Why don't commonly we see texting/online dating in romantic cinema?

Tools    

So i'm writing this essay on how and if technology is seen as a romantic medium in film and I was interested to see what people thought as to why it is that we don't come across people communication via tech in romantic films to the same extent as we see it in real life.

A system of cells interlinked
I would think it is because communicating through tech is inherently cold and distant, which pretty much flies in the face of romantic ideals. Romance flourishes through subtleties such as body language and intimacy in conversation and physicality. Technology is kind of the antithesis of those things.

Welcome to the human race...
There's also the matter of film being a visual medium that emphasises images over words so prolonged scenes of characters sitting still while their texts pop up on screen wouldn't be that interesting to watch.

Yeah, but you know what? Even You've Got Mail looks kind of dated now...I crack up when I see Meg Ryan waiting for AOL to connect with all the noise followed by the infmaous, "You've Got Mail."

Weird is relative.
Love, Simon is a film that was released this year (based on a book) that's about two teens meeting anonymously online and developing a "romance" through email.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Online datings maybe only taken off in the last 5 years or so. To the point where it’s regarded as normal. Not saying it wasn’t massive before but maybe a bit taboo well no taboo but not desirable, not something to announce. Maybe we will see it more as the writers catch up. Wouldn’t mind seeing a rom com with a bloke from Nigeria trying to catfish someone from the US and then it turns out it’s the girl down the street in Nigeria and they live happily ever after.

Online datings maybe only taken off in the last 5 years or so. To the point where it’s regarded as normal. Not saying it wasn’t massive before but maybe a bit taboo well no taboo but not desirable, not something to announce. Maybe we will see it more as the writers catch up. Wouldn’t mind seeing a rom com with a bloke from Nigeria trying to catfish someone from the US and then it turns out it’s the girl down the street in Nigeria and they live happily ever after.
They fouk like minks raise rug rats and live happily ever after

They fouk like minks raise rug rats and live happily ever after
Yea except they don’t do it like minks they do it like catfish. And give birth to little catfish with human faces.

Weird is relative.
I want to see more films where there isn't "dishonesty" in online relationships, at least not more than there is when you initially meet people face-to-face, and then they get together in person and it's a normal relationship, even if it ends up being long-distance (traveling back and forth or figuring out some living arrangement to accomodate being in separate countries). Not all relationships that begin online have to end badly, right?

I want to see more films where there isn't "dishonesty" in online relationships, at least not more than there is when you initially meet people face-to-face, and then they get together in person and it's a normal relationship, even if it ends up being long-distance (traveling back and forth or figuring out some living arrangement to accomodate being in separate countries). Not all relationships that begin online have to end badly, right?
No they don’t, I’ve seen a few real life success stories. Really think online dating Is becoming or has become ‘how’ you date these days.

I'm of the opinion that directors -- still -- like giving their cast a lot activity, whereas texting is kind of static. Also, there is this persisting assumption that audiences (young audiences, especially) have some form of attention deficit disorder and are, to varying degrees, illiterate. Also, characters getting away from their phones is the only way anything can happen. All anyone has to do is call the cops and the movie's danger is over. All anyone has to do is record or take a picture on their phone to clear up an understanding the film tries to set up. Phones are great for real life drama, but not cinematic drama, so much.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Online dating is great. You don't even have to go outside.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Do they come in through your back door? 🤓
If it's Grindr they may well do