Political thrillers re: Middle East recs

Tools    

As agreed in the Shoutbox, moving this here. I’ve probably seen most obvious stuff, love Argo, but Syriana has only left a fleeting impression.

I have: The Honorable Woman from Flicker.

Traitor from John McClane.

Open to miniseries too.

If you're open to miniseries, Park Chan-Wook's adaptation of The Little Drummer is great. Navigates both sides of the Israel-Palestine conflict with more immediacy than usual, and top notch suspense to boot.

Beirut with John Hamm is diverting, if a little slight given the material.

Not a thriller exactly, but Circle of Deceit is astute about the impartiality of journalism in relation to the Lebanese Civil War. Carries added queasy fascination for having been shot in Beirut while the war was still raging.

If you're open to miniseries, Park Chan-Wook's adaptation of The Little Drummer is great. Navigates both sides of the Israel-Palestine conflict with more immediacy than usual, and top notch suspense to boot.

Beirut with John Hamm is diverting, if a little slight given the material.

Not a thriller exactly, but Circle of Deceit is astute about the impartiality of journalism in relation to the Lebanese Civil War. Carries added queasy fascination for having been shot in Beirut while the war was still raging.
I have been avoiding Beirut for some reason, heard rather negative things. But I loved Hamm, didn’t realise he was in it. Will get around to it.

Circle of Deceit sounds great, but it’s The Little Drummer that got my heart racing.

Don't know if it fits what you're looking for but The Looming Tower (mini-series) is excellent.

Also, one of my favorite films, period, is Syriana.

EDIT: Ooops, just saw that you mentioned Syriana, but well

As agreed in the Shoutbox, moving this here. I’ve probably seen most obvious stuff, love Argo, but Syriana has only left a fleeting impression.

I have: The Honorable Woman from Flicker.

Traitor from John McClane.

Open to miniseries too.
The Outpost (2020)
Incendies (2010)
The Kingdom (2007)
Persepolis (2007)
Munich(2005)
The Seige (1998)

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Yay. Thanks for making it a thread !

And I was about to mention The Little Drummer Girl, although I've only read the novel. I was also thinking of the Night Manager, also (loosely) adapted from Le Carré, but it's less political.

Don't know if it fits what you're looking for but The Looming Tower (mini-series) is excellent.

Also, one of my favorite films, period, is Syriana.

EDIT: Ooops, just saw that you mentioned Syriana, but well
Thank you! Your recs always work for me. I didn’t love Syriana, but I appreciate that it’s a great film. Will rewatch. Maybe I wasn’t in the right mood.

Other picks that might apply...

The Attack (2012)
Persepolis (2007)
Munich (2005)
Paradise Now (2005)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Here's a Middle-Eastern movie.. I'm posting this because it's actually from their perspective, and very self-critical of the society, and the people and their lives.. I've only seen it once, so my memory might not be perfect. You might not think this is thrilling enough, but it is political/social, and takes place in Egypt...I even remember a bit of black comedy in the beginning, it changes tone, it's a unique movie that I don't feel has a genre, but I don't remember it being fast-paced.

BUT, I did rate this a 9/10, and it was the first Egyptian movie I ever saw.

Chit-Chat On The Nile (Thartharah fawq al-Nil) (1971)

Set against the backdrop of the 1967 Six-Day War, the movie adaptation of Naguib Mahfouz's novel follows the escapist, drug-fuelled riverboat meetings of a group of frustrated Egyptians from various walks of life.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Other picks that might apply...

The Attack (2012)
Persepolis (2007)
Munich (2005)
Paradise Now (2005)

"Persepolis" is the best anime I've seen... It's also very good, and not cliched or even predictable.

Yay. Thanks for making it a thread !

And I was about to mention The Little Drummer Girl, although I've only read the novel. I was also thinking of the Night Manager, also (loosely) adapted from Le Carré, but it's less political.
Forgot to say I absolutely adore The Night Manager, but that’s sadly been seen now.

Also, Christopher Lee said that the movie he's most proud of is Jinnah (1998). Haven't seen it yet, but I tend to trust that guy.
That’s a pretty big deal, so will definitely investigate.

Here's a Middle-Eastern movie.. I'm posting this because it's actually from their perspective, and very self-critical of the society, and the people and their lives.. I've only seen it once, so my memory might not be perfect. You might not think this is thrilling enough, but it is political/social, and takes place in Egypt...I even remember a bit of black comedy in the beginning, it changes tone, it's a unique movie that I don't feel has a genre, but I don't remember it being fast-paced.

BUT, I did rate this a 9/10, and it was the first Egyptian movie I ever saw.

Chit-Chat On The Nile (Thartharah fawq al-Nil) (1971)

Set against the backdrop of the 1967 Six-Day War, the movie adaptation of Naguib Mahfouz's novel follows the escapist, drug-fuelled riverboat meetings of a group of frustrated Egyptians from various walks of life.
Thanks so much, especially valuable in that light.

Also, Christopher Lee said that the movie he's most proud of is Jinnah (1998). Haven't seen it yet, but I tend to trust that guy.
Had never heard of this, but apparently the film isn't available this side of the pond.