinking that this was a preview from Transformers 2 or some other remake of Godzilla. Is it confirmed that this is a monster movie or is it just rumoured?

Here I was foolishly thinking that this was a preview from Transformers 2 or some other remake of Godzilla. Is it confirmed that this is a monster movie or is it just rumoured?
It is a teaser before Transformers and some kind of non Godzilla 'interesting' looking monster flick.

Lets put a smile on that block
Love the look of this film. I am officially hooked and searching out the clues to give me more info! This is gonna be good.

2008 is shaping up to be a good year for apocalyptic films, or at least films which involve mass destruction, which in my books, is always very interesting.

First we have this one, which i think could leave 1.18.08 as the title and it would still be pretty satisfying. I mean by the looks of it from the trailer, all of the action takes place in real time over one night/day. Firstly its all gonna be on hand held cam, ala Blair Witch. Secondly, the dude at the end of the trailer says something along the lines of "This will be a night you won't forget", emphasisng the whole real time thing. So, the title could literally be the day that this action is meant to be happening, and also the day of the release? I think that would be pretty cool.

Anyway, back to apocalyptic movies for 2008, we also have Neil Marshalls Doomsday, about a virus that breaks out, wiping out most of mankind, apart from a group of survivors who build a wall in Scotland to keep out the infected. Sounds pretty awse, looking forward to a trailer for this one.

Then we also have M. Nights new film [The Happening], an apocalyptic thriller about aliens that learn to control the earths plantlife and animals and turn them against mankind to wipe them out. Sounds pretty fricking cool.

2008 is shaping up GOOD so far...

Oh and as for 1.18.08, if you fiddle around on the website www.ethanhaaswasright.com, your email browser will pop up with a new message for you to send, saying something like 'Help me, i have survived!" in the subject heading. If you then send it blank to the supplied email address, you'll get this response. Pretty exciting stuff!

"I think I'm safe, for now. Wherever I go it isn't long before they find me.

It seems The Mezin are connected to every aspect of humanity, from culture and religion to our most advanced technology

I have to be more careful contacting all of you. When I began I thought I could safely speak about his writings and perhaps save us all...

but now it seems I will have to find a more subtle way to share his visions.

If this is the first message you have received from me do not give up hope! There are others that have gone before you, the way has been found, you only need to search and you will find the answers you seek. We will all have a role to play. We are getting stronger, our voices will be heard!

I have more of Haas's writings, once I find a secure way to transmit them I will leave you clues to find them.

The more I read the more I realize Haas was right………"

Oh and as for 1.18.08, if you fiddle around on the website www.ethanhaaswasright.com, your email browser will pop up with a new message for you to send, saying something like 'Help me, i have survived!" in the subject heading. If you then send it blank to the supplied email address, you'll get this response. Pretty exciting stuff!
"

Yeah the site reminds me a bit of Donie Darko and a few other puzzle/solve it sites. The first puzzle is a Simon Says type deal and when you solve it it shows you a little video clip, do not wanna give too much away for those who want to solve it on their own. Have not tried to beat the 2nd puzzle, will give it a try later.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
OMG! A monster movie! From the guy who made lost!? OMG! This will be the bestest!

Excuse me for not creaming myself. I really don't see potential...yet. Maybe later, but anything that includes the description "Monster movie" generally ends out being a giant money making piece of garbage.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
OMG! A monster movie! From the guy who made lost!? OMG! This will be the bestest!
I can only aspire to one day have merely a fraction of the incredible powers of sarcasm that you seem to posses. I am envy.
Just to let you all know the Ethan Haas sites have nothing to do with the movie.
Explain.

JJ Abrams told Ain't It Cool News that the site has no connection to the movie. It's just some puzzle thing, or else another marketing tool for something else. I presume someone found it and merely assumed it was related, for some reason.

He also indicated that there are sites to find, but that no one has found them yet.

Thanks Yods. This is intriguing. Damn those sneaky emails! but now i wanna find out what thats all about too.

My research must continue!

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I told you guys in my previous post, this is a marketing scheme similar to Microsoft's take with Halo 2's release with www.ilovebees.com. It's just a way for the studio to build up a fan base by means of playing hide and seek with a tint of puzzle solving with their websites. The Dark Knight did something like this, as I'm sure most of you know, with a way that allowed the user to reveal the face of the new Joker when visiting a site promoting Harvey Dent for Gotham City's new district attorney.

No doubt it works and builds up a fan base so early for a film; these things are always fun to go along with.

Oh, and blibby, World War Z, the film based on Max Brooks' book, is an apoclyptic zombie film that's due out in 2008, as is Will Smith's film I Am Legend, a film literally about the last man on Earth who does battle with vampires. That teaser is out online already, so be sure to check it out.

If anyone finds any of these sites that Abrams is talking about, be sure to post them in here.

P.S. How did that whole Ethan Hass thing get involved with this movie anyhow?

P.S. How did that whole Ethan Hass thing get involved with this movie anyhow?
That's what I'm wondering, too. Some people think it actually is connected to the movie, and that Abrams is denying it just to throw everyone off the scent/mess with them. This has two things supporting it: first, the fact that (as far as I can tell) no one knows how the two became associated to begin wtih, and second, that Paramount allegedly had the unlocked videos on the Ethan Haas site removed from YouTube the same day they had the bootleg teaser trailers removed.

Kooky, eh?

I may be mistaken about the locked part (trying to remember where I heard that...AICN TalkBack, probably), but I read that people were posting videos from the Ethan Haas site.

Anyway, locked or not, it's quite a coincidence, and I wouldn't put it past Abrams to "fib" a little for these purposes.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the Ethan Haas site I thought the whole thing looked like a watered down version of "Majestic." I admire the existence of such things but usually don't get caught up in them.

Beware The Probe!
I keep hearing it may be an HP Lovecraft type story possibly involving some sort of Cthulhu Mythos.

In any case it definately looks like my kind of movie.
I'll be looking out for it.

Thanks Yods. This is intriguing. Damn those sneaky emails! but now i wanna find out what thats all about too.

My research must continue!
Its a game alpha and omega