Best Russell Crowe movie

Tools    

Originally Posted by noojie
i think all his performances were pure definitions of Crap!

Easily LA Confidential. He showed off some very good physical acting, and put on a powerful performance.

L.A. Confidential, The Insider, Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind are the best i've seen.
I've yet to see Cinderella Man but I might buy it on DVD sometime.

What's In Your Woods
Gladiator & A Beautiful Mind

Just a girl who loves movies
Gladiator and a bautiful mind for me too. Didn't see the others mentioned here, so I cannot include them into my list

I dont like Russell Crowe that much, but he was very good in A Beautiful Mind

I like Russel Crowe in most of his recent blockbusters, Gladiator, Master & Commander and Cinderella Man. Though his acting in A Beautiful Mind was very good, it wasn't enough to keep me watching it

I loved Gladiator but also liked Cinderalla Man

1. L.A. Confidential (easily)
2. The Insider
3. Virtuosity
4. Gladiator
5. A Beautiful Mind

I thought Master and Commander was quite boring.

L.A. Confidential for me. Gladiator was good too. Those are the two films I enjoyed the most out of his anyways.

That's hard to pick, because a sizeable chunk of his biggest films are incredible. I'm going to have to pick Gladiator though.

He's was quite good in Cinderella Man.

L.A. Confidental
Cinderella Man
Gladiator

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Loved Gladiator and L.A. Confidential, I need to see Cinderella Man. I like Russel Crowe. He is a good actor, and whether you like his personality or not, he is a definite movie star.

My favourite was when he was on South Park though. LOL. "Fightin' "round the World."

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

1 Gladiator
2 Mystrey Alaska
3 A Beautiful Mind

Well my two favourite movies are "Gladiator" and "A beautiful mind" but i guess i will choose on first place the gladiator as it it is more profound and impressive too...too bad i havent seen "Cinderella man" - was really eager to see it but all the time this precioussss time...

L.A. Confidential closely followed by Master and Commander (Unappreciated movie... you can't knock it because it all took place on a boat... that was the point)

A system of cells interlinked
I have now seen most of his big roles, and I am sticking with LA Confidential...

A system of cells interlinked
I have now seen most of his big roles, and I am sticking with LA Confidential...

Originally Posted by Twain
Well obviously, I did like Gladiator. And get this, I liked Titanic too. Just because a movie is a mega million dollar blockbuster is no reason not to like it.

I know there are MoFos here who are true connoisseurs of film. Who understand the intricacies of movie making far better than me. They may see things in a movie that I don't see.

But I know what I like, dag gummit!
I'll comment here..

I am not sure people were coming down on gladiator purely for it's blockbuster status. I, for one, dislike the sporadic changes in style in gladiator. The opening sequence is shot and edited like a Tony Scott film, and I still think Ridley let him work on this section... The film then settles down and becomes at least watchable. Still, Crowe in uneven in this film, and I think it's just that the role needed a tad more range than Mr. Crowe posseses, and I do think he gave it his best shot, but just didn't have the skills needed to pull off Maximusin a way that he was riveting.

Another thing that bothers me is way they use the cgi in this film. As with Titanic, CGI was just a bit to mediocre to be convincing during this period of time, and I am pulled out of the experience by the shoddy compositing. It was apparent in the theater when I saw it, and now it's tenfold, having been introduced to much tighter effects these days. I can't totally knock it for that though, and subsequent viewings have raised my opinion of the film somewhat as a fun popcorn flick. It just falls short of "epic" for me. Phoenix IS great in it, and some of the other supporting characters (Proximo) turn in some good stuff, but it has a few warts too many to attain "Great" status...

ObiWan - You are damn right I compliment Ridley. The man made what I consider to be the greatest Science-Fiction film ever, and he also made one of the best thrillers of all time in Alien. His production design skills are unmatched, and the guy is a director. An accomplished, talented artist. I also understand he has made some ****, but few directors haven't....

Originally Posted by susan
i also liked him in virtuosity and in master and commander....
yeh i agree and i also think he did well in cindrella man. i didn't like him in virtousity.